New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd grinding noise on M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008 | 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Default wierd grinding noise on M6

ok so today i noticed while backing out of my driveway that i get a really wierd grinding noise when im moving at a very slow speed in either first or reverse, it goes away when i use gas and it makes no noise if i drift down or up a hill in gear or in neutral but when i play with the clutch to give a little push (i dont know whats that called) i get the nastiest grinding noise - it almost drove me insane at the drivethru today - what is it? its coming from way back in my car - is it my tranny? rear end? what is up with this!? thanks!

(btw i dont get this noise at any other speed than below practically 5 mph)
Old 04-24-2008 | 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

check brake system first. if all is good there then check rear end gears... place drip pan under rear housing cover, remove cover and inspect, thats the only way to tell.... just make sure u have fluid and gasket just incase all is well and/or u want to put it back together.
Old 04-25-2008 | 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
check brake system first. if all is good there then check rear end gears... place drip pan under rear housing cover, remove cover and inspect, thats the only way to tell.... just make sure u have fluid and gasket just incase all is well and/or u want to put it back together.
HUH?

It's your throwout bearing!
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98catfish
HUH?

It's your throwout bearing!
Sounds like it to me too.....
Old 04-28-2008 | 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i know this may just be a toss up, but one of my friends has a problem with his m6 that sounds about the exact same as yours, but his is an exhaust hanger that it broken and rattles against a piece of metal that is backed by some rubber... dunno where it is, but it only makes the noise at lower rpms if he drives the car easy... and it doesnt make the normal metal on metal sound... its sort of a buzzing and rattling at the same time... so you may check that first, but yeah id say its the throwout bearing too... it went out in one of my friends's t/a's and made the most awful noise