Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing cat convertors

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing cat convertors

i have a 98 Z28, will it hurt if i removed my cats, i know it will throw a code but i could put some o2 sim on it, i don't have any emission tests where i live, i have stock manifolds and a stock y-pipe...could i weld a piece of pipe in place of the flat piece on the stock y-pipe? i know it would be louder but that doesn't bother me
Old 01-20-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can weld in some pipe in place of the cats. When I did this on my 93 T/A I had a few places not willing to work on my car....
Old 01-20-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

If you are going to remove your cats why not go ahead and put some nice headers and an off road y-pipe? Yes you can weld a piece of pipe in place of the stock y, but go ahead and do it right. My .02, but in answer to your question, YES you can do that, but to me the juice ain't worth the squeeze.......
Old 01-20-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the epa got pissed off at the folks selling sims. don't know that you will find any new.
used cats are bringing good money, thought i saw someone here buying was them $70 a pair or apiece ? don't remember.
i kept my catted Y it will go with the car if i sell along with a avidavit stating it is not leagal for hiway use. but thats just me i'm a paranoid old crotchity f*cker. but hey i have my tin foil hat on in case those black helicoptors start circling the house again.
off road y-pipes are made for stock manifolds, that and a mail order tune would be where i would be looking if i were you.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
You can weld in some pipe in place of the cats. When I did this on my 93 T/A I had a few places not willing to work on my car....
Most performance shops will be fine with it, especially if they build drag cars etc. I had one go in and delete the codes all together for me when something made the fake O2s crap out. I say go for it, though longtubes and an ORY would be my suggested route.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

how many cats are on the car? 1 or 2? where can i get a y-pipe with no cats to bolt up to my stock manifolds?

Last edited by SYon22s; 01-20-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sully00ws6
Most performance shops will be fine with it, especially if they build drag cars etc. I had one go in and delete the codes all together for me when something made the fake O2s crap out. I say go for it, though longtubes and an ORY would be my suggested route.
I had a tire place not willing to work on my car. I had to bring the tires w/o the car.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

look best thing to do if u dont want to spend the money is, tak out the driver cat, gut it with a peice of metel, save all the material(you can sell it), and for the passeger side cut a square on the top of the cat, and then empty it all out! most muffler shops dont like to work with the stainless steal so cutting the cat off and welding it back may not be straight and you will have problems aligning it back together! so after you cut the cat from the top and hallow it, just get that welded back together! take it to a welding shop! it will be alot cheaper! then to delete my rear o2 sensors i used 2 engine oil drain plugs from a 1989 toyota cressida! and that is the perfect plug to seal up the o2 sensor holes on the y pipe!! then of course get some new gaskets!!! but be aware when u remove the bolts from the exahust manifold they will sometimes break!! i broke 2 studs on mine! so goodluck
Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sreve
but hey i have my tin foil hat on in case those black helicoptors start circling the house again.

Worse case you could buy headers and an ORY and put them on yourself. It isn't that hard and will save you the money on the labor.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SYon22s
how many cats are on the car? 1 or 2? where can i get a y-pipe with no cats to bolt up to my stock manifolds?
ws6store.com
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

this would work, says its for 98-99 and bolts up to stock manifolds, found it at WS6store
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Launching!

I bought the off road pipes for mine and put the cats back on in less than 2 weeks. The car stunk real bad with the cats off and it made like a 5 or less hp difference and less than a half a tenth in the quarter when I run it in similar conditions (actually better conditions with the cats off).