New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner enthusiast cam swap package!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beginner enthusiast cam swap package!

EDELBROCK LSX 430 HP cam - no tune required

Designed for a "no tuning required" camshaft upgrade in 1997 and later LS1/LS6/LS2 based GM engines, the Edelbrock RPM 430HP camshaft delivers 433 HP and 421 Ft/Lbs. of Torque without touching your factory tune. This combination of high lift, low duration and wide lobe separation delivers the performance you want while maintaining great low speed idle and drivability in automatic or manual .
573" I / .580" E 207° I / 220° 118° [Performance (as tested on 5.7L 2001 LS6 engine): 433.6 HP @ 6000 RPM / 421.9 Ft/Lbs of Torque @
transmission cars
TO go with it: PAC 1218 beehive springs

PAC is the original manufacturer for the Comp 918s until CC decided to go to another manufacturer (and we have seen problems since). These are beehive springs and drop right into the LS1 heads.

The 1218s (CC918 equiv) for $145 with the package. This spring is good to .600 lift

I also offer a cam swap tool rental, if you purchase the cam and spring package, you can use them for free! You pay shipping and deposit.

Honestly this is a great beginner package deal for someone. If you haven’t done a cam install before and want to get your hands dirty this is the way to go.

I provide the cam install tools and am available for what ever help you might need. pm's telephone I'll walk you through it.

You can use your stock retainers and there is no real reason not to with this cam. The PAC springs are a drop in and the tool I provide is the best there is for doing the job. Crane dual spring tool.

Its not a cam your spinning past stock rpms so the oil pump concerns are pretty much alleviated. Some models were prone to failure and its never a bad idea to replace a high mileage pump from those year cars.. IIRC 98-99? Open to discuss

IMO this is about as simple a do it yourselfer for the beginner as there can be. Perfect for beginner enthusiasts who want to get their hands dirty and learn with minimal risk and expense.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Souldn't this be in a sponsors for sale section?

No tune? And the 430 hp is flywheel, not rwhp. Not going to see a lot of gain with that cam.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

Actualy this is the perfect section for it. There is merit to discusion of this. Not everyone wants to break the bank so to speak with their first cam swap. Its a great way to learn for the beginner. By not going to big with the cam your saving the trans or clutch and most likely the rear-end as well. This is perfect for someone who wants more power without having to dump hundreds or even thousands of dollars into their car just for a cam.

It works with stock heads but Edelbrock sells some heads to go with it for more bolt on power without tuning. This is true bolt on hassle free power. You dont need to get an expensive dyno tune or mail in tune and go back and forth until they get it right. Just slap it in and go. Perfect weekend project that doesnt linger on and cost more and more money.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 430 hp mark was from the ls6, most people will install that in their ls1 and think they will get over 400 hp... they will be sorely dissapointed
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

Again you’re missing the whole point of the cam and subsequent heads. NO TUNING REQUIRED

No everyone has the money or even a resource close to them for a bigger cam requiring tuning. If you cant appreciate those peoples circumstances there is nothing I can say to you. I cant stress enough the ease of which this cam package is setup for.
NO tuning, tools and instructions provided. Again perfect for beginner techies. Not everyone wants to get in over their head with their first venture into modifying their car

Disappointed is when you cant afford a tune or intake or exhaust spend a bunch of money and dont get the same results you see posted from the same cam from someone else.. who had the money for all the supporting mods to make those numbers and someone to tune it for him....

Been there done that, this is perfect for what it intended for... Beginner enthusiasts who want to learn and dont have a big budget, dont want to have to swap the clutch or worry about the trans burning up or the rear puking out. There is more to it than just the cam. Putting big power to the ground is not just a cam swap.

Making big power is done in steps unless you've got big $$$ to drop down at once.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-11-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

So what horsepower numbers could be expected from a 2001 LS1 engine.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

You do realize this is not rwhp!! This power was made to the flywheel..
Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw it and laughed awhile ago

they slip in its a LS6 motor not a LS1 and its not RHWP either
Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

Edelbrock did their testing and this is what they found. I can very well offer another cam and then tuning is required which is added costs. Then you’ll be needing a clutch or trans re-build and rear end.
The hecklers seem to be keep leaving this part out. NO TUNE. Yes it’s a minimal gain cam and that’s why it’s perfect for someone who doesn’t need to brag about the size of their cam and wants to get their feet wet with a simple cam swap. The hecklers also don’t realize that most advertised numbers are flywheel hp.

really guys this is for "beginner" techies or someone who wants a little more zip without all the hassles. Not sure why some people cant understand that or respect those choices but I'll keep explaining it if I have to. But really if you don’t have an interest and your only interest is to heckle you should maybe just not post and save us all the hassle. The numbers are plain to see and they don’t or I try to hide any information from anyone. Plain to see for everyone in the TOP paragraph are their testing results. Nothing is thrown in later to be semi hidden or maybe not seen.

As far as an LS1 vs LS6… better heads make better power… what was the advertised numbers? 5 more hp for and ls1 to an ls6? But thats why Edelbrock made a head to go with this cam. Again no tune required with the head swap. True bolt-on HP. $510 plus shipping

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-11-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

It took an LS6 from 405hp to 430hp. That is a gain of 25hp from a cam swap and swapping springs, into 10.5scr heads.
They would have a much better sales pitch advertising power on an LS1. People on a tight budget, who this is marketed for-probably don't have a c5zo6, CTS-V, or spare pair of $900 LS6 heads laying around. And if they did they would have to swap injectors and tune to run the LS6 heads properly. Sounds like edelbrock needs a new marketing department
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
It took an LS6 from 405hp to 430hp. That is a gain of 25hp from a cam swap and swapping springs, into 10.5scr heads.
They would have a much better sales pitch advertising power on an LS1. People on a tight budget, who this is marketed for-probably don't have a c5zo6, CTS-V, or spare pair of $900 LS6 heads laying around. And if they did they would have to swap injectors and tune to run the LS6 heads properly. Sounds like edelbrock needs a new marketing department
Haha they dont need a new marketing department, the 430 hp claim will sell plenty of these cam kits to unknowing ls1 owners and like suckers they will think they are making 430 hp and can take a c5 z06, ls2 vette, etc...
Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

Ya thats it, they set out to dupe the public. They set out to make a drop in cam for people who dont want to drop big bucks or deal with issues. They accomplished that goal. You can't appreciate it thats your issue really. I sell a 248/260 113 + 3 for the same price but try driving it without a tune or more expensive springs. Someone wants a regular cam package I can surely do that but thats not what this thread is about. You guys seem to be narrow minded about things and think that unless someone puts a cam in to meet your standards then they're wasting time and money. They dont get a choice, you decide it for them. thats nice. No one else offers this option that I know of. Tools to do the job, all the help you need and only $510 complete. NO TUNING your driving it as soon as you fire it up and your done with it.

There are plenty of people who are looking for just this package. Don't need to get headers and deal with all the issues of the banging Y. Its called the butterfly effect. Some people dont want to deal with that. You guys seem to leave out all those things that are associated with bigger cams and more power. Its added expense in more than one area. Again Edelbrock came up with a solution for it and I have packaged it with my tool swap package and PAC valve springs for a great beginner package.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-11-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Ya thats it, they set out to dupe the public. They set out to make a drop in cam for people who dont want to drop big bucks or deal with issues. They accomplished that goal. You can't appreciate it thats your issue really. I sell a 248/260 113 + 3 for the same price but try driving it without a tune. Someone wants a regular cam package I can surely do that but thats not what this thread is about. You guys seem to be narrow minded about things and think that unless someone puts a cam in to meet your standards then they're wasting time and money. They dont get a choice, you decide it for them. thats nice. No one else offers this option that I know of. Tools to do the job, all the help you need and only $510 complete. NO TUNING your driving it as soon as you fire it up and your done with it.
I hear you man and I dont think anyone is knocking the actual product itself, its the HP claims that are turning people off. I mean they could advertise 530 HP with the swap and not tell people it was swapped into a 500hp LS7 engine. It sounds like a real nice package but again its like the a lot of advertised numbers that you see with products nowadays that give people unrealistic goals for the product.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I hear you man and I dont think anyone is knocking the actual product itself, its the HP claims that are turning people off. I mean they could advertise 530 HP with the swap and not tell people it was swapped into a 500hp LS7 engine. It sounds like a real nice package but again its like the a lot of advertised numbers that you see with products nowadays that give people unrealistic goals for the product.
Well thats where the salesperson comes in. Who ever approaches me to purchase this will be told all there is to know about it. You cant just buy it from me without talking to me first so I advise people of the reality of things before they drop their hard earned coin no matter what I sell. I can appreciate what your saying. Thats why I am in business in the first place now. Was disappointed as a customer, knew I could do better and here I am.

I'd like to see some real world numbers with it for sure, but I dont have a stock ls1 to try it out on. I will say this. If someone goes with the package and then wants to swap to a bigger cam later I will work with them on it. Tool rental will be for free and the price of the cam will be adjusted. I take care of my customers as best I can.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well thats where the salesperson comes in. Who ever approaches me to purchase this will be told all there is to know about it. You cant just buy it from me without talking to me first so I advise people of the reality of things before they drop their hard earned coin no matter what I sell. I can appreciate what your saying. Thats why I am in business in the first place now. Was disappointed as a customer, knew I could do better and here I am.

I'd like to see some real world numbers with it for sure, but I dont have a stock ls1 to try it out on. I will say this. If someone goes with the package and then wants to swap to a bigger cam later I will work with them on it. Tool rental will be for free and the price of the cam will be adjusted. I take care of my customers as best I can.
Wow thats definately stand up of you and I can totally respect that. Always good to hear a sponsor that will work with their customers and help them out with whatever their goals are. Again no disrespect to you or the product and I agree it sounds like a great product for a DIYer thats looking to gain knowledge/experience on a cam swap. Cool too that the tools are rented for free for the swap as well because anyone who has installed a cam themselves know its a PAIN without the proper tools (which arent cheap to buy either haha). Good luck to both you and your business!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Launching!

99blancoSS , I am amazed by your patience! Way to keep your cool, I would have lost it by now haha. Rest assured there are members out there that understand and value what you are selling with this package.

I think what turns some people off is that if you are going to go through the pain a cam swap, why put in a baby cam? I think the answer for those of you thinking this is MONEY. We all dream big, and all want to dump in a monster cam but honestly most don't have the funds to do it right and the end result is a car that is barely streetable and not much fun to drive. (surging, bucking, stalling)

What we have here is a cam that you can put in for some reasonable $$$, and make better power then your dog of a ride is making now without headaches and problems.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Launching!

I hear people with 224/224 cams are able to drive them on hte street without a tune for awhile.... but this does make sense for some people. hope you sell a few
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by barracuda_440
I hear people with 224/224 cams are able to drive them on hte street without a tune for awhile.... but this does make sense for some people. hope you sell a few
You can do it, I did for a while but its not ideal and does buck and surge a bit. You really need a tune with most cams, thats why this is perfect in this application.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastvert
99blancoSS , I am amazed by your patience! Way to keep your cool, I would have lost it by now haha. Rest assured there are members out there that understand and value what you are selling with this package.

I think what turns some people off is that if you are going to go through the pain a cam swap, why put in a baby cam? I think the answer for those of you thinking this is MONEY. We all dream big, and all want to dump in a monster cam but honestly most don't have the funds to do it right and the end result is a car that is barely streetable and not much fun to drive. (surging, bucking, stalling)

What we have here is a cam that you can put in for some reasonable $$$, and make better power then your dog of a ride is making now without headaches and problems.
The old Blanco would of unleashed on these guys I assure you. He's a good guy and from what I have seen on another site he does what he says and is very responsive and courteous. He definately responds in a timely manner this I know from my experience with him. (BTW Blanco I will be contacting you for what we talked about on the other site.) Is this cam for everyone no but for the guys that want a hassle free experience and a cam that is actually drivable this wouldn't be a bad deal. Who knows it may getba guy interested in wrenching on his car and make him an enthusiast. We have heard the stories of the new guy getting the biggest cam he could find, putting in his car and then being very unhappy and selling the car because it wouldn't run right and no one could make it run right. This is exactly what he says it is a cam for beginners that want to wrench on their cars but don't have thousands of dollars to get supporting mods for a monster cam. Give him some credit for posting a usable cam that gives added performance for a little bit of money when you take into account the supporting mods for a bigger cam. Damn guys have we become so jaded that we no longer realize thet there are people that don't want to live with a cam like the T Rex on the street and don't have the money to replace all the parts required by choosing that cam.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Thank you for your patience in offering this package.

I'm sure once someone tries it out more will follow. I can't wait to see actual customer reviews, track times, dyno, etc. Curious as to how well it compares to the regular LS6 Cam 204/218 .550 117.5 and GM springs.

The fact that it gains HP and doesn't require a lot of supporting mods is attractive to a lot of people I'm sure. The lift alone has to increase the HP/TQ across the entire RPM range I would think.

Quick Reply: Beginner enthusiast cam swap package!