New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOLY SH!T I have a Freak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HOLY **** I have a Freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that we should just congratulate CamaroSS for having an Camaro that is able to do these kind of things and then we can all part our separate ways. Now play nice children!!
Old 07-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone take note that "KidFreak" lives in Tampa, FL. Stay off the sidewalks or you might get hit!

Hey Nighthawk- Ya, I know I know...2.4 60' is pathetic. It was only my 5th run ever in the car. Still learning it. Decent mph though for what it is.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a correction, some ls1's did come with 2.73's
My bad. Sorry!
Old 07-28-2003, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

, and no, torque is the twisting power of the engine, and horsepower is the speed and force at which it spins. I got that from a 30year experience Drag racer.
Actually, I have to comment on this again. Torque is the twisting power of the engine, measured in Ft-lbs. This is a certain force at 1 Ft perpendicular from the axis of rotation. You yourself said that horsepower is the speed and FORCE at which an engine turns. If you look back at that equation, you'll see my point. BTW, I got my info from a physics professor of 30 years. If you want to discuss this aspect further, lets just take it to PM and stop cluttering the boards.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Nighthawk- Ya, I know I know...2.4 60' is pathetic. It was only my 5th run ever in the car. Still learning it. Decent mph though for what it is.

--Yeah, you'll be on the verge of 11's in no time

Everyone take note that "KidFreak" lives in Tampa, FL. Stay off the sidewalks or you might get hit!

--Yeah, I'd better be careful when I'm up there or I might get thrown into a curb by the tire spinning wonder

You'd better get the chip off your shoulder, bro, or you'll be "KidFreak" forever

On the upside, that would make a good vanity plate for you:
KDFREEK !!!

Old 07-28-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

LMAO
Old 07-28-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I could not drive it, so all I did was start the car every day, let it reach 210 and shut it down.

LOL

If you really knew anything about cars, you'd know that is just about the worst thing you could do to your engine short of reving it cold

As for being a freak, you should checkout the BadRap boys in your area...

I'm sure they have a number of Non-Freak cars that would hand you your ***

Rick
Old 07-28-2003, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Uhhh, where did you hear that it is bad? Yes, reving the engine cold is bad, but allowing the engine to reach optimum temp. is good when done to keep the battery alive. I alows the cylinders to see some good spark, it is much better then startng it, and the stoping it. And the joke about the side walk thing is funny, realy. It was either hit an oncoming car, or try to save the car. I obviously tried to save the car and jerked to the right. I did this a little too much, and cliped the curb, nothing serious. Also, call me "KidFreak" I don't care. If you think I realy care then call me that, see if I care. To tell you the truth, I kinda like it. It is the first nickname for me and the car. I like how the Physics professor has 30 years to his belt too, also, read what I wrote again. You repeated what I said. Haha, funny, all I left out was the measured in lb/f, and how it is found.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK.... here's the technical version. Torque is a measure of twisting force. Horsepower is a measure of work done over a given distance in a given amount of time. 1 SAE hp is equivalent to 550 lb-ft/sec. All horsepower is is torque per unit of time. My point is that the two are so closely related, it doesn't really matter if you say the extremely high hp of your factory freak is spinning the wheels, or the diesel-like torque of your monster SS is spinning the wheels. It is simply six of one/half a dozen of the other.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can't call your car a freak based on SOTP feel. Strap it to a dyno.
agreed, if you dyno the same or more as me, then your claim will be well backed
Old 07-29-2003, 04:10 AM
Teching In

spinning was cool back in the day, but the freaks are the LS1s who have an edge on power and DONT spin.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhhh, where did you hear that it is bad? Yes, reving the engine cold is bad, but allowing the engine to reach optimum temp. is good when done to keep the battery alive.
Starting an engine and just letting it idle will take forever to get up to operating temperature...

And just because your water temp gauge hit 210, does NOT mean the engine's oil is up to temp...

The CORRECT way to warm up your engine is to start it, let it idle for no more than 30 seconds just to get the oil to circulate, then drive it under very light load (no more than 1/4 throttle) while varying engine speed (not a steady rate) until the oil gets up to operating temperature (not just the coolant)...

Engines require load to get up to temperature quickly...

By idling during initial startup, the engine stays in open loop mode longer, dumping raw fuel into your cylinders as an attempt to heat the cats and diluting your engine oil

If you don't believe me, just do a search on "excessive idling" and see what you get...

Here's the first link I came up with:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/idling/issues...mp;PrintView=N

As for your battery, if it's having such problems staying alive that you have to charge it everyday, you might wanna seek a new battery or hook up a trickle charger, cause all you're really doing is damaging your engine

Rick <----recertified ASE Master Tech

Old 07-29-2003, 12:30 PM
7 Second Club

Uhhh, where did you hear that it is bad? Yes, reving the engine cold is bad, but allowing the engine to reach optimum temp. is good when done to keep the battery alive.
Starting an engine and just letting it idle will take forever to get up to operating temperature...

And just because your water temp gauge hit 210, does NOT mean the engine's oil is up to temp...

The CORRECT way to warm up your engine is to start it, let it idle for no more than 30 seconds just to get the oil to circulate, then drive it under very light load (no more than 1/4 throttle) while varying engine speed (not a steady rate) until the oil gets up to operating temperature (not just the coolant)...

Engines require load to get up to temperature quickly...

By idling during initial startup, the engine stays in open loop mode longer, dumping raw fuel into your cylinders as an attempt to heat the cats and diluting your engine oil

If you don't believe me, just do a search on "excessive idling" and see what you get...

Here's the first link I came up with:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/idling/issues...mp;PrintView=N

As for your battery, if it's having such problems staying alive that you have to charge it everyday, you might wanna seek a new battery or hook up a trickle charger, cause all you're really doing is damaging your engine

Rick <----recertified ASE Master Tech

You are exactly right.Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, well, I've skimmed through the last few pages, because I've seen enough with the first 2.

CamaroSS... I live in S.Tampa too, and my car is a daily driver, so you should be able to spot me pretty easily. Flag me down if you ever see me, I'm always at the Hess on Dale Mabry (south of Gandy) getting my $12 worth of gas. Look for me... it's a 2002 silver WS6 with blacked out windows. (But I always have my windows down unless it's raining.)

Now as far as freaks, your car doesn't really sound like one, to me. I had a 2000 SS A4, and it would do the same thing, only with the ASR off. It dyno'd at 318/330 and ran a best of 13.5@107 at BMP. That was bone stock, including the paper filter from the factory, with 3000 miles on it.

My 02 WS6 dyno'd at 335/353 with just a lid and muffler; and runs consistant 12.6's@110-112. All of this was during the lovely summertime heat and humidity.

You're car really isn't that much of a freak... welcome to the LS1 powered world.

BTW... I'm one of the BADRAP boys that Snake Eater was refering to... as is Country Boy, Vince, CopMagnet, and a few others on this board.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Hope to see you around, you know as well as me that the SS and WS6 are a rare sight on the roads of Tampa. I think I saw you the other day driving down manhattan heading north by Castilano &amp; Pizzo. I guess it is not a freak. I wish it was but hay, SOL. I apologize for this, not my fault, my friend said it was a posibility when I took him out for a spin in it, and when it started acting like this, I got a little too excited. Call me a dumb kid, I don't care, just get it out of your system. I am just a stupid little gearhead with a car faster then he should probably have. But do not call me dumb, my experiences with these cars have been nothing like this. I have driven 3, which is more then some of you, so I do know how the car should feel.(I know some have owned like 2-3 or more LS1s) It apears to me that I drove a slow Z and Trans Am. They were both factory stock, so maybe the exhaust might explain it?
Old 07-29-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, when my car was stock i could spin the F1s almost nearly into 3rd. had it dynoed and def was no freak witha measley 297/312. But it ran 13.6's all day on street tires. but on the street it felt faster than anything. and i have 2 WS6's. my 99 and a stock 00. A factory freak is something like 2 of my friends. 1 A4 that runs 13.2's on street tires (and remember i ran 13.6) and my other friend with a 02' M6 that pulled 350rwhp with just headers and cat back. Ran 12.4 at 111 with just that on street tires.

having a freak is cool but what diff does it really make? none. like they always say, there is someone bigger and faster than you out there.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't call your car a freak based on SOTP feel. Strap it to a dyno.
agreed, if you dyno the same or more as me, then your claim will be well backed
KidFreak-

Take note of Venkman's numbers. He has a REAL factory freak.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

I think I have seen you around here, hit Tampa Rd much? I'm out by Oldsmar (Hillsborough Ave and RaceTrack Rd). Can't miss me, red T/A with black hood.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Never have even driven on it. I live in south Tampa, and don't get around there much. There is someone in Tampa with the exact same car, but drives worse than me, lotsa' dents! Hope to see you all around!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Thanks Richie, Uh hello, when I was sixteen all I could afford was a slow piece of crap chev celebrity that taught me many things...1)Respect 2)How to do basic maintenance 3)and a desire to keep my **** together to get a good job and then afford to buy a nicer car. Please! This kid has already cracked up this poor Fbody. Can you imagine how much insurance costs to put a sixteen year old in a 300+hp car? The rates are high for a reason...I know you know everything right now, I did when I was your age too. I am sorry, in six years when my kid is sixteen he can buy his own car/ insurance like my old man made me. Good luck young man, don't drink and drive-seriously! You probably have one of the coolest cars at your highschool and people will be trying to get you to do stupid things in that car.

Quick Reply: HOLY SH!T I have a Freak!!!