New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if im moving at all, even a creep i go from second (even from a dead stop sometimes) just a lil higher in the rpm's and let the clutch out the same. the way i see it, if you dont wanna shift, get an auto, its callled a "manuel transmission" for a reason. =] and slap your buddy to ensure he never does it again
Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I think I have something to say about the avatar thing. Anyway your friend is crazy.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha there should be an avatar war somewhere LMAO!!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newton
And by the way, don't wait in gear. Leave it in neutral.
Why??
Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Where did you come up with that? You change gears for a reason.

Original poster:
Your friend is a Moron. Bitch slap him for touching the gearshift.
well ive used a 2nd gear start alot of times after i put my gears in. didnt feel any different than a 3.42 1st gear start.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Launching!

Nobody should ever touch your shifter unless you let them(I let my girlfriend shift sometimes to get a feel for it, I'm in the process of teaching her to drive a manual...while my clutch is on the chopping block so I gotta teach her to shift)... thats just rude/inconsiderate/dangerous. Anyway, I can see starting in 2nd to save gas, but it would be at the expense of your clutch, so why bother? When I'm driving to save gas, I go from 1st to 3rd or 4th... seems about the same as going from 2nd to 4th or 5th.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
Why??
Good question, I really don't know. When I was taught to drive a manual, I was taught to not wait for extended periods in gear with the clutch in.

Anybody have a say whether it is bad any component of the transmission to wait in gear?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 AM
TECH Resident

your friend is dumb and lazy just because it can do it doesn't mean it should be done that way your clutch will thank you in the long run

i've accidently started my car in third one time haha it didn't do too bad actually

and to the poster who asked why you should keep you car in neutral at stoplights with the clutch out is because leaving it in gear with the clutch in puts unneeded wear and tear on on the throwout and pilot bearing
Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
and to the poster who asked why you should keep you car in neutral at stoplights with the clutch out is because leaving it in gear with the clutch in puts unneeded wear and tear on on the throwout and pilot bearing
Good enough for me!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Teching In

im a firm believer in leaving the car in gear at a stop. Reason being for the simple reason, if the car is in neutral, and persay you get rear ended, your car is going to roll into the intersection, and chances are your going to get t-boned. I leave it in gear, for the reason of if you do get rear ended, chances are your foot is going too fall off the clutch, and mos likelly stall the car, keeping it from rolling. There is a little bit of excess wear, but IMHO its worth it.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always start in 1st unless its snowed/slick outside then i start in 2nd. Even with 4:10's 2nd on dry pavement I have to unnecessarily ride the clutch ('cause of the cam).
Old 01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any other reasons why shouldnt wait in 1st gear at a red light? I do it all the time and i would rather have my car last as long as possible without any repairs. thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
im a firm believer in leaving the car in gear at a stop. Reason being for the simple reason, if the car is in neutral, and persay you get rear ended, your car is going to roll into the intersection, and chances are your going to get t-boned. I leave it in gear, for the reason of if you do get rear ended, chances are your foot is going too fall off the clutch, and mos likelly stall the car, keeping it from rolling. There is a little bit of excess wear, but IMHO its worth it.
Haha, but consider on the other hand, leaving a car in neutral can minimize the damage from the rear end collision. Unless you are parked all the way up front across the pedestrian lines, the rear ender shouldn't push you too far forward.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Teching In

if the car is in neutral, itll roll dude......think about it. if your getting rear ended, and your in the front of the line, last thing your gonna have on your mid at that instinct it to hold the brake pedal down if it is a decent impact. Anyways, thats just my .02
Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
if the car is in neutral, itll roll dude......think about it. if your getting rear ended, and your in the front of the line, last thing your gonna have on your mid at that instinct it to hold the brake pedal down if it is a decent impact. Anyways, thats just my .02
Rolling is good. If you have the brakes firmly pressed while he hits you, your car is going experience more rear end damage because of the resistance. But you have a point about being first in line.

Whatever, back on topic.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
I thought it was to keep your leg from getting stiff holding the clutch in

Though I don't know what these clutches are like, the one in my friend's mustang that I practiced manual in a couple times is fairly stiff.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

ya we got something called brakes they are for stop signs, redlights and other stops the only time im bad is on hills for about 1-2 seconds the car might be held by the clutch I hate doing it but coming up to my house there is a 4 way hill and then i park facing down on a pretty good slope so I cant win either way
Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

I started in second in my m6 therefore you don't have to mess around with skip shift and just for better gas mileage
Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Waiting in gear doesnt hurt anything on our cars. With the older cars that had clutch cables it would cause them to stretch faster so they had to be adjusted more often Not a problem with our cars. As long as it is all the way in.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by araber89
Hell yes on the AVATAR! Anyhow I gave the guy a talk about the clutch slipping and buring it up faster and what not but he brushed it off. The worst part was he said "Dude I always started in 2nd in my prom car so I wouldn't have to shift right away." He had a RSX type S. I thought to my self does this look or sound like a mother freaking ricer but I was nice and just smiled and kept starting in 1st. He will learn.
Nice sig

Quick Reply: 2nd gear start?