Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons of A4's

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I've always obtained my best times drag racing while keeping the shifter in OD.

Just because the shifter is in OD doesn't mean you're racing in OD. If you're at WOT, OD won't engage until after 130mph (with 3.23s) or even higher with 2.73s. And from a roll, if you're already in OD, the trans will downshift back to 1st, 2nd or 3rd depending on your speed.
Well...I was refering to street/roll racing. Because why would you have a dead spot coming out of the hole/off the tree? At the track your right about OD...because your starting motionless from 1st gear and it dosent matter @ wot its not going to shift into OD. I was refering to driving down the highway in OD and matting the gas pedal. Its bad on 3-4 clutches, and causes a longer delay going from 4th to 2nd, than going 3rd to 2nd.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
These auto vs. manual threads always end up in the crapper. This will most likely be locked before the weekend after all of the childish opinions are posted (autos are for girls, M6 is for real cars, A4 best at the track, ect.).

+1 I see it coming too.

Ill just say to each his own and call it a day. An auto fits my driving style and everyone has there own opinions. And opinions are like *** holes....everybody has one.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea but its simple.

Automatics F T W
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by 408z28
I was refering to driving down the highway in OD and matting the gas pedal. Its bad on 3-4 clutches, and causes a longer delay going from 4th to 2nd, than going 3rd to 2nd.
Not all trans builders agree with this.

Some claim that the "dreaded" 4-2 downshift is a myth and isn't really any better or worse than a manual downshift to 3rd prior to a WOT roll run, which would then take you automatically from 3rd to 2nd @ WOT.

I'm not a trans expert, but I read enough on this topic from builders/sponsors on this forum to understand that it's really not going to make a significant difference either way you go.

If you search this topic in the Auto Trans section, you'll find quite a bit on this debate.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
These auto vs. manual threads always end up in the crapper. This will most likely be locked before the weekend after all of the childish opinions are posted (autos are for girls, M6 is for real cars, A4 best at the track, ect.).

I'll be watching it.

A little ribbing is fun, but when people start going too far is when I'll break out the
Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stalls suck on the interstate. I had a big 3500 in my 4L60E and when i punched it at 90mph (racing) it didn't want to do anything hardly. It just sounded like it ws revving but really wasn't going anywhere. Now from a dig it was awesome bc it would launch so hard. SO you choose what you want to do with the car.

Dig/traffic- A4

Rolls/easy driving- M6

Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Launching!

i would like to own a m6 someday . but check out the e/t time in my sig.. its an auto!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just put a stall in my 93 because my 2nd and 4th gear went out on the transmission. That was rebuilt by a local guy who gave me a great deal on a built transmission that can hold some power. With the stall it comes off the line very very nice, i thought i was going to have to switch to a t56 because the auto was not as fun, but after the stall went in, the car feels great.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's all personal preferance. I would never own an auto, they're just not for me. What do you want to do with the car?

In my opinion if you're asking which one to get then you obviously don't care too much when looking for a car. Just keep looking for the car that appeals to you and buy it, regardless of the trans. When I was looking for my car the second I saw A4 I hit the back button.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by alamantia
And my time driving our AUTOMATIC drag car is 6.42 @ 231 watch if you like. http://video.godragracing.com/etown/...hp?video=POE_2
I'll race you any day. But I would never drive a automatic muscle car unless it had a screw blower. To each his own but i find it god dam depressing seeing a nice classic muscle car like a 1970 chevelle and seeing an auto in it, its like the guy who owns it boughtit for his wife.
I find it exciting to see a nice powerful muscle car with a TH400, big stall and T-brake. The funny thing is it's always M6 guys on the internet that talk smack. At the track I have beaten two C6's, one GT500, one 03 Cobra and a few M6 LS1 F-bodies.

All of them trapped more then me. All of them were manuals. All of them congratulated me on taking the win. All of them asked about my stall and tires.

But none of them made any comments about autos being gay, autos being depressing or why would anyone want an automatic muscle car? That only happens on the internet.

I wonder why that is?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

For my situation, I think it's necessary for me to get a manual car. I'm going to be daily driving the car as well as modding it over time. With the Manual, I will get better gas mileage (20+) if I drive it normally. With the auto, after some gears & a stall, I'll be getting gas mileage in the mid-teens. Which I can't do considering I work at a grocery store making $8.12 an hour.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

End of the day its all matter of personal preference, the originator of this post simply want to know bothe the pros and cons of each to better his decision. When it comes to drag racing there is no substitute for an Auto, I just cant see buying a LS1 f-body and doing all that driving and basing the decision on a few times it goes to the track. I am lucky enought to come from a drag racing family where we have cars for the track and street therefore I only race mu z28 for fun on two occasions with street tires, with slicks I should be able to dump the clutch and get similar 60' times. To me, i have always seen the muscle car as a big engine and a manual transmission. Autos in a classic car erk me, thats just my opinion and preferemce. Getting back on topic, i think everyone covered the pros and cons pretty well tho
Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all comes down to your purposes in having this car. If youre racing, consistency is key when it comes to racing. This is where you would want an auto. There is no human error involved. You put it in OD and hit the gas. A M6 you can mechanically over rev by missing a shift and cause all sorts of destruction. The rear ends tend to last longer in the autos also. If you want to shift through the gears then obviously you want a M6. It's just up to you.

As for the argument of autos in classic cars, TH400 is the way to go. My uncle has had his TH400 in his 721rwhp 70 Camaro for 3 seasons and that is the only thing that hasn't broken yet. The first season was foot braking and the past two have been on the trans brake, it's the only constant thing. 434 stroked 400 on alcohol, the Motown block was split in half. His 9 inch center section broke, and the TH400 is still together. He's just now going to freshen it up, I think it deserves it.

I'd much rather see an auto than a manual in any car. It's just what I prefer, along with many others.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

End of the day its all matter of personal preference, the originator of this post simply want to know bothe the pros and cons of each to better his decision.
And your extremly insightful reply to him was:

Cons: Who wants an Auto Muscle car?
You didn't offer any information on gas mileage, drivetrain loss, converters, drag racing, roll racing, 10 bolt forgiveness, HP forgiveness, ect.

Then you followed that up with:

i find it god dam depressing seeing a nice classic muscle car like a 1970 chevelle and seeing an auto in it, its like the guy who owns it bought it for his wife.
So no one should ever own an auto muscle car unless it's for a girl. Anything else is simply depressing. Time to start drinking away my sorrows

When it comes to drag racing there is no substitute for an Auto, I just cant see buying a LS1 f-body and doing all that driving and basing the decision on a few times it goes to the track. I am lucky enought to come from a drag racing family where we have cars for the track and street therefore I only race mu z28 for fun on two occasions with street tires, with slicks I should be able to dump the clutch and get similar 60' times. To me, i have always seen the muscle car as a big engine and a manual transmission. Autos in a classic car erk me, thats just my opinion and preferemce. Getting back on topic, i think everyone covered the pros and cons pretty well tho
Nothing wrong with that. Manuals are a lot of fun and have plenty of thier pros to go with only a few cons. And if your first two posts had been this well written then I for one wouldn't have felt insulted.

Well said and good luck with your car.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

End of the day its all matter of personal preference, the originator of this post simply want to know bothe the pros and cons of each to better his decision.
Funny how you were the first one to start throwing mud, yet now you say this.

This post should have been your first one.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Wow. I cant believe all the replies I've gotten already. I have another quick question. Say I get an A4, throw a 3000-3500 Stall in it, would it affect what kind of gears i could run in the rear end. A buddy of mine runs 4:10 in his M6 Z28, which I know is fairly common. But what about in a auto? Could I run 4:10's, or would i have to go with something more like 3:53's or 3:73's?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I chose to offer my personal opinion, there was no factual supportiung evidance in that post, its just an opinion and my opinion still stands that I wouldt want a manual in a muscle car unless I was plannin on having my girlfriend drive the thing which she will not. I'm allowed to give opinions in a car forum am I not? And as posted about racing manuals and having the guys congradulate you afterwads and not mocking the fact that he had an Auto. I would never walk up to someones pride and joy and rip apart their personal prefference. I would meerly not buy an Auto because its an fbody, had it been a mini van we were talking about, well then i would go for the Auto.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6ForLife
Wow. I cant believe all the replies I've gotten already. I have another quick question. Say I get an A4, throw a 3000-3500 Stall in it, would it affect what kind of gears i could run in the rear end. A buddy of mine runs 4:10 in his M6 Z28, which I know is fairly common. But what about in a auto? Could I run 4:10's, or would i have to go with something more like 3:53's or 3:73's?

Rule of thumb is 4:10's for a M6 and 3.73 for an A4 but Motive does make a 3.90 set for a 3 series carrier
Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I find it exciting to see a nice powerful muscle car with a TH400, big stall and T-brake. The funny thing is it's always M6 guys on the internet that talk smack. At the track I have beaten two C6's, one GT500, one 03 Cobra and a few M6 LS1 F-bodies.

But none of them made any comments about autos being gay, autos being depressing or why would anyone want an automatic muscle car? That only happens on the internet.

I wonder why that is?
And on a second note, just reading through hear, I'm not tryin to get an argument started between everybody, I'm just asking for personal opinions, thats all. Like one of the posts say, I don't care which car I buy, it being an M6 or an A4, either or I'll be happy. I guess what I'm really tryin to get out of this is, which one will give you a better 1/4 time and can handle the beating of racing better. The autos just appeal to me a bit more becuase they seem a little harder to mess up, because you always have percise shift points, and never have to worry about missing a gear. Not to mention, you also dont have to worry about frying a clutch when ya burn em!! Thanks again guys!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6ForLife
Not to mention, you also dont have to worry about frying a clutch when ya burn em!! Thanks again guys!
Not so fast, my lock up clutch is burnt up on my converter right now. I have a Yank in the mail as we speak. Also you have to remember if and when you get an auto and you put a aftermarket converter in, you have to put a cooler in there too. I have 4.10's with mine and going 65 mph my motor is taching about 2300 rpm. I get 18 mpg with my mods. When I get my 12 bolt, I'll get 3.73's.