Sponsored by:

Emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions question

Alright, so exhasut question?

I remove AIR and EGR, and either run O2 sims or get the deleted....

Will i be ok on emission, i live in PA, i i know they do visual check, so not have cats going to be a big deal?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

for the rear o2's you shouldnt find that being a problem. but the no cats thing yes you will have a problem. and you might not have a problem with the air and the egr but if the place does do it right you will. also what county you getting it done in?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You should try asking in your regional section. I'm not sure what the PA inspection is like.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get away with running ORY and LT's in PA:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.htm

They will not even open your hood if you are 1996 or newer and require an emissions sticker (as long as you are not throwing codes). They just do an OBD and gas cap check.

Note that this is a loophole that will allow you to "get away" with ORY and LT's. Relocating stock cat locations is still illegal per Federal Law, but you can get away with it in PA via the loophole.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

You must have cats no matter what state you live in, it is a federal law. Now how strict some states are on this is a totally different question
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink Cats?

Years ago, they did Dyno Tests on Cats. The Cats only cut power by 3 to 5hp. Be safe and leave them on.
If you have to get a Sniffer Test; do this. Hookup a manual switch to the air pump. Route the air pump into the exhaust.......like on a Y-pipe, put it at the "Y". This will make it look super clean to the Sniffer. I used this trick on a 1983 Mustang, with Holley Carb and it tested at 0.0 on the Sniffer. Can't get any cleaner than that.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
You can get away with running ORY and LT's in PA:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.htm

They will not even open your hood if you are 1996 or newer and require an emissions sticker (as long as you are not throwing codes). They just do an OBD and gas cap check.

Note that this is a loophole that will allow you to "get away" with ORY and LT's. Relocating stock cat locations is still illegal per Federal Law, but you can get away with it in PA via the loophole.
that is where you are wrong on 96 and newer the reason why it does not say visual is because the visual is in the inspection part for ob2 compliant vechicals. also link138 if you let me know which region you are in it will help some more. but your going to at least need cats. but does that mean if you know some one you cant pass no because they could lie and still pass you. its up to where you go and what they want to look at.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Teching In

It all depends on where u live in pa. Some places in pa do not even have emissions. Just go down to one of your local dealers or where ever you go to have your car inspected and talk to them about it. They will have better information then anybody on this site.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it really dont matter where your at as far as not having cats because every place in pa at least has a visual either in the safty inspection or emissions and you need cats.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fuseone
well it really dont matter where your at as far as not having cats because every place in pa at least has a visual either in the safty inspection or emissions and you need cats.
+1

You need cats period. Wether they work or not thats a diffrent story.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is where you are wrong on 96 and newer the reason why it does not say visual is because the visual is in the inspection part for ob2 compliant vechicals. also link138 if you let me know which region you are in it will help some more. but your going to at least need cats. but does that mean if you know some one you cant pass no because they could lie and still pass you. its up to where you go and what they want to look at.
Um, I said it was a loophole. Yes, you technically need cats, but you can get away without them. I have done it for years on a number of vehicles and garages. I agree that it is not a big deal to run cats, but you can get away without them if you wish. I know plenty of guys in PA cities running ORY. You can pull it off if you really want to.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You should try asking in your regional section. I'm not sure what the PA inspection is like.
^best advice
Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Hate cats they quiet the car down so much, I put a cat back on and I was pissed, it wasnt any louder than stock. Did the ory, much better.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

I live in Alabama where we have NO emissions checks whatsoever...I like it alot. could you possibly take the ypipe off and bang the material out? Thats what I did on my LT1. Then it still looks like you have the cat.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look up the emissions testing stuff, theres a brochure online that breaks down all the regions of PA. Also, if you drive under 5000 miles a year you can get an exemption sticker.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Be careful, sometimes they have mirrors and they check under your car...if you really are worried about emissions, then put on hollowed out cats if they do indeed decide to check.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

that is where you are wrong on 96 and newer the reason why it does not say visual is because the visual is in the inspection part for ob2 compliant vechicals. ...
Actually, JohnnyC is correct. The requirement for a visual inspection of emissions is county specific. The link he provided identifies the requirements of each county (if a county is not on the list, then a visual inspection is mandatory). For example, in my county, Bucks, the only emissions testing required for MY1996 and newer (under 8500 GVWR) is the OBD I/M & gas cap test. Of course, this does not preclude the inspection station from doing a visual check. But, in my experience, to maximize throughput, profitability and customer retention, most emissions stations will only test to the minimum standard required of them.

Now, these requirements serve to limit the liability of the inspection station, but not that of a vehicle owner. In fact, any PA police officer that suspects you of being non-compliant (by, for example, loud exhaust, excessive smoke, or if they cannot see an expected piece of emissions equipment from outside the car...yes, they are allowed to look underneath the car) can order you to an inspection station for a visual inspection. Even if it's a station you just left two minutes ago with a new sticker. You're liable, they're not (if your vehicle met the minimum criteria). Since the State Police have the primary responsibility for vehicle safety & emissions in PA, I think they can declare you non-compliant on the spot under their own inspection (if there's any statie perusing this thread, please chime in).

So, given all that information, make your own decision.