Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My alarm is starting to piss me off

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My alarm is starting to **** me off

So for about the last 3 days when I get in my car I try to start it and the security light comes on and the car wont start for about 3-4 mins. Everything will turn on, radio, lights ect...But the car will just make no noise. I checked the sticky on it. So I am guessing I should replace my clutch sensor.

Well I was walking into work and I hit my lock button on my key fab and the car beeped as usual and then 5 seconds later the alarm starting going off! WTF??!

So basically I cant lock my car cause the alarm just instantly goes off when I set it. Im pissed, I dont have money to have someone check it out.

The dealership just reprogrammed the key fab about 2 months ago and everything has been working just perfect. I am getting so frustrated.

Last thing, the car doesn't set itself after 30 seconds anymore, it use to set the alarm and the lights would flash saying it was set but that doesn't happen anymore.

Can you guys let me know whats going on.

Thanks a ton...sorry for the rant just trying to get all the details out.

M

ps....stock alarm
Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT...I tried to lock my car from the inside today, I shut the door waited for 10 seconds and the alarm went off....This sucks I cant lock my car, im so worried to leave it anywhere.

Any advise?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats wierd...the same thing just happened with mine the other day. Sucks cause I cant lock my car. Does anybody know what to do to fix this???
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Just brainstorming....I honestly don't know if this is possible (just got a '99 this weekend).

Is there a fuse for just the alarm system that you can pull, so that you can still at least lock the doors until the issue is fully resolved? Also, have you tried just manually pushing the lock on the door instead of using the power locks? Sorry if these don't help, as I know you must be pretty damn frustrated right now with not being able to lock the car.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The security light on/flashing/no start until it turns off is not an alarm issue - it's VATS. The alarm going off for no apparent reason just after arming is usually a bad shock sensor - try disconnecting it temporarily and see if it stops.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mcalus
So for about the last 3 days when I get in my car I try to start it and the security light comes on and the car wont start for about 3-4 mins. Everything will turn on, radio, lights ect...But the car will just make no noise. I checked the sticky on it. So I am guessing I should replace my clutch sensor.

Well I was walking into work and I hit my lock button on my key fab and the car beeped as usual and then 5 seconds later the alarm starting going off! WTF??!

So basically I cant lock my car cause the alarm just instantly goes off when I set it. Im pissed, I dont have money to have someone check it out.

The dealership just reprogrammed the key fab about 2 months ago and everything has been working just perfect. I am getting so frustrated.

Last thing, the car doesn't set itself after 30 seconds anymore, it use to set the alarm and the lights would flash saying it was set but that doesn't happen anymore.

Can you guys let me know whats going on.

Thanks a ton...sorry for the rant just trying to get all the details out.

M

ps....stock alarm
If i am reading this right you are saying that the alarm will go off seconds after you set it? if that is correct then i had the same problem. When i would set the alarm it would be fine for a minute or two then the alarm would go off for no reason. It was a pain in the ***. I found out that it was my shock sensor for the alarm. I bought a new sensor from Chevy which was I think $60. I could be wrong about the price. Took the old one out and put the new one it and that fixed the problem. Took me 2 minutes to change it. The shock sensor is located on the passenger side by the spare tire. It is on the rear wheel well. I will try to find the part number for you.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I will set the alarm with the key fab and the the alarm will go off seconds later. The security light comes on when I put the key in run position and it will never turn off until I wait about 5 min then it will fire right up. Sometimes it wont start when the light goes off.

I have hit the lock button inside but I haven't tried to lock it manually yet.

So VATS is bad so does this mean I have to get new keys programed? Doesn't that cost a but load?

This car is getting on my nerves. This problem is just 1 of about 15 other things I need to fix, (trans mount, coolant level sensor, axle bearings)

I am very frustrated!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try cleaning the key first for VATS, or just bypass it with a resistor of the same value in the key. Think disconnecting the shock sensor leaves the rest of the alarm system intact until you can replace it. My car doesn't have a low coolant sensor, GM did away with them in 00? Disconnecting it will keep the light off. Trans mount is easy to replace...hang in there.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

Try disconnecting the shock sensor and then locking the car with it disconnected. See if the alarm goes off then. I had a problem when I couldn't start my car when I put in the key in. Everything else would work I just couldn't start the car. Found out that it was the floor mat getting in the way of the clutch. The floor mat was blocking the clutch from going all the way down to turn the car on. Sometimes it something stupid like that. LOL
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I manually locked the car today, no problems, For some reason the last 5 times I have started my car today it started with no problem, it only did it once this morning.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

I think if you manually lock the car the alarm will not set. That is why you were not having any problems with the alarm going off for no reason.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

This is a similar problem to what I had with mine. Heres a post about how I fixed it, though I'm not sure it will apply to your situation, worth checking out.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=39070
Old 11-27-2008, 01:52 AM

Default camaro wont start

i have a 2000 camaro ss and today i got on it like every other day and it wouldnt crank alarm is goin of. lights are flashin in dash and outside of car. hade new key made nothin happened. disconnected batt for an hour still nothing. what do i do. please
Old 11-27-2008, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

its your shock sensor 100% positive just unplug it. or get a new one from the dealership for 25$. mine did the same EXACT thing. its located in your spare tire area its about the size of an old nokia phone (sorry, all i could think of for size comparison) and flat black in color. hope this helps.

Eric
Old 11-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

WTF mine started do the exact same thing this week, let me know what works for you
Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

I would go with the removal of the alarm fuse until you can afford to get it looked at
Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

My alarm started to do all kinds of crazy crap. I disconnected the shock sensor and it was still all crazy so I went though the programing for the factory alarm (check the owners manual) so it is Keyless entry only, No alarm. No more problems since.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
My alarm started to do all kinds of crazy crap. I disconnected the shock sensor and it was still all crazy so I went though the programing for the factory alarm (check the owners manual) so it is Keyless entry only, No alarm. No more problems since.
How did you make it so its just keyless entry???
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

in the owners manual there is a section on programing the factory alarm. Its really weird... something like pull the fuse for the radio and turn the car to Key on (engine off). the car goes in the programing mode and you have to press different things in the car to change the settings.. Literally form what I remember it was like press the door lock and it dings to change one option. press the power window and it changes another option.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
in the owners manual there is a section on programing the factory alarm. Its really weird... something like pull the fuse for the radio and turn the car to Key on (engine off). the car goes in the programing mode and you have to press different things in the car to change the settings.. Literally form what I remember it was like press the door lock and it dings to change one option. press the power window and it changes another option.
Weird.... But ill check it out thank you sir!

Quick Reply: My alarm is starting to piss me off