Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newb @ shifting. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Hey, man, you need to rev match much better than you are (I know exactly the problem and noise you're talking about; I experienced the same thing the first time I got a manual car and went through a clutch to prove it). The first step is to find out exactly where your RPM needs to be for each gear at each speed. I'm not saying you need to rev it to EXACTLY that RPM when downshifting, but putting it in the general vicinity will prevent the problem you are talking about (which will fry your clutch quicker than just about anything if you keep it up, not to mention damaging other parts).

The key is to eventually get the throttle blip quick enough and close enough so that it becomes one motion. You eventually don't want to have to "hold" the RPMs up while you select the gear and then release the clutch. You want to push the clutch in, immediately blipping the throttle while you're selecting the lower gear, and then releasing the clutch before the RPM comes down at all. It takes some practice but once you get it down, it will make for very smooth downshifts and less parts breaking and wearing down.

Start off by going out and just holding each gear for longer on a regular acceleration to find out what RPM your car is at at certain speeds in each gear. For example, maybe at 60mph, 3rd gear puts you around 4300RPM (not actually numbers, just an example). Take note of that and the next time you're cruising at 60 and want to downshift to third for a run, clutch in, blip the throttle up to somewhere in the 4000-4500 range while you're putting it into third, then release the clutch quickly (DON'T DUMP IT, but don't ride it either) and you'll be good to go.
Pewter, thanks man for the advise! havnt gotten a chance to try again. hopfully this week end. im going to def do what you said. i was dumping the clutch and dont think i was rev matching prop. hopefully thats it.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

24.5mpg wtf????
Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Hey, man, you need to rev match much better than you are (I know exactly the problem and noise you're talking about; I experienced the same thing the first time I got a manual car and went through a clutch to prove it). The first step is to find out exactly where your RPM needs to be for each gear at each speed. I'm not saying you need to rev it to EXACTLY that RPM when downshifting, but putting it in the general vicinity will prevent the problem you are talking about (which will fry your clutch quicker than just about anything if you keep it up, not to mention damaging other parts).

The key is to eventually get the throttle blip quick enough and close enough so that it becomes one motion. You eventually don't want to have to "hold" the RPMs up while you select the gear and then release the clutch. You want to push the clutch in, immediately blipping the throttle while you're selecting the lower gear, and then releasing the clutch before the RPM comes down at all. It takes some practice but once you get it down, it will make for very smooth downshifts and less parts breaking and wearing down.

Start off by going out and just holding each gear for longer on a regular acceleration to find out what RPM your car is at at certain speeds in each gear. For example, maybe at 60mph, 3rd gear puts you around 4300RPM (not actually numbers, just an example). Take note of that and the next time you're cruising at 60 and want to downshift to third for a run, clutch in, blip the throttle up to somewhere in the 4000-4500 range while you're putting it into third, then release the clutch quickly (DON'T DUMP IT, but don't ride it either) and you'll be good to go.
Good advice from pewter.

Seems like the op is just letting go of the clutch after giving it some gas, causing his car to jerk around.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mcG
24.5mpg wtf????

WTF what? Ya chavez, i was just dumping the clutch. im going to try and ease it out for awhile untill i get good.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Good rule of thumb for downshifting is don't go more then 2 gears say 5th to 3rd or 4th to 2nd. And always blip the throttle before releasing the clutch.
Never go more than 2 gears??? If I'm going 75 in 6th (1700 RPM or something close to it) and I want to move quick, I just whack the throttle while making my 6-3 downshift, hit the shift smoothly and hit 4th gear somewhere over 90 mph...with a stock rear gear, 4th is good at highway speed...but when you really want to move, 3rd is better. Granted I can probably hit 6-5-4-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-4-5-6-5-4-3 all rev matched and never see my speedometer move, and never have my passengers heads bob because I've been driving stick cars for so long...but it just takes practice.

My opinion is don't live by rules of thumb, generally they compromise fun...and why drive a T56 LS1 car if it isn't for fun??? (and mpg ), there's a LOT of people out on the highway who can't downshift to save their lives (just ask the guy in the ZO6 that I smoked like 8 times on I-84 in CT a couple weeks ago). Find someone who can, and go for a ride in their car and watch their feet carefully. That ZO6 DEFINITELY had the power to beat me, but that ZO6's driver DEFINITELY had no clue how to get power out of his car if he wasn't running it from a stop.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh and the bang noise...generally when you don't bring the tach up high enough, and dump the clutch hard anyways, the axle launches itself off the ground and then slams back down...thats where the bang comes from.

Watch what the tach does when you let the clutch pedal out...if it snaps upward, you didn't give it enough gas, if it snaps downward, too much gas...
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Oh and the bang noise...generally when you don't bring the tach up high enough, and dump the clutch hard anyways, the axle launches itself off the ground and then slams back down...thats where the bang comes from.

Watch what the tach does when you let the clutch pedal out...if it snaps upward, you didn't give it enough gas, if it snaps downward, too much gas...
thanks Mike for the info. stupid question but how come the axle likes to leap when you dont bring the rpms up? thats about what i was feeling. like the rear end was jumping.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Engine rpm is slow and trans speed is high = rear wheels jumping due to a braking effect. The wheels are slowing down to match the low engine speed and they meet somewhere in the middle. Think of engine braking to an extreme. And if your not racing just doing it to get into the throttle don't just dump the clutch like said earlier let it out at a good pace gives the flywheel and clutch more time to match speed then slaming them together and forcing it in seconds. I'd say if you trying to learn over compensate a LITTLE more RPM. Better a cooked clutch then a broken rear ect. and you get to see where the RPM drops to. IMO it makes it easier to learn because you don't slow the car with the low RPM and it's not like a little too much RPM is gonna act like a turbo and make you rocket off.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to practice work your way down to the gear you want one at a time , and give it a good rev right before you let the clutch out. And as far as shifting fast its gonna take time to learn lol. My favorite speed when i wanna do a pull is go from about 60mph in 2nd gear thats about 5k or so i think and it pulls hard!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Omec
WTF what? Ya chavez, i was just dumping the clutch. im going to try and ease it out for awhile untill i get good.
wtf meaning i am lucky to get 16 mpg
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so have you gotten any better @ the shifting? its been a little while
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omec
Pewter, thanks man for the advise! havnt gotten a chance to try again. hopfully this week end. im going to def do what you said. i was dumping the clutch and dont think i was rev matching prop. hopefully thats it.
No problem. Let us know how it goes. Rev matching takes a while to get natural, but once you do, everything will last longer and drive smoother.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

sup guys, i havnt gotten a chance to drive it. was gonna sunday but the weather was a wash out. having two jobs wont let me play till friday. im pumped too, getting the exhaust fixed friday as well so im going to have to open it up to hear the new sound ( LT's + ORY+ flowmaster = ). i think she will sound sweet. ill def let yall know and hopfully i dont brake anything lol. naw im gonna take it easy and do what you guys said. seriously, thanks for all the help. i dont have many peiple to show me how to do this. my buddy has an STi but hes no good at shifting that either and thats kinda an art.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
Fixed that for ya.
haha!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
you should maybe learn how to drive stick in a beater or something to **** that thing up. not your car.
First time I learned stick was in my 12 second SS.

But I didn't do stupid **** like go from 5th to first or grind gears.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey guys, took the car out today to put some gas in it. i had a successful down shift from 5th to 3rd at 60mph. pretty friggin proud of my self. didnt feel like it had much pull to it and to be honest i didnt watch the tach. my girl friend sitting in the pass seat seemed to think so, as she was screaming and holding onto the new fish we just picked up from the pet store for dear life (friggin 80 dollar fish ). dunno, i didnt realy get pinned in the seat. maybe cuz im driving? anyways, i did what you guys said to do and took 2nd gear up to about 5 grand or so to see where i was at speed wise. not sure if i did it right though. i just babied it up to speed and then checked where i was at (in 2nd). at alittle over 5 grand i was at about 55. sound about right for 3.23's?so if im at 50-60 i should be shifting to 3rd then?

all in all the down shift i made was pretty smooth. slow but smooth. im fixing the exhaust tomorrow (thank friggin god) and going to start saving up for a tune. tomorrow after the exhaust is fixed im gonna try somemore down shifts and check my gear speeds + rpms. thanks all for the help you have given!!

corey

Last edited by Omec; 06-19-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Hey Omec, what exactly did you have to buy to do the entire swap? The Z28 I'm looking at is an A4, and I am thinking about doing a swap.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

my dad taught me how to blip the rev while clutched in on a dirtbike, i took the same idea to a car. same **** just feet instead of hands. that way when you release the clutch the car remains the same speed almost as if you never did anything.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS184
wht r ur gear ratios?...60mph in 3rd shouldnt have caused tht big of a problem...whn u put it into 3rd how much gas did u give it?
I hate stupid abbreviations.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I hate stupid abbreviations.
thats how lazy people are getting. they cant even finish out full words.