Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They work out nice....
Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

GM stopped putting a lot of little things on these cars towards the end to save money. Since buying my '02 Z28, I've noticed a lot of little things that GM put on my '98 Z28 but left off the '02. Here are a few off the top of my head:

- Black fender guard mentioned in this thread.

- Black plastic "beauty" cover that snaps in place over the driver's side hood hinge so it blends with the black cowl panel when the hood is closed.

- A peice of black weather stripping along the inside bottom of each door, sealing the door to the rocker panel.
So as much BS that 98 f-bods get they are the more "complete" late model lol. Have you made a thread or something to show what else is missing between 98-02s? I know my car has none or the three you listed and the next time I see an early 4th gen I'm going to take those fender guards.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
So as much BS that 98 f-bods get they are the more "complete" late model lol. Have you made a thread or something to show what else is missing between 98-02s? I know my car has none or the three you listed and the next time I see an early 4th gen I'm going to take those fender guards.
One of these days I'll update the "differences between the years" thread in the FAQ sticky to include these little things that went missing in the later years of F-body production. I'll try to take some pics of all the items too, plus I'll include other details that "changed" from '98-'02, like the interior rear view mirrior, steering wheels, seat fabric patterns, window trim finish, etc.

One other thing that comes to mind is the under-hood insulation. The "base" hoods (Camaro, Formula/Trans Am) have a padded hood insulator on the underside of the hood for the cars with metal hoods (i.e. not WS6/SS/Firehawk). But it's only on the '98-'99 cars. After '99 GM dropped that too.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Nope my 98 has nothing like that. Also, as stupid as the previous owners of my car may have been maintenance-wise, they apparently never jacked it up improperly. Frustrating thing is I need a new driver fender so it should be fun getting an OEM one in good shape without spending an arm and a leg. I'm hoping a local boneyard has one.
I picked one up cheap on ebay like 2.5 years ago. When I bought my '99 SS four years ago it had a cracked DS fender. I have a buddy that is a painter at a local Ford dealership, so I had less than $150 in the whole thing...parts and labor. I would check ebay
Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a sponser should jump on them lol! everyone needs them.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man these things are bad ***! Wish I had em before Discount Tire broke them last year! They offered to pay to replace the fenders so I went to 2 dealerships and they gave me a quote and like I said, this was like Jan '07 so I guess they still had the fenders available at that time.

I can't believe GM stopped putting those on their cars! Those are awesome!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You can drill holes and tap screws into the underbody to mount the bottom of the fenders. Then remove the entire tab situation, or just bend the metal flush with the undercarrige. I've seen that done before, it actually looked pretty clean. That tab looks a little silly from the side anyway.
I was thinking about that. that seems like a good idea but I wasnt sure what was under the fender that I could tap into. I may go to a pick your own part junkyard one of these days and see if I can find a early 4th gen to steal those fender savers from. I hate taking my car to a shop but just in case I have to in the future...
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Launching!

I even had those on my 96 base camaro in college come to think of it now. I'll try to dig up pics when I get home.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need my fenders fixed. They are terrible. This thread just depresses me.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

My 97 has the pads but the fender skirt flange hangs down lower than the jacking pad so if you catch the bottom of the skirt carlessly jacking the car up, Out comes the fender! lol
Old 01-07-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why is everyone popping a boner over these black 'feet' things??? All you have to do is put the jack 1" further inward UNDER THE FREAKING FRAME!!! You guys can go ahead and trust some shitty piece of plastic if you want, but i'd rather put my jack/jackstands under the frame

And if your worried about other people bending the tabs when they work on your car....either find new mechanics or do the work yourself. I prefer doing evrything myself

And yes, all you have to do is bend the tab inward and the fender lines right back up again. Previous owner of my car was an idiot too
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default fender cure, lifting

might not look good but it works !!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

That works!!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Why is everyone popping a boner over these black 'feet' things??? All you have to do is put the jack 1" further inward UNDER THE FREAKING FRAME!!! You guys can go ahead and trust some shitty piece of plastic if you want, but i'd rather put my jack/jackstands under the frame

And if your worried about other people bending the tabs when they work on your car....either find new mechanics or do the work yourself. I prefer doing evrything myself

And yes, all you have to do is bend the tab inward and the fender lines right back up again. Previous owner of my car was an idiot too
My jack would chip the paint off the frame, that's the only reason why I want them.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

the exact same thing happened to me today, and we both have pewter SS's lol. kinda weird but anyway. i was driving up on some ramps to change my oil and didnt have anybody to tell me when to stop and i guess i started up them a little too hard and the front tires went over them and the car sat on the ramps. nothing was damaged besides that piece of metal that screws onto the front fender so the fender stuck out just like yours, luckily i was able take the two screws out, bend it back with a set of channel locks, screw it back on and you'd never know
Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Why is everyone popping a boner over these black 'feet' things???
It's just insurance. It's a simple, cheap thing that GM should have kept using to reduce the chances of the tabs getting damaged. I've always noticed that it's much more rare to see the '93-'97 cars with bowed out fenders than the '98+. My guess is, these things offer some measure of protection.

Either way, I jack mine up on the SFCs so I'm not "trusting" these things as primary jacking points. But I like to have the insurance, just in case.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I freaking love GM for stopping the installation of the fender tab bumpers, then stop manufacturing new fenders as well... Gotta love it.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I still find it hard to beleive that GM has stopped suppling fenders for a car that's only 6 years old (an '02). I've never had an issue getting parts for any 6 year old car before.

Are you guys sure they aren't just on national backorder? That happened to me once with a power window switch. I tried to order one, and some code came back in the system that it was "discoded", but later they had them back in stock again.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

just make a big block of wood or metal with 2 holes and bolt it on there... what's the big deal? or just dont jack your car up from the fender ... it's a no brainer. oh and dont let jerkass shadetree mechanics work on your car...

Last edited by squirts1; 01-08-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Fender oh my :(