New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change gauge face...???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How to change gauge face...???!!!

Hello again.

i was thinking about getting the white gauge face and i was wondering how hard it would be to change. if anyone could provide directions or a link to directions it would be great.

thank you in advance
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

im remember when i tried helping a friend change his gauge face. we couldnt get his tach to work when we removed the needle. the damn thing wouldnt pop back in and when it did it read at 2500 rpm and stayed there, we tried several times popping it in and out with no luck but hell that was on a gay civic. not trying to scare you or anything just letting you know the needles could be a pain in the ***.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i put aftermarket ones in mine... well its an overlay... but yeah the needles is sort of a pain to get to work completely correctly... but how you do it is... or at least if you have a t/a... camaros may be a little different, but its still not a tough task, just makes ya nervous to mess with that stuff
but here are the steps...
1.) pull the bezel cover deal off (like the outermost part of the dash) - its just in there by little push fitting deals
2.) remove the bolts holding the plastic that protects the gauges and put that aside
3.) remove the needles... lol my directions even told me to use a kitchen fork or knife... and just give them a small pull so they come off... but first, take a picture of where your gauges are when you turn your key off, and never turn your key back on till you are totally done
4.) place the new overlay on... and many people have ran a tiny bead of loctite or some kind of glue to the back to make sure it sticks and doesn't interfere with the needles....
4.) put needles back on in the exact same place that they were... and also, take a picture of your gauges after you have ran it and gotten it warm because if the needles don't go on completely correctly you will have to pull the needle off, and you will need something to go by again to get it at least close...
thats all there is to actually putting it on, but if you get one of the reverse glow ones (i have one and its pretty sweet), you have to splice into the headlight switch to get your power for the lights to come on when you have your lights on... its not hard and takes a whole 5 min.
then, all ya have to do is put it all back together and enjoy
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Get the overlys that do not require needle removal. I bought Macewen silver overlays and it was very easy and looks good, but the customer service and shipping is horrible. Whitegauges.net would be another option.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i would recommend if you can find some, get the ones that don't require needle removal... i tried gluing my overlay to the old face because it popped out in some places and caused the needles to mess up... and now they work fine in the summer, but when its cold in the winter (like 32 or below basically) the needles don't move well until the interior warms up... kinda strange and i dont have any ideas why its like that, but it doesnt bother me too much because its not like im gonna run the ***** off my car when the motor isnt even partially warm