New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner enthusiast cam swap package!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The specs on that Edelbrock cam sounds exactly like the LPE GT2-3 cam that I have been using for years in mild LSx applications. Many of them goes into GM trucks and SUVs.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

i think the deal sounds pretty good. the whole reason i havent done a cam swap is because i dont want to go through the pain in the *** of tuning it. i am still tuning my race car!! i wonder what a full bolt on LS1 would do with the cam? the 2001 ls6 is rated at 385 hp....
Old 05-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Teching In

While it may work without a tune on a ls6, I would have to think that it's so different from what a stock fbody ls1 got that it's bound to cause some problems. The ls6 z06 cam was already more aggressive than the ls1 cam that the fbodys got, plus the increased flowing heads... I have a hard time believing an ls1 with this cam and no tune wouldn't run like crap. We need some real life reports here.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by trexbob
While it may work without a tune on a ls6, I would have to think that it's so different from what a stock fbody ls1 got that it's bound to cause some problems. The ls6 z06 cam was already more aggressive than the ls1 cam that the fbodys got, plus the increased flowing heads... I have a hard time believing an ls1 with this cam and no tune wouldn't run like crap. We need some real life reports here.
I have installed the LPE GT11 cam (which looks to have identical numbers as the Edelbrock cam) into a dozen various GM trucks, from the 5.3 to 6L engines and you can just start the engine and drive away with it with more Hp, it of course would run better and make more power with a tune, but you can just drive it away and runs just fine.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

much respect to the OP. Way to keep your cool bro.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

99blancoSS is a greta guy and is helping me out a lot right now with my current project. he definately stands by his products, and i would certainly recommend him to anyone! and i certainly wish that my project would be as easy as this cam swap...lol
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it's a good deal for someone that doesn't have the money for all of the supporting mods/tune. Honestly though if it were me, I'd keep saving and go with a better combo.

I'd rather spend my money the right way once then by something that I will only be happy with for a short while and have to upgrade later.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ You saw the point then missed it...LOL

I sell a Comp custom cam package with valve springs and pushrods for 600 delivered.
IF you go with that package it will cost you more money for an intake, long tubes headers, clutch or trans and then the rear-end eventually.

With this package you avoid all that. Thats the whole point of it. If you want to do more modding then you wont be looking at this package.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

So this setup will take a stock ls6 from 400 to 430, that means it will most likly take a stock 350 hp ls1 to about 365.

Huge power no, but enough to notice. With the rest of the bolton's that may put a stock ls1 to 380ish. Hell there's lots of cammed cars with tunes and whatnot making that kind of power with alot bigger cam then this

Not personally for me, but I can see a place for this. Be a good sleeper setup if you wanted to tell someone you had stock internal car... if it will work on a stock tune, then it's probably a very easy idling setup, might be able to catch a couple people off guard with it
Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this cam (and the heads) advertised on some website somewhere and I thought it sounded like a neat idea. I would be curious to see a before and after on a stock or basic bolt ons LS1, since that and not the LS6/LS2 is clearly that target market for this cam.

To the OP: way to keep your cool, as was said, I probably would have blown a gasket. You should offer someone local a super deal on installing this cam so you can have a guinea pig and get some numbers, if it can pick up 20-30 rwhp with no mods or basic bolt ons un-tuned I bet you will have a lot of takers.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula413
I saw this cam (and the heads) advertised on some website somewhere and I thought it sounded like a neat idea. I would be curious to see a before and after on a stock or basic bolt ons LS1, since that and not the LS6/LS2 is clearly that target market for this cam.

To the OP: way to keep your cool, as was said, I probably would have blown a gasket. You should offer someone local a super deal on installing this cam so you can have a guinea pig and get some numbers, if it can pick up 20-30 rwhp with no mods or basic bolt ons un-tuned I bet you will have a lot of takers.
I agree if you can pick up a quick 25-30rwhp and it idles like stock this would be awesome for a sleeper car with a little punch
Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

im not to familair with this cam, does it idle like stock? well wht i really would like to know is there any lope with this cam or is a total sleeper cam?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

As I understand it lope is mainly a result of a low LSA so this cam with a relatively high 118 LSA would probably sound just like stock with little if any lope.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think stock lsa is around 116-119 or something so this sounds like it should be almost stock sounding. I would actually consider this since Id like to keep the stock sound and the 20+rwhp is cool but me personally if im going to do a cam il do something bigger and shoot for over 400rwhp cam only I mean once everything is apart why do it twice IMO
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
So this setup will take a stock ls6 from 400 to 430, that means it will most likly take a stock 350 hp ls1 to about 365.
Maybe a little better, a 2001 LS6 had 385 crank hp, so this is a 45 crank hp gain on an LS6, assume maybe about 30-35 on an LS1, that should be good for 20-30rwhp...
Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it makes more then my guess great, I aimed low LOL.

You know, I actually know someone that might be intrested in doing something like this, his car is pretty much stock with a 100 shot on it, this wouldn't make it a world beater, but would be enough so that this, along with the 125 or 150 jets (yes he would tune it at that point, mainly for the nitrous) would probably put him close to the 500 rw mark with a car that would still idle and sound stock. He does tend to run a street race or 2 on a semi regular basis, and being that the car is relativly stock with just a small kit on it it's in the speed range that he can get alot of races without much of a problem.

He stuffs this cam setup in that car, with a tune and his 125 jets that car would probably smack a good # of people around. I'm gonna tell him about this
Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If it makes more then my guess great, I aimed low LOL.

You know, I actually know someone that might be intrested in doing something like this, his car is pretty much stock with a 100 shot on it, this wouldn't make it a world beater, but would be enough so that this, along with the 125 or 150 jets (yes he would tune it at that point, mainly for the nitrous) would probably put him close to the 500 rw mark with a car that would still idle and sound stock. He does tend to run a street race or 2 on a semi regular basis, and being that the car is relativly stock with just a small kit on it it's in the speed range that he can get alot of races without much of a problem.

He stuffs this cam setup in that car, with a tune and his 125 jets that car would probably smack a good # of people around. I'm gonna tell him about this
haha...that'd be a petty fun little ride...I'd consider this package, but I kinda want so lope with my cam, so I am just gonna keep saving...
Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

The market is buyer beware, if you don't do the proper research on the upgrades you want it is your own fault. there are plenty of people who are willing to provide helpful information. My point is not to jump into anything. if you do you might assume you will pick up power that you wont. but patience and research pay off in big dividends. Don't knock him for offering a product that isn't what you are interested due to the fact that it doesnt impress you. It may be perfect for someone else that is budget oriented or looking for marginal gains.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Default noooooo

Originally Posted by Formula413
As I understand it lope is mainly a result of a low LSA so this cam with a relatively high 118 LSA would probably sound just like stock with little if any lope.
wrong overlap determines the idle and how the cam is to tune...im coming up with -22.5*which should idle smooth in any engine head combo....

Ive used several edelbrock cams over the last decade and was pleased with them all...
Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
wrong overlap determines the idle and how the cam is to tune...im coming up with -22.5*which should idle smooth in any engine head combo....
Well overlap is partly a function of LSA so I'm not completely wrong.

Quick Reply: Beginner enthusiast cam swap package!