New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes?? Shorties??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Missouri has visual e-check and I got away with my LTs. I went to a sorta performance shop, but by no means knew anyone there to rubber stamp it.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruedy4
yeah.....i'm in cleveland...they are ****** about it. For example if i was registered in wakeman or even canton i wouldn't need an e-check (and those two are only a half hour to 45min away). So i'm just tying to go the safest, smartest and somewhat cheapest route.

the e-check is easy to bypass, just get your car tuned by someone that knows what they are doing, and to pass the visual, just find some cat shells (the heat shield) from another car or buy dummy shells, and bolt them under your car with some clamps. thats what I am going to have to do because I have a ORY. If you know anyone in another county that has a eaiser emission testing, I heard that if you can prove you live in that county you can have your car tested there. So just call up your insurance company and you phone company and tell them you changed your address, and give them the address of a friend that lives there. take the mail down to the court house and register your vehicle there, but then again, its only what I have been told.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrensls1
The smartest thing to do is to find out any inside information you can before you purchase anything. You all ready got yourself off to a good start by coming here and asking a question. You now know that shorties will gain you 2 rwhp vs longtubes that gain you 20 rwhp. But what about emissions?

There are three types of emission testing. First thing to do is find out which one they do in your area.

1). OBDII scan only. If all they do is plug in a computer and look for codes then you're fine. You can even get an ORY as long as you have someone with a tuner program make it so the computer doesn't throw any emission codes.

2). Sniffer test. If they do actually hook up a hose to your exhaust pipe then you can still be ok if you get a catted Y pipe. It's a little more expensive but it's well worth it since the LT gains are huge.

3). Visual test. This one will kill you if the inspector knows what to look for. There is a federal law that states you can not relocate cats. Since LT headers push the high flow cats further from the engine they are by definition illegal.

You've probably heard the saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Many people here have inside tracks on "friendly" places that tend to pass cars with LT's and big lopey cams. The three best places to "possibly" find the name and address of a friendly place would be:

1). Local track. Ask some of the guys there with faster cars and you might get valuable information.

2). Closest performance shop. Ask about buying and paying them to install LT's and an ORY or catted Y. But voice your concerns on passing emissions. This often results in valuable information being offered to you in exchange for your business.

3). Local street racer hangout. Although I do not participate or encourage street racing, this could be a good place to learn where they all go to get emissions passed.

Good luck.
Hey thanks you helped a lot. I live in CA but thinking to install longtubes, so if i put a catted Y, i should pass the sniffer???
Old 06-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
Hey thanks you helped a lot. I live in CA but thinking to install longtubes, so if i put a catted Y, i should pass the sniffer???
Cali and longtubes don't really mix
Old 06-01-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super Speed
Cali and longtubes don't really mix
mids and a catted y?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yea dude CALI SUCKS! for smog crap. thats the only thing i hate about living in cali. dammit. i wish i had some fast as car before 1975. haha wouldnt have to worry. but yea if you put long tubes on its pretty hard to pass.

there is ways to get around it though..
when i get my long tubes im just registering my car in arizona. n dont have to worry about it.
or you can just change your LT to stock when you need to smog it then change it back after. (but that might be a pain? but hey its worth it)
Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Longtubes all the way!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
yea dude CALI SUCKS! for smog crap. thats the only thing i hate about living in cali. dammit. i wish i had some fast as car before 1975. haha wouldnt have to worry. but yea if you put long tubes on its pretty hard to pass.

there is ways to get around it though..
when i get my long tubes im just registering my car in arizona. n dont have to worry about it.
or you can just change your LT to stock when you need to smog it then change it back after. (but that might be a pain? but hey its worth it)
since i'm no mechanic and dont have proper equipment for the job, changing to stock is pretty much a dead option to me... Since i live in an apartment, i will have to throw away stock headers... But seriously does a mid with a catted y do the trick??? I really want to purchase some headers and a y in about 2 weeks or so...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 AM
TECH Addict

Long is always better. Just ask the ladies...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

since i'm no mechanic and dont have proper equipment for the job, changing to stock is pretty much a dead option to me... Since i live in an apartment, i will have to throw away stock headers... But seriously does a mid with a catted y do the trick??? I really want to purchase some headers and a y in about 2 weeks or so...
Yeah i'm in the same boat as this guy. Does anyone have experience with mids with a catted y?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ruedy4
Yeah i'm in the same boat as this guy. Does anyone have experience with mids with a catted y?
I'll be asking a question about headers in Westside section...
Old 06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you do shorties just pay me, ill kick ya in the nuts... and you will fell better having kept the stocks.

Just playing. But definately go long. They are your best bet. Mids are ok... i mean if your planning on slamming the car to the ground, then you wont have to worry about clearance issues. But other then that i would say stick with the long tubes. Most of the people that i know that went with mids didnt like them and switched to longs. Longs give the best overall performance.

Although, im loving the shorties w/ the turbo.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

cali ftl
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Yes, catted Y pipes should pass the sniffer. Providing of course you go with quality high flow cats and don't have a big camshaft.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

there are good gains from mac mids, ill be going with those myself.