Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newb @ shifting. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb @ shifting. need help!

hey guys. just recently got done w/ my m6 swap and broke the clutch in. i can shift normaly (got 24.5 MPG sweet) no prob. but im not very good at down shifting and hammering down. couple times i did it i down shifted and it felt like the rear end was going to explode. almost like the clutch bounced off the flywheel. i cant totaly discribe how bad it felt. im realy surprised i didnt snap the input shaft of brake the bolts on the pressure plat lol. i was comming out of six at around 60 and down shifted to 3rd. i was trying to give it some gas and rev match when i dupmed the clutch. could that have been my problem. im kinda scared to get on it now and hope ya'll can give me some tips.

corey
Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

wht r ur gear ratios?...60mph in 3rd shouldnt have caused tht big of a problem...whn u put it into 3rd how much gas did u give it?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just keep practicing man..practice makes perfect. its still going so dont worry about it..just find out how fast you can go in each gear before you downshift and hammer it..I would usually go to a higher gear if the car was 10mph of where red line would be in the lower gear
Old 06-07-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
just keep practicing man..practice makes perfect. its still going so dont worry about it..just find out how fast you can go in each gear before you downshift and hammer it..I would usually go to a higher gear if the car was 10mph of where red line would be in the lower gear
+1. You don't want to kick it down into lst and then immediately shift to 2nd because you don't have any gear left. I would say that you want to be in whichever gear puts you between 3500-4500 RPMs. This will allow you to have plenty of gear left, but still be in your powerband.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good rule of thumb for downshifting is don't go more then 2 gears say 5th to 3rd or 4th to 2nd. And always blip the throttle before releasing the clutch.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Oh btw dont downshift into 1st!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I downshift, I usually try putting myself in the 4-4.5 rpm range. Say I'm in 5th going 50. I throw it from 5th to 2nd, with the cluth still in I rev her up to about 5k and dump the clutch. This probably isn't the best idea, because its pretty hard on the car. This is definetly the best way to get the most speed and initial launch out of the car when downshifting. I bought my car to drive the **** our of it and this method seems t be most effective and I haven't broke anything yet.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol thanks guys for the quick reply. any one ever run into a problem w/ it making a god awful noise or BANG if you will haha. the second time i got on it i pulled the biggest noob mistake of all. i forgot to turn traction control off. but i didnt think it was going to brake the tires free at 50 mph. so not only did traction control F&*k my world up i had a nice bang to go along w/ it because ive come to the conclusion i havnt a clue of what im doing lol. if i let of the clutch slowly after down shifting and let the clutch slip THEEEN get on it, its fine. maybe im not dipping into the throttle enough? oh and the rear is still the stock 3.23 from the auto. so for ex : 1500-1600 around 65 mph. this is w/ the ls7 clutch set up to so it should be so graby i would think. pedal still grabs kinda low though. thanks for any info! i put a hurtin on a new mustang GT last night but i must have looked like an *** in the process
Old 06-07-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like hell at first but you get used to it. Since you did the swap you still have 3.23 gears in the rear right?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
It sounds like hell at first but you get used to it. Since you did the swap you still have 3.23 gears in the rear right?
sounds worse than hell. satan him self would be like "WTF!" lol. yea its still got the 3.23's.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cvaught
When I downshift, I usually try putting myself in the 4-4.5 rpm range. Say I'm in 5th going 50. I throw it from 5th to 2nd, with the cluth still in I rev her up to about 5k and dump the clutch. This probably isn't the best idea, because its pretty hard on the car. This is definetly the best way to get the most speed and initial launch out of the car when downshifting. I bought my car to drive the **** our of it and this method seems t be most effective and I haven't broke anything yet.

******* awesome lol
Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

*Note to self: never buy a car from Cvaught*

haha
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BadElky

haha
Ha ha ha, I have had 2 other V6 F-body's and I actually baby'ed them. I bought the WS6 to drive it to its full potential. I actually baby the car and rarely rev it to over 2,000 rpm's when driving. But, when I do race or feel like running it, I do whatever it takes to get the most sped out of it. If it brakes, ill fix it.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Ha ha ha, I have had 2 other V6 F-body's and I actually baby'ed them. I bought the WS6 to drive it to its full potential. I actually baby the car and rarely rev it to over 2,000 rpm's when driving. But, when I do race or feel like running it, I do whatever it takes to get the most sped out of it. If it brakes, ill fix it.
AMEN.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

+1,000,000
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Good rule of thumb for downshifting is don't go more then 2 gears say 5th to 3rd or 4th to 2nd. And always blip the throttle before releasing the clutch.
pshhh, my fav thing in the world = 6th gear at 80mph, the downshift to third
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

you should maybe learn how to drive stick in a beater or something to **** that thing up. not your car.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BadElky

haha
he was tryin to selling it few months ago HAHAH
Old 06-12-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, man, you need to rev match much better than you are (I know exactly the problem and noise you're talking about; I experienced the same thing the first time I got a manual car and went through a clutch to prove it). The first step is to find out exactly where your RPM needs to be for each gear at each speed. I'm not saying you need to rev it to EXACTLY that RPM when downshifting, but putting it in the general vicinity will prevent the problem you are talking about (which will fry your clutch quicker than just about anything if you keep it up, not to mention damaging other parts).

The key is to eventually get the throttle blip quick enough and close enough so that it becomes one motion. You eventually don't want to have to "hold" the RPMs up while you select the gear and then release the clutch. You want to push the clutch in, immediately blipping the throttle while you're selecting the lower gear, and then releasing the clutch before the RPM comes down at all. It takes some practice but once you get it down, it will make for very smooth downshifts and less parts breaking and wearing down.

Start off by going out and just holding each gear for longer on a regular acceleration to find out what RPM your car is at at certain speeds in each gear. For example, maybe at 60mph, 3rd gear puts you around 4300RPM (not actually numbers, just an example). Take note of that and the next time you're cruising at 60 and want to downshift to third for a run, clutch in, blip the throttle up to somewhere in the 4000-4500 range while you're putting it into third, then release the clutch quickly (DON'T DUMP IT, but don't ride it either) and you'll be good to go.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it brakes, ill slow down.
Fixed that for ya.