New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Octane gas in LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always use 91 but once I tried some 93 and didn't notice any difference. i'll never go lower than 89 but will probably always use 91
Old 01-01-2008 | 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only run 91 octane in my car.
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greystar
Have you ever even put your theories to any sort of test? My best times at the track while I was stock (13.1 @ 109) were run on a tank of 87 octane. Funny that.

Is it better to run 91+ if you're driving the car hard? Absolutely. Do you have to? Not if you're careful and pay attention to whats going on.

As long as people know the potential risks of running a lower octane and driving the car hard then just go about your own business.
Have you ever seen a bottle of kitchen cleanser that has "fatal if swollowed" written on the label? Ever test that to be sure they aren't lying? Of course not.

The owners manual says 91+ gives the best performance. Most 10 second or faster guys at the track will tell you 91+ gives the best performance. Most people here at ls1tech will tell you that 91+ gives you the best performance.

An ls1tech moderator even agrees:

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
- Your STOCK car will perform it's best and get peak MPG with the use of 91-93 octane fuel.

- Your STOCK car will run, drive, and do fine on 87 or 89 as well, but MPG may suffer by a *slight* amount, and power may also be decreased (just how much will depend on several factors).
The only funny thing I see here are people actually using 87 octane and trying to talk other people into doing the same
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I am not trying to talk anyone into using 87. I haven't gotten that idea from reading here - however, the reverse is true. Those running premium have actually said - "only use premium".

I think it comes down to what you do with your car. I have owned my 2000 for a little more than a month. I have yet to do a WOT run. The wet, cold, and potentially icy conditions just have not allowed that. Also, it's just not how I drive any more. Furthermore, I do not go to the track.

Does the pedal ever see the floorboard? Sure - but it's the exception, not the norm. There are a lot of people (not all) saying I am hurting my engine by using 87 - what do you think you are doing to all the components in the car in addition to the engine by running that hard so frequently?

I am not a techie - I have never torn down a motor. However, I can hold my own on technical issues and repairs. I also agree with some here who have said - let the numbers decide - everyone here has an opinion, and without hard data or numbers - opinions are what are being expressed.

If you want to run premium you are abiding by GM's recomendation - period. But if you are not driving the car like you stole it - I don't see where any data (including GM's verbiage in the owners manual) suggests there is a problem with 87.

We need to make informed decisions on everything we do and buy in life. Buying what a manufacturer says is the "best" - because it costs more does not always mean it's true. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 01-02-2008 | 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ghardester
The owners manual for my '02, which I have right in front of me says " If your vehicle has the 5.7L V8 engine ( VIN Code G) use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If it is bad enough it can damage your engine.

I would rather eat roots and live in a tent than put low octane fuel in my car. But that's just me.
HAHAHAHA. I feel the same way. Use bp premium, it's the best fuel out there (besdies racing fuel)

BTW ever look on a corvette dashboard, on my dads 04 it says right next to the needle "premium fuel only" it has the ls1...

All edits performed at once:

Edit: I thought this was hilarous... "And what's classified as normal? Driving like grandma and grandpa? There are times when driving fast is appropriate. Going to the track is one. It'll be great when you're running 14's @100mph pinging all the way down the track on 87 octane."

Edit 2: I don't care what anybody else uses nor am I trying to persuaid anybody on using 91+. I know for a fact that BP refines petrolium differently than other manufactures and it burns cleaner and better. I burn it not only because of the fuel additives that help keep my motor clean, but because it is better for the enviroment, for whatever that is worth. Some people burn 87, go for it, it wasn't designed for it, but it will work. My opinion is that it's stupid to buy a camaro and cop out on premo gas, it is a legendary performace car correct?

Edit 3: Why in the f*k am I only getting 12mpg. I just bought my 00 SS and put in bp premo both times, it's been 387 miles and i've had to fill it up twice already. It's stock under the hood except for a k&n filter, is it tuned? It's not leaking anything. Also it's my first manual car, so i'm driving it like a big vag. Shouldn't it be getting better gas mileage?

Last edited by liquidsmooth; 01-02-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2008 | 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
BTW ever look on a corvette dashboard, on my dads 04 it says right next to the needle "premium fuel only" it has the ls1...
Isn't the compression ratio higher on this motor for the vette?

Isn't it 9.5:1 for the Camaro and 10.1:1 for the LS1 in the vette?

That doesn't come free.
Old 01-02-2008 | 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by scottso
Isn't the compression ratio higher on this motor for the vette?
No.

Isn't it 9.5:1 for the Camaro and 10.1:1 for the LS1 in the vette?
It's 10.1:1 in any LS1. Doesn't matter if it's a Camaro, Corvette, or Firebird.
Old 01-02-2008 | 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

I am not trying to talk anyone into using 87. I haven't gotten that idea from reading here - however, the reverse is true. Those running premium have actually said - "only use premium".
The reverse is not true. People here, including myself, are saying "we" would only use premium gas in "our" cars.

I think it comes down to what you do with your car. I have owned my 2000 for a little more than a month. I have yet to do a WOT run. The wet, cold, and potentially icy conditions just have not allowed that. Also, it's just not how I drive any more. Furthermore, I do not go to the track.
How you drive your car is your business. Personally if I just wanted an fbody for the looks and never cared about performance then I would have just gotten a V6. They were meant to use 87 octane, are more affordable to buy and are usually cheaper to insure.

But that's just me.

Does the pedal ever see the floorboard? Sure - but it's the exception, not the norm. There are a lot of people (not all) saying I am hurting my engine by using 87 - what do you think you are doing to all the components in the car in addition to the engine by running that hard so frequently?
These motors are built to hold up well. You're not hurting your motor with 87 octane but it will affect performance. I basically live at the track and have seen time and time again how well these motors hold up. I worry more about the transmission and rearend then I ever would the engine. At least for power levels below 500 rwhp.

I am not a techie - I have never torn down a motor. However, I can hold my own on technical issues and repairs. I also agree with some here who have said - let the numbers decide - everyone here has an opinion, and without hard data or numbers - opinions are what are being expressed.
The track numbers are what decide it for me. I'll take performance over saving liteally a few dollars any day of the week and twice and test-n-tune Sunday.

If you want to run premium you are abiding by GM's recomendation - period. But if you are not driving the car like you stole it - I don't see where any data (including GM's verbiage in the owners manual) suggests there is a problem with 87.
I don't think there is a problem. But most people here at ls1tech want performance, mod our cars and are willing to spend a few extra bucks for the good stuff (93 octane for me).

We need to make informed decisions on everything we do and buy in life. Buying what a manufacturer says is the "best" - because it costs more does not always mean it's true. Wouldn't you agree?
This is not a case of GM "lying" to us. And if you think it is then get a hold of the people at myth busters and see if you can get them to prove us all wrong.

Until then I will continue to stand with the vast majority and use 93 octane in my car. It costs what about $4 more per tank to use premium? You can't even get a pack of smokes for that anymore

I think cigarettes are around $5 a pack here. Makes me glad I quit smoking six years ago
Old 01-02-2008 | 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

It cost me about $3 more than regular per tank. And everyone criticizes me for "waisting" my money on premium.
Old 01-02-2008 | 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a 93Z back when i was in highschool and i would use the cheapest 87 i could find... brand didnt matter. I ended up having to change the fuel pump and using the fuel cleaners for the injectors.

It could have been coincidence... but ever since i got my 99Z, ive never put anything less then 91. Just because i ended up spending 400+ to fix it myself.
Old 01-02-2008 | 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

I can't beleive this isn't locked yet, whoever drives an LS1 and puts 87 in it should be pistol whipped! Why buy a performance car and put **** gas in it? Its like putting a turbo kit on your car and running it with the wastegate wide open so it won't build boost. Or disconnecting a spark plug or two or whatever the retarded case may be Absolutely stupid, IMO if you run 87 in a LS1 you should You are being a cheap bastard not spending the extra few bucks a tank or you shouldn't own a LS1 b/c you can't afford to even put the right gas in.
Old 01-02-2008 | 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1
The reverse is not true.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Originally Posted by BADpewterZ
PLEASE use premium!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Personally if I just wanted an fbody for the looks and never cared about performance then I would have just gotten a V6.
I do like the looks of the F-bodies. After losing my '96 - I couldn't even come up with another car I would want (used anyway). But as someone pointed out earlier - the point for filling up with premium is having the performance available when needed - not pounding the hell out of it all the time. That is the reason I like having this particular motor.

The track numbers are what decide it for me..
...and that's cool. That's your purpose - its what you do and what you enjoy. For me it's a daily driver that has some fun on tap.

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
i had a 93Z back when i was in highschool and i would use the cheapest 87 i could find... brand didnt matter. I ended up having to change the fuel pump and using the fuel cleaners for the injectors.
Back in the day, premium used to have a higher detergent content - that's not the case anymore.

Originally Posted by Websy21
You are being a cheap bastard not spending the extra few bucks a tank or you shouldn't own a LS1 b/c you can't afford to even put the right gas in.
My father-in-law used to sell gasoline. He used to buy fuel weekly from whoever had the best deal - Exxon, Shell, Citgo, etc.. Of course there are exceptions to everything, but octane aside - don't be so sure you are getting anything better based upon the name.

No reason for name calling. I'm playing devil's advocate here. Opinions and open minds are how ideas are concieved.

Last edited by scottso; 01-02-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2008 | 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hepcatws6
I always put 93 in
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
but i still run 93.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Originally Posted by jwatson
I always put 93 in mine also
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I could quote a ton more but I think you get the point.

I do like the looks of the F-bodies. After losing my '96 - I couldn't even come up with another car I would want (used anyway). But as someone pointed out earlier - the point for filling up with premium is having the performance available when needed - not pounding the hell out of it all the time. That is the reason I like having this particular motor.
Believe it or not there are people who don't "pound the hell" out of thier cars and still use premium. Most people here in this thread use premium. Most people registered here as ls1tech use premium. The GM owners manual recommends the use of premium.

There has to be a reason for that.

...and that's cool. That's your purpose - its what you do and what you enjoy. For me it's a daily driver that has some fun on tap.
My car wasn't always a weekend toy. I had to daily drive my Formula for two years. That's two years in Chicago seeing rain, snow, ect. Even then I used premium gas. For many of us it's just not worth saving the extra 3-4 bucks.

No reason for name calling. I'm playing devil's advocate here. Opinions and open minds are how ideas are concieved.
If the idea is to put 87 octane in my gas tank then that's one idea I would rather see aborted then conceived
Old 01-02-2008 | 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by streetassasin
dont be cheap, run the good stuff
^^^what he said^^^
Old 01-02-2008 | 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I deeply apologize for creating this thread lol
Old 01-02-2008 | 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Believe it or not there are people who don't "pound the hell" out of thier cars and still use premium.

I've been an LS1 owner (actually, now a 4-time LS1 owner) since 1999. I have never used anything but 93 octane in any of them. My '00 Trans Am was raced often, and modded somewhat heavily. But my other 3 LS1s have just been weekend cruisers, and they only see WOT action once in a while. Granted, I drive them a little harder than my DD, but 90% of the time it's just cruising.

Originally Posted by Chase22
I deeply apologize for creating this thread lol
No worries. This one has more than run it's course.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:38 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We are truly in the newbie tech forum if people are actually recommending 87 octane.

Psssst...guys...that sound of marbles rolling around in a coffee can...that's spark knock. Run some decent gas for God's sake.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane gas in LS1