Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender oh my :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You can drill holes and tap screws into the underbody to mount the bottom of the fenders. Then remove the entire tab situation, or just bend the metal flush with the undercarrige. I've seen that done before, it actually looked pretty clean. That tab looks a little silly from the side anyway.
that is a damn good solution. self drilling/tapping screws, cut one tab off, bend the other tab flat and done. i might go ahead and do that to mine...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Launching!

I had the same thing messed up on my 95. I did the channel lock method of fixing them.

On a side note GM part # 10419546 and 10419545 are still good #'s. They are not disconinued.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this post is a couple months old but thought I would update it for those interested. After reading this post I decided to pick up a set of the black plastic fender guards discussed in this post. The ones I have were off a 97 TA and I noticed that they are different than the ones in post #17 made by RPM WS6. I now notice that the difference could be seen in post # 42 made by LS1 Bait. If you compare the photos in those two posts then you will see the difference. Apparently the 98s were changed and are not quite as wide. The LT1 style are wider and are not flat along the edge that is closest to the fender but rather have a tab or stepped out area for lack of a better term. When you mount the LT1 style on a LS1 car they fit just fine but come much closer to the fender mounting tab, maybe about an 1/8" space between the protecting block and fender tab. This seems to work just fine to me, but I have to believe that GM redesigned it for some reason. After all only some of the 98s came with them so the newer part was only ran for less than a year.

I have posted some pictures of the LT1 style as well as the part number which is 10232676.

Sorry for the long post, just thought some might be interested since these bent out fenders are relatively common.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice find
Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I've had two tire shops do this to my car. The first shop is located in NJ they were cool about it and immediatly told me. They offered to fix it but I said don't worry about, and used channel locks to bend them back. Fenders were perfect. Came down to florida to go to college and needed a tire change, went to Gemini Goodyear in West Palm Beach on N.Military Trail and the same thing happened. This is where it gets awry. To make a 2 1/2 page complaint letter short, the mechanic started cursing and staring me down while my friend took photos of the damage on another lift after I asked them to change lifts. Went to a dealer to get a qoute and it came out to be about $700 with only a visual inspection. I still haven't gotten it fixed yet(this happened around December 17 or so), thinking about doing it myself. I'll post up pics when my camera has a new SD(should be getting it tomorrow) and see if you guys think if I should even attempt it.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

my car is a 94 and it has those plastic pieces as well, but i dont like to take chances that last time i had my car at the shop for some dumbshit teenagers to put tires on it i pulled the "tech" aside that was working on my car and pointed out where he should jack up my car and where not to jack it.

i watched him just to make sure because i dont want to go through the hassle of dealing with that bullshit

i'll bet they thought i was a real ******* haha
Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't get OEM fenders for this car anymore?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess I was lucky when I got an OEM fender and bumper for $80!
Old 03-15-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goober79
Yea I've had two tire shops do this to my car. The first shop is located in NJ they were cool about it and immediatly told me. They offered to fix it but I said don't worry about, and used channel locks to bend them back. Fenders were perfect. Came down to florida to go to college and needed a tire change, went to Gemini Goodyear in West Palm Beach on N.Military Trail and the same thing happened. This is where it gets awry. To make a 2 1/2 page complaint letter short, the mechanic started cursing and staring me down while my friend took photos of the damage on another lift after I asked them to change lifts. Went to a dealer to get a qoute and it came out to be about $700 with only a visual inspection. I still haven't gotten it fixed yet(this happened around December 17 or so), thinking about doing it myself. I'll post up pics when my camera has a new SD(should be getting it tomorrow) and see if you guys think if I should even attempt it.

Sorry for the long post.
I would have had that shop pay for the damage they caused. Trust me, with enough work it can and will be done.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

94 T/A, 95 dumdumdumdumdum, 96 RS, 97 camaro, 99 RS, 99 Z28

ALL of them have had the plastic jack points

so obviously 1999 still had them around
Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

My passenger side fender is completely broken off, so I will have to either replace the fender or do the fix someone explained earlier in this post.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by wicknewman
I know this post is a couple months old but thought I would update it for those interested. After reading this post I decided to pick up a set of the black plastic fender guards discussed in this post. The ones I have were off a 97 TA and I noticed that they are different than the ones in post #17 made by RPM WS6. I now notice that the difference could be seen in post # 42 made by LS1 Bait. If you compare the photos in those two posts then you will see the difference. Apparently the 98s were changed and are not quite as wide. The LT1 style are wider and are not flat along the edge that is closest to the fender but rather have a tab or stepped out area for lack of a better term. When you mount the LT1 style on a LS1 car they fit just fine but come much closer to the fender mounting tab, maybe about an 1/8" space between the protecting block and fender tab. This seems to work just fine to me, but I have to believe that GM redesigned it for some reason. After all only some of the 98s came with them so the newer part was only ran for less than a year.

I have posted some pictures of the LT1 style as well as the part number which is 10232676.

Sorry for the long post, just thought some might be interested since these bent out fenders are relatively common.
Good info! Unfortunetly, I just ran that part number (10232676) and it's dis'coed by GM. Probably becuase it was updated with the '98 style ones. I'll try to get a part number off the ones on my '98, or I'll just take the number you posted to my GM contact and see if he can figure out what part number replaced it. Since the '98s are 10 years old now, there's a good chance that the newer version was also discontinued. I'll reply back when I have more info.

Originally Posted by badinfluenceRS
94 T/A, 95 dumdumdumdumdum, 96 RS, 97 camaro, 99 RS, 99 Z28

ALL of them have had the plastic jack points

so obviously 1999 still had them around
Not all '99s. You must have had an early build car. I bought a '99 Z28 brand new in July of '99, and it did not have the plastic guards.

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
My passenger side fender is completely broken off, so I will have to either replace the fender or do the fix someone explained earlier in this post.
I haven't confirmed yet if the fenders are discontinued myself, but if that is the case and your fender tabs are broken, personally I'd rather just removed the tabs and drill/tap screws to mount flush with the underside of the fender. That method looks clean, and allows you to get the body lines perfect again. I would only resort to aftermarket fenders if the whole stock fender was destroyed beyond repair.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not all '99s. You must have had an early build car. I bought a '99 Z28 brand new in July of '99, and it did not have the plastic guards.
dont know the build date but both of my 99s had them so i dont think there a rare option or anything
Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by badinfluenceRS
dont know the build date but both of my 99s had them so i dont think there a rare option or anything
Honestly, I can't remember the build date on my '99 either (maybe May or June?). But since I bought it so late in the '99 model year, I'm pretty sure it was a late build. So you could very well be right, that most '99s have these guards. Maybe just the very late '99s didn't get them.

I know that my '00 and '02 cars also don't have them. So some point in '99 was definitely the cutoff year.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah my 94 formula also has the guard deals... quite nice.. and i know for a fact that my buddy with a 97 z28 also has them because he thought they were jack points on the car and had the bowed out fender for a while till he decided to fix it
Old 03-26-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

my 01 was like that on the pass. side when i bought it. took about 10 min to fix but nonetheless annoying.

thats why i take my rims only to the tire shop. less stuff for them to f*ck up
Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM

My 94 has got them black thingys but they say on the side "do not lift here" not that i would.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

niether of my 2 have the fender protecters, the camaro i think was man'ed 06/98 and the ws6 in 05/99....i think this might have been a non-essential item that probably got backordered(lol, or lost and then found every few months at the plant!!!) and just never caught up to the car......wouldnt mind em for both cars.

another thing i wonder about is the gravel gaurd(black thick undercoating) on the entire underneath including the rear diff and suspension, but im not too sure if it was done at the dealership(it was undercoated says my paperwork, but with what?, might have been oil spray).....i have it on my t/a but not on the camaro(the camaro is a florida car) vs. the ws6 being a canadian car. but the undercoating looks a lot like that of RPM's pic.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 04/98 Build Formula has them!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

my friend broke mine off.. when we where using my lift I had told him before but apparently he jacked my 94 formula up wrong to

broke the whole tab off.. atleast the fender does bow out

anyway we can just drill the body and flush mount them so we dont even have to worry guys? make it alittle cleaner to.. I had read something from 2003-2004 on the site about this but pics where gone and the guy was gone aswell

Quick Reply: Fender oh my :(