Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP long tube headers????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP long tube headers????

SLP is CRAP for most things.. THey are way over priced and little gain.

i had one person post this on another thread i started, is this pretty accurate? my car has SLP coated long tube headers and i was pretty proud of them, didnt have any kind of headers on my last car. they look like they were installed very well, so i was pretty happy to show them off to my buds, what kind of gain am i seeing with these on the car? thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have a set..they aren't as bad as people make them out to be however they do hang alot lower then other headers which is an annoying problem. I felt a decent power gain from them and honestly my car is just as fast as everyone else i know that has the same mods so i wouldn't call them crap. By the way they came out with some new ones that have better ground clearance and are supposed to make a lil more topend power then the previous ones.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had SLPs i put them in last year it was a bitch, i actually just took them out today and had a pretty tough time gettin one of em out. Took me about a full day just to get the ****** in there. i think they suck, plus they hang low way overpriced. The power gain is good just like any other Long tube. I just bought pacesetters they go in like a breeze, ive installed some hooker headers on my bros TA and that was easy too, save yourself money and buy something else because SLP sucks.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've herd several thing bad about them also how they fit the coating on them flakes off ect.... But you have them on allready and so leave them, If I had them I would be like yeah they may not be the best but they are still long tubes so their 100x better than the stock manifolds.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

yeah if you have them just leave them on. the are pretty much the same as hooker or pacesetter or any other cheap brand. the only next step is like kooks. or qtp or tts or amercan racing headers. so just leave them
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

the fit and finish of an SLP product is second to none but they LTs are low, the coating flakes (as do all coatings), and they're a bitch to install. They do however have a new version for the fbody that looks awesome.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
the fit and finish of an SLP product is second to none but they LTs are low, the coating flakes (as do all coatings), and they're a bitch to install. They do however have a new version for the fbody that looks awesome.
I dont know what you are talking about Stainless is alot better looking to me it may change colors to a nice bronze but too me it looks nice because its stainless.
As far as fit them things are a nightmare compared to KOOKS or QTP or most all stainless brands. on a lift I can pull my headers in and out no problem ( QTP). Slp you have to cut crap bend stuff and use a large hammer to get them in haha.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

well by the sound of it, im glad they were already in the car when i got them, LOL.....
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

the problem with keeping them on is if you have a good exhaust it scrapes all the time, my xpipe hits quite a bit with the horrible slp's, im glad i took them out. if you have a nice exhaust and want it to be tucked under the car like it suppose to be then take em off.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

yea i have slp LTs, if it werent for how low they hang, and the price youd probaly see more of them around! they dont bother me b/c i dont plan on lowering my car, plus i didnt have to install em so i had no complaints! they are comparible with other LTs power-wise as well!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SLP LT's and they hang way too low.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have SLP's and love the sound with my corsa cb they took a while to get in, but that was because i couldn't get the car high enough & then only one side was a pain to get in, plus they only scrape if you like taking speed humps too fast!
I will eventually swap them because i want to lower the car, but i'll probably still buy the new SLP lt's.
I guess everybody has their own preferences & if SLP products were really that crap, they'd have gone under long ago!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
I dont know what you are talking about Stainless is alot better looking to me it may change colors to a nice bronze but too me it looks nice because its stainless.
As far as fit them things are a nightmare compared to KOOKS or QTP or most all stainless brands. on a lift I can pull my headers in and out no problem ( QTP). Slp you have to cut crap bend stuff and use a large hammer to get them in haha.
SLPs are stainless but coated as well. The design of the SLP header is what makes the install a nightmare, I was referring to the quality of how the product is built etc. Compare their new LTs to your QTP's almost no difference (NOT their tune lengthe header). I went with QTPs too lol.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

I would recommend pacesetters LT
Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
SLPs are stainless but coated as well. The design of the SLP header is what makes the install a nightmare, I was referring to the quality of how the product is built etc. Compare their new LTs to your QTP's almost no difference (NOT their tune lengthe header). I went with QTPs too lol.
http://www.lmpracing.com/21300/1.html

Yep your right I thought that they were just coated maby they had some early ones that were I'm not shure I just assumed why would you coat stainless was my thought.
But on that note them things are way over priced haha I was looking at them about 3 years ago so sorry about the miss information. they still a pain and over priced haha.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

im not really a fan of headers that rust and look disgusting after 5k miles. i splurged and got kooks and i dont regret it ever.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thLE02
im not really a fan of headers that rust and look disgusting after 5k miles. i splurged and got kooks and i dont regret it ever.
thats funny mine have been on for many years and they haven't rusted neither has anyone elses slp headers that i know of . To the original poster if you already have them on then leave them. Also they were a lil tough to install but honestly it isn't as bad as people on here are making it out to be. I helped to install mine and all we had to do that was different from other headers was remove the oil filter and guess what they went right in. Eventually though i will probably change them out just because the passenger side one hangs so low
Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Since their already on your car leave them...100 times better than manifold chokers. But I wouldn't recommend them to anyone ever for installing them. I'll be putting American Racing LTs on my car this weekend, from what i've heard it should be a 3-4 hour job on my lift.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a lift its a pritty easy job if not its HELL to do any long tube headers. IF you dont have a lift try to find a shop if its around 250 or so I'd have them install it.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read a lot about different headers. Been told Kooks is the best. I know they are on the GTO's but hey...I don't have one. I got an 02' SS with the slp lid, and loud mouth cat back. I'm actually getting ready to get the new SLP LT's with their cats and y. I've heard this combination in person and omg...music...sweet music. Granted, I'll be paying out my *** but hey...I think it's worth it. And yeah...you guys are right, everyone has their own preference.

Quick Reply: SLP long tube headers????