New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb looking for a place to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newb looking for a place to start

I'm looking to put an LS-series motor inside my 1989 Camaro. I'm already aware of some of the basics (new K-Member, wiring harness and fuel delivery setup) but I'm trying to fill in some gaps. To begin, I'm looking for a decent engine combo around the area of 450-500 hp (I'll probably up the hp in a few more years) similar to a build in a recent Super Chevy, still streetable and not bottled-fed (for now) with a T-56. Now I know many 98-02 Camaros came with an LS1 already mated to a T-56 and those are not too hard to find. I'd rather have the new 6.0 with a T-56 but so far the only drop outs of those are from the newer (04 or 05 and up, don't remember) GTOs. Here's where I need you guys help. I'm working on a budget (wife and kids do that to ya) and can't spend a shitload of money. I realize the 6.0 is easier to make more power in the long run from, but the LS1 is cheaper. T-56 coming with it makes my search much easier. Which engine would be better to go for? Also, would I need a new ECU (I'm pretty certain I would) and where can I get one that would be relatively good for my car? Also, where can I find info on switching to a carb with an LS-series engine? Any books out there that cover the newer (6.0) models? I know this has been a long-winded post and has a few questions, but I think I'm surrounded by more technically proficient techies and experienced drivers than I that may be able to help. Thanks a bunch fellas!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

One of the admins at sefbody.com is rolling around in a thirdgen with an LS1/T56 swap. Might want to head over there and look for pointers.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thridgen.org has all of your answers. It's a big project man I was looking into it myself. Are you looking for a long block or willing/able to build up from a short block? In the sponsor deals here you can get a LS3 6.2 I believe hella cheap man but it's a shortblock. I'd start with just getting the short block and forging it now to hold that power for a long *** time and it'll be strong as hell. 450 HP is possible with an LS1 with heads LS6 intake and a 23x 23x .6xx cam. TSP sells the torquer v2 and v3 that will put you there and you probably spend $2300 or more for the parts. Add the cubes from the LS3 and you'll make more power and make it down lower due to the added cubes.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:39 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done the carb conversion on my car, so if you have questions PM me and I'll try my best to help you out
Old 05-31-2008, 06:30 PM

I'd still like to know a general opinion of which is better; the 5.7 or the 6.0 engine. I'm trying to keep cost in mind...
Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Here's a thread from one of the mods on here who did just what you want to do.

Badjuju342's LS1 into third gen