Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say just drive it till she dies. then go from there
Old 06-07-2008, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

+1 on the pics

I wanna see exterior, interior, engine bay, etc.

Congratulations! Also, someone mentioned that they were wondering what the LS1 mileage record is. I'm also curious. Any mods have some sort of documentation from years passed? Freakin' amazing!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FST-Z
+1 on the pics

I wanna see exterior, interior, engine bay, etc.

Congratulations! Also, someone mentioned that they were wondering what the LS1 mileage record is. I'm also curious. Any mods have some sort of documentation from years passed? Freakin' amazing!
plus oil pressure readings
Old 06-07-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

run it, she'll take it. Just change every fluid, tune up the usual and she'll be fine. My brothers 94 S10 4.3 H.O has 392,000 miles, original engine/trans (knock on wood) and he's ran the **** outa that thing for the last 9 yrs of owing it. He bought it when he was 16 as his first vehicle.

Started running MB1 5-30 at 250,000 miles, just switched to castrol 0-30 at 388,000. She'll barely use any oil (knock on wood again)

I think it's almost impossible to see a Gen III + V8 just get tired due to mileage. Those engines are very well designed, and have proven themselves
Old 06-07-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

My SS has 215k... you're the first one I've seen with more miles than me.

If the fuel pump hasn't been replaced, check your fuel pressure frequently... mine's just now going out.

Listen for your front wheel bearings to go bad. You probably need new bushings throughout the suspension if you haven't done them. New motor mounts and tranny mount, too.

I had a lifter go bad... and for safe measure, put in a new longblock at 201k... could have kept running the old motor with new lifters/cam, but that was all the excuse I needed to upgrade

Good luck... that's a ton of miles. Overall, mine's been incredibly reliable, hope you have as good of luck as I have.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quadd2244
Damn well first oof CONGRADULATIONS for having so many miles and still up and running.

I think with that many miles on the motor bolt ons wont hurt it but id stay away from heads,cam and so on. Id seafoam the motor asap and see how it runs after that. If I were you id start building a new motor just incase. WHy go buy bolt ons and maybe put a cam in and waste money if the motor gives out so id buy a shortblock and just start over

Hows the oil pressure on it?
i totally agree with this. save your money or start a new build.

suspension mods wouldn't hurt with that many miles bushings and such may be pretty well destroyed

if you plan on modding it in the future then you can start now with the week links like the rear end.

and when you finally swap the engine save a few hundred extra and get a tubular k-member
Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

as long as its not burning oil you'll be fine...i would def. do a chain though..i bet you that thing is so sloppy..i had 54k on mine when i swapped out to a double roller and it was sloppy. i wouldnt be surprised if your cam timing is a degree or two retarted..but hey thats what the cam sensor is for..lol
Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Alot of great advice so far. The only other thing I would do that hasn't been mentioned is a compression test. Find a trusted engine guy in your area and take it to him.

Damn that's some sick *** miles!!! Props to Pops for taking care of it the way he did and you for keeping up with his ritual.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Teching In

PICS COMING SOON.....okay..... I'm a new user and I'm learning the in and outs of this very informative and interesting website, but I will get some pics on here asap. But if u wanna use your imagination. The car is in excellent condition not one rip, scratch, or blemish on any of the seats, dash, arm rest, head rest, nothing. Everything power still works with the exception of the drivers side window, and the antenna motor sounds at start-up but the antenna never actually moves (just stays up). I guess she could use a paint job, very minor nicks here and there. but not a dent on the entire car (before I was rear ended 2 weeks ago). the engine compartnent looks 7years old(dusty and dirty) but she still runs beautiful. once again pics coming asap.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Teching In

I'm loving the input and advice, thanks to everyone who posted and will post! In case anyone cares out of the 220k+ miles, the only part I've replaced (this includes my dad) is the alternator. This is not counting routine maintaince parts spark plugs, wires etc. I'm still on the stock clutch, calipers,transmission, rear-end. etc. I obviously need to get the window fixed which is either a switch or motor so u can count that too. And oh yea my lil brother tried to take off a T-Top on the f*cking freeway (replaced)! LMAO. I've been under the car. The struts need to get replaced (but they aren't leaking) I just know after 75000 they "should". Sway bar bushings have some minor cracks, but no movement in inner and outer tie-rods, or wheel bearings.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
congrats,

Al Bundy did not get the Viper cuz remember it rolled over with out them recording it, so he went out and drove it out to put the miles back up, and that was the end of the episode
LMAO..... its all coming back to me now. He didn't get the viper, cause he fell asleep in the dodge and slapped it into nuetral. Things never could go right for my man Al. I knew I wasn't the only one who watched that show!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

damn ..thats one reliable car ,congrats WS6ExY .....i am at 126000 miles ..on my 02 ta ws6 a4 . rebuilt tranmission 2 times ...well that was under warranty , replaced window motors , replaced sail panel speakers ..thats bout it . still runnin strong .
looking forward to LS3 in future. has it been done ?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

Did your dad mainly drive highway miles? That is amazing how many miles you guys have been able to get out of her.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Did your dad mainly drive highway miles? That is amazing how many miles you guys have been able to get out of her.
Yup, it was his work car so he mainly drove it on the highway on business trips. I drive it everday about 60 miles round trip to work.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by foreverzero
damn, thats alot of miles, is this the record? who has the most miles on their original engine without a rebuild?
i dont know if im the highest but i have 262,XXX miles on my lt1 engine stock everything

Quick Reply: 01 WS6-200000mi and running. Need Advice