Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to look for when buying a F-Body LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
I never owned a manual car before mine, how would you be able to feel the clutch? Mine seems fine to me but how would i know if it was bad, never driving one brand new or one bad. you know what i mean, thanks

On mine the effort of pushing the clutch was strenuous. My buddy would never let me near his LT1, so I did not know the slave was nearly shot.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but I would also check the rear tire wells for melted rubber on them, if theres alot of it, the car has probably seen alot of burnouts which can be a bad thing. Also, see if the rear hatch shocks work, if not, no biggie, cheap fix!! Good luck findin one man!!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

shoot for a 2001-2002 T/A if you can, they have the least amount of problems. the 98's have issues. I know this because I didnt do the research and mine blew up. connecting rod bolts come loose on them.

Bring a friend to stand behind the car to look for smoke on startup

Check the oil to see how it looks

Check the trans fluid if its an A4

Check the wheelwells/bumper for lots of rubber

Tire check- are they bald?
If it has drag radials on it.. well that one explains itself lol

Next, ask em if he/she has ever been to the track

when you turn the key on, see if the SES light is on, if its not, then they either disconnected it or turned it off.

M6 car? check to see how the clutch is.
Definately check the clutch fluid to see if its black, as that is a sign of beating the car or never changing the fluid

see how the hatch and the hood line up, beating on the car at the track will make things a lil crooked. torque will do that lol

A4 transmission, listen and feel how it shifts. it shouldnt shift real hard, but it should be slipping either

M6, listen to the trans, see if it clunks or grinds going into any gear. put it into 6th gear around 40-45 mph. then floor it. if the clutch is going bad, the RPM's will jump up but you wont be accelerating much. If it just lugs, then the clutch isnt at the end of its life.

Also, listen for rear noise, such as massive amounts of whine, clunking and grinding

then theres little stuff like the slow pass. window, loose windows, bad headlight motors etc etc

Another thing you could do is take a quick look at their driveway/parking spot for oil/fluid spots when you are moving the car

Last edited by 98TADRIVER; 12-15-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
shoot for a 2001-2002 T/A if you can, they have the least amount of problems. the 98's have issues. I know this because I didnt do the research and mine blew up. connecting rod bolts come loose on them.

Bring a friend to stand behind the car to look for smoke on startup

Check the oil to see how it looks

Check the trans fluid if its an A4

Check the wheelwells/bumper for lots of rubber

Tire check- are they bald?
If it has drag radials on it.. well that one explains itself lol

Next, ask em if he/she has ever been to the track

when you turn the key on, see if the SES light is on, if its not, then they either disconnected it or turned it off.

M6 car? check to see how the clutch is.
Definately check the clutch fluid to see if its black, as that is a sign of beating the car or never changing the fluid

see how the hatch and the hood line up, beating on the car at the track will make things a lil crooked. torque will do that lol

A4 transmission, listen and feel how it shifts. it shouldnt shift real hard, but it should be slipping either

M6, listen to the trans, see if it clunks or grinds going into any gear. put it into 6th gear around 40-45 mph. then floor it. if the clutch is going bad, the RPM's will jump up but you wont be accelerating much. If it just lugs, then the clutch isnt at the end of its life.

Also, listen for rear noise, such as massive amounts of whine, clunking and grinding

then theres little stuff like the slow pass. window, loose windows, bad headlight motors etc etc

Another thing you could do is take a quick look at their driveway/parking spot for oil/fluid spots when you are moving the car

Everything you said made sense, except for the part about 01-02 Trans Am. Any 1998-2002 fbody will give you great reliability provided it was properly maintained/serviced and was not beat on.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check PCM wiring for any splice marks or electrical tape, could have had a window switch for nitrous
Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 thing in my book: Check the oil.

I went and looked at a few GTOs for my girlfriend, and 1 of them had literally zero oil in it, even when the dealer said it was the car he was driving around every day. He said they did a full fluid flush. Well I guess but he didn't put anything back in!

Everyone else has covered everything else.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

WTF from almost three yrs ago and this poster is banned ROFL.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I didn't notice that.

Quick Reply: Things to look for when buying a F-Body LS1