Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first round of mods help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first round of mods help

ok after i get my fender repainted from a keyscratch im going to move on do upgrading some stuff on my car, ive read a lot of stuff on here about which mods to do first and i read the sticky thread so you wanna be fast..... (very helpfull thanks for writing it), im pretty happy with the power level of my car right now so i dont want to do anything crazy, but better throttle response and a little more power/sound would be good especially lower in the rpm's, im happy with suspension for now also, but i do want to get rid of wheelhop, i also think i want more braking power i dont like how fast they fade, heres the list in order of what i want to do:
LID
slotted cross drilled rotors with performance pads
better lower control arms
ported stock Throttlebody
cat back exhaust (one thats not to loud no need for extra police attention)
maybe SFC

is an aftermarket catback really much better than the ss exhaust? has anyone gotten the rotors from the ebay dealers? does this list look good or is it out of order or need different stuff added in? any opinions will help thanks in advance
Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

could be wrong here, but i think i read a thread on here about brakes. and they came to the conclusion that pads make a bigger difference than rotors, the slotted and cross drilled stuff is great for looks and if you are auto-x where they need to be kept cool, but for street use i would'nt spend the money on new rotors, just pads.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thanks that could save me a lot of wasted time and money, what kind of pads would you suggest, ceramic? semi metalic? theres a lot of choices, does the rest of my list look good?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

I dont own an F-body, and I am no expert so thats a question for someone else sorry. I was just mentioning what i remember reading in past threads. If I'm wrong someone will hopfully correct me. I'll search some and see if i can find it for ya though.

EDIT: heres an example https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rotors+slotted
Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol ya that fine thanks for all the help ill research it a little more to
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binks0678
ok after i get my fender repainted from a keyscratch im going to move on do upgrading some stuff on my car, ive read a lot of stuff on here about which mods to do first and i read the sticky thread so you wanna be fast..... (very helpfull thanks for writing it), im pretty happy with the power level of my car right now so i dont want to do anything crazy, but better throttle response and a little more power/sound would be good especially lower in the rpm's, im happy with suspension for now also, but i do want to get rid of wheelhop, i also think i want more braking power i dont like how fast they fade, heres the list in order of what i want to do:
LID
slotted cross drilled rotors with performance pads
better lower control arms
ported stock Throttlebody
cat back exhaust (one thats not to loud no need for extra police attention)
maybe SFC

is an aftermarket catback really much better than the ss exhaust? has anyone gotten the rotors from the ebay dealers? does this list look good or is it out of order or need different stuff added in? any opinions will help thanks in advance
I personally would advise against cross-drilled rotors. I alsways hear about them cracking between the holes and when I tried them they did it to me too. I bought my slotted rotors from THEWS6STORE for like $170 i think. They work great, they are quiet, stop great, look great.Just my two cents.

Also if you are planning on anything other than grandma type driving I advise SFCs soon.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by binks0678
alright thanks that could save me a lot of wasted time and money, what kind of pads would you suggest, ceramic? semi metalic? theres a lot of choices, does the rest of my list look good?
Ceraminc pads are easier on your rotors but dont "bite" as much. Therefore you will loose a bit of stopping power. I use the Hawks SemiMetallics with WS6 store slotted rotors for a great combo.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I started with lid, filter, and catback(SLP loudmouth 1). I was happy with that cat-back...its loud when i want it to be otherwise i just throw it up a gear to make it not so loud. I believe the SLP loudmouth 2 is not suppose to be as loud as the LM1. Another mod i would look into if i was in your shoes is gears. Best mod for the money that i have done.

I know there are cat-backs out there that are not as loud but i am just letting you know from my experience. Here is a vid of just the catback...and yes i know i should have music in the background but i do haha. Keep in mind that its in a garage and is a little louder but there is a big difference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU_b9WxfRZs

this vid is after some mid-length headers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMI_uZ0W6gk

hopefully all my babble helps you out a little haha
Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lid , K&N filter, Magnaflow catback great sound without headers and great performance. Lower control arms to get rid of wheel hop I have lakewood (cheap and got the job done). Port polish throttle body. Free mods: throttle body bypass, cut the air box for ram air affect.
You can do a search to see how the free mods are done. But I can assure you they make a difference. After these mods you will be more than happy with the performance and sound.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thanks for the input guys, so it sounds like i need SFC sooner than i thought and maybe just get new pads and not worry about rotors for now, anything else? with all that listed and the free mods what kind of horsepower do you think ill be looking at? i know it wont be much more and im doing other mods to instead of just going for raw power.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what i mentioned in the post above you could see anywhere from 23-27 horsepower at the wheels
Old 01-20-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thanks that sounds like a pretty solid gain to me and with the SFC and LCA and the brakes it seems like i would notice quite a bit of difference.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

O yea forsure you will and eventually get headers you will gain 20 more and be able to tell a huge difference
Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

I always start with exhaust and maybe a lid, then get some good tires and then move right into suspension. LCA's and brackets, torque arm, SFC's and an adjustable PB. The stock motor can PLENTY of power in it's stock form but the stock suspension sucks. You'll notice the car hooking like no tomorrow and plus you will be ready for any HP increases you get into in the future.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

I purchased my cross drilled/slotted rotors from a vendor on ebay and they've been fine going on 2 years now. i have noticed a tiny crack b/w two of the holes but they've been there for over a year and i haven't noticed it getting any bigger or any additional ones.

Your list of mods is pretty solid. You'll notice a big difference. And yes, most aftermarket cat backs will flow MUCH better than your stock SLP setup. Hope that helps
Old 01-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Launching!

I am probably going to get new exhaust next from the headers all the way back.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
And yes, most aftermarket cat backs will flow MUCH better than your stock SLP setup.

The SLP dual/dual setup is one of if not the best flowing exhausts out there.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd start with some 4.10's,60-90$ lid, a $30.00 cutout, and some Drag Radials(ET street radials, Nitto 555Rs) You'll be in the solid mid-upper 12's(12.6-12.8) with that setup for under a grand
The tires will help tremendously with traction and wheel hop

Nothing wakes up a M6 like a set of gears...

Second round of mods would be...
LT headers 300-700$
ORY and catback or Xpipe w/duals

and/or

LS6 intake 300-350$

And get some weight out of the car....

I have the Hawk HPS pads w/ stock rotors and they definately stop better than stock than stock.... drilled/slotted are strictly for looks, a blank rotor will outperform them all day long.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

forgot to add the ported TB for 75$ at either stage....
Old 01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good job on reading the sticky's, not go to other sections and read them too

Quick Reply: first round of mods help