Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noob Exhaust Question

I live in ohio and i can't pass e-check because i currently have the code P0420 "catylist efficiency below threshhold". And well the stock cats and y-pipe are very expensive. Normally this is covered under warranty through GM but those bastards won't honor the warranty because it expired 3 months ago. So basically the car is stuck in the garage during all of this beautiful weather! So the question is, should i kill two birds with one stone and try and find a decently priced set of headers with a y-pipe and cats included? That way i get what i want and fix the problem at the same time. (let me know if these are good...OBX headers with y-pipe and pass through cats, found on ebay for 500)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...spagenameZWDVW Or should i try to take it somewhere and get just the cat taken care of? Money is tight but i don't want to spend the money on the repair when i'm just gonna upgrade later this summer to a full exhaust.

Ps. Whats the diff. btw pass through cats and regular cats??
And does anyone have any other ideas to help me out? Please keep in mind that i have to have cats to pass...unfortunatly...
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

try to find some used stuff in the for sale section...def kill 2 birds with one stone
Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

pass through cats, are just high flow, better performance. about the code, it may be an O2 sensor going bad, if thats what it is, you can get a new one <$100
Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try getting the code erased before going to get the car smogged.
Worked on my thunderbird. Don't know about the F-bodies though.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I have looked through the most recent pages of stuff for sale and haven't found anything yet. And if i erase the code and drive the car as soon as it warms up the code comes right back on..... So do the high flow cats work the same as regular cats? do they at least reduce enough smog so that it doesn't throw a code?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Technically LT's are illegal in all 50 states cause they move the cats from their original location. It's a good thing most shops don't know this. The obx headers are SS which is nice but search the External and you will see some complaining of DS header banging the floorboard. Their y is also only 2 1/2" instead of 3" like most systems. If I were to go budget I'd do a coated Pacesetter. The Pacesetter Y sucks but the TSP one will bolt right up and looks to be a little better.

Yes hi flow cats will still work(pass). They just have more holes per inch for the exhaust to pass through. Standard cats are 200 per inch and I think my metallic core Magnaflows are 300 per inch.

GO FOR IT
Old 05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Get a handheld or custom tune and shut the rear 02's off. Thats my answer to that problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

im in the same boat as this guy.. i went to get my car to pass inspection, and i'm gettin the code P0420 which they say i had a bad right side cat converter.. now i have a 2000 trans am ws6.. they said the GM part is like 600$ or somethin retarded.. i've been lookin around and i find some for 140 and some for like 340 on the ws6 store..but i dont really kno the difference other then price.. i wouldn't mind upgrading also even if i have to pay a little more. thanks

also on the magnoflow site.. they have direct-fit for like 500$ and universal for 150ish.. i mean is direct fit that much better or whats the deal with that?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Technically LT's are illegal in all 50 states cause they move the cats from their original location. It's a good thing most shops don't know this. The obx headers are SS which is nice but search the External and you will see some complaining of DS header banging the floorboard. Their y is also only 2 1/2" instead of 3" like most systems. If I were to go budget I'd do a coated Pacesetter. The Pacesetter Y sucks but the TSP one will bolt right up and looks to be a little better.

Yes hi flow cats will still work(pass). They just have more holes per inch for the exhaust to pass through. Standard cats are 200 per inch and I think my metallic core Magnaflows are 300 per inch.

GO FOR IT
Hey! Thanks for the input bud! I took a risk and went to the e-check. I have a cheap actron scanner that i erased the code with last night. So after work today i took it for the smog test and well as you all know they usually just plug the scanner in and quickly read the codes to make sure there isn't an SES light. Well they said my system wasn't ready or something so they had to do the tailpipe test on it! I was so sure that i would fail the test due to my bad cat that i pretty much raised my arms up and gave up! Well with some crazy luck it passed! I'm beginning to think that it isn't the cat but probably the 02 sensor in bank 1. What do you guys think??
Old 05-30-2008, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm...who cares and go get those Longtubes! lol
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by desertLS1
Ummm...who cares and go get those Longtubes! lol
lol! I'm def. gonna get longtubes as soon as i can! Just gotta get the cash together. How hard is it to install longtubes on the car? I'm guessing its not a backyard type of job...
Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

The hardest part is usually taking the stock manifolds off. You must get the car high enough to stand the headers straight up and slide in from the bottom. Some brands require grinding off an engine casting tab, grinding K-member or disconnecting the steering. Pretty simple stuff. The last set I did was Pacesetters and just had to grind casting tab for a minute.