Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevelle Swap, LS1,2,6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevelle Swap, LS1,2,6?

I have been lurking for a while, but am finally registered.

I am planning on dropping (if it were that easy) an LSX motor into my 72' Chevelle. I have been spying this swap for a while. I have narrowed it down to either a third Gen LS1 or LS6, or if I can get my hands on a Gen IV LS2. A tranny has not been selected yet (either M6 or A4).

I am an LSX newb and am looking for a few pointers, I am not looking to have my mind made up, just get some knowledge from who knows what they are talking about.

I am looking for:

-Any flaws in either of the LSX engines listed
-Reliability (This will be a couple day a week driver)
-Hoping to push over 425HP, 500HP top if I do not have to sacrifice much
-Cost (Cheap of course, will spend a few more bucks though to do it right the first time)
-Most economical, better mileage/drivability when reaching power goals.
-Best place to pick up used motors or crate motors (Besides LS1Tech)
-This will not see strip time

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id recommend getting an ls2 if you can get your hands on a decent one. or an ls1.

there really is no "problems" with the engine unless you do something wrong to it.

and as far as reliability these are some really nice motors to have, they last forever and really never have any issues.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

all of these are great reliable motors, but if ur looking for those hp numbers than i would go with the ls2, u should b able to get there faster, and cheaper
Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats your budget is the first question?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Teching In

If you are buying a crate motor that is already fully assembled you can rule out the LS1. The LS6 is a few hundred dollars more from most places I've seen it for sale, and it is worth the extra 50-60 horsepower if you do not plan on doing heads and cam right away.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Seagram's,
You have a nice project and good thinking with either. These are actually really reliable setups... for the most part. That's why I'm doing kind of the same project but with a '70 RS Camaro. TKO 600 5-speed to mate up with it and should be a fair play toy, as yours should be also.
Good luck with the swap!!
I shot you a PM that might be of interest.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all of the reply's, Mike, I shot back on the PM. I was hoping to shell out between 3-4K for a used, not abused motor. I dunno if this is realistic or not.

I am looking to start for a pull-out with <35K miles (flexible on the mileage for the right price). Or I would pay a few more bucks for a crate motor(Long Block to turn-key). Flea Bay seems outrageous for some of these motors, some of the stock remanned motors are about $3K w/o core charge on 3rd Gen's at buy it now, which doesn't seem bad.

Any sites to look at or other forums?

I am looking to get into something later on this summer or early fall, winter at the latest. I am waiting until I find that deal, yet if it comes up, I am not going to wait. I am hoping to get into a motor with stock internals/stock top end, minimal bolt-ons are alright. I have gotten screwed on a couple of modded motors I have bought in the past. This will be a driver with only bolt-ons.