Sponsored by:

Weak Burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weak Burnout?

Alright..

It seems like everything I do to make my car quicker actually makes it slower. Granted, throwing TPS codes after the throttle body work, and o2 codes after my headers had a lot to do with it, but something doesn't feel right.

When I stop to do a burn out, like at the track or on the street, the damn thing won't spin past around 10mph. It'll smoke after awhile, but shouldn't they be turning a little quicker than that? The plugs are wires are brand new, and don't stumble a bit. It's just a weak *** burn out!

I plugged it up to the tuner to check for any new codes, but all I'm getting is the regular AIR, EGR, and rear o2 warnings.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first off the TB will throw codes since mine did and so did a buddie of mines. Usually they wont but occasionaly they will. The Header install will also throw codes unless you get them tuned out. I dont know why you cant spin the tires but I think the lack of stall and since you have 2.73s has alot to do with it but it should still light them up. You need to get the air and egr codes tuned out. My car actually got real hot when I did a ported TB until I played with the little idle screw since it idled real high but its perfect now and my cars not dyno tuned but just a base tune

The numbers in your sig 13.40 at 104 seem like good numbers for having almost nothing done that yo have listed in your sig. My car is VERY slow I think for the amount of bolt ons I have. I think I should be trapping atleast 2-3mph higher then what I do so maybe your motor and mine are just tired out
Old 06-12-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe your pushing the brakes to hard, ease up on them a bit when your trying to do it and slowly let off with your foot close to full throttle, not hitting the rev limiter either!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

It threw TPS codes because the bumpstop was ground to like .96. I fixed it with some aluminum tape, and it hasn't bothered me since. After installing the headers, I threw o2 codes up front because I jerry-rigged them instead of buying extensions. I fixed that problem with a Corvette piece. So now it's just emissions codes, which shouldn't slow me down.

That 13.4 is the best time I've managed, which was my first run ever in the car. Traction and weather haven't really been on my side. Haven't ran with the exhaust set up.

I've only put a couple thousand on the car since I bought it with 70,000, so I don't think it got tired that quick. I don't rag on it too much. I think there's some small little detail somewhere I've skipped.

It just doesn't seem normal to me, you know?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

2.73s are your problem on the burnouts they will be weak, when I still had 2.73s it felt very sluggish
I though something was wrong with my car but after I put 3.73s felt like a beast smokem 1-2-3 easy

2.73s
Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schronk
2.73s are your problem on the burnouts they will be weak, when I still had 2.73s it felt very sluggish
I though something was wrong with my car but after I put 3.73s felt like a beast smokem 1-2-3 easy

2.73s
Yeah 2.73s are shitty for sure. My car with the stock 3.23s and 3000stall will destroy the tires at 1/2 throttle from a light on stock tires anyways
Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

I usually get the tires spinning, then start letting off the brake a little bit until you can feel the car start to roll and keep it right there so you know you have the minimum amount of brake applied. You cold also get a line lock to hold only the front brakes on. With a 13 second car you should be able to do some sweet burnouts I would think...
Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you make sure you turned off the ASR?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

did you change your maf? i had one from slp and when it went bad i had the one wheel peel even with power braking. i cleaned my stock one and put it back on and now it will smoke them until you want to stop. you can get a can of cleaner at auto-zone for about 4 bucks you might want to try it out.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

I think it's the 2.73's. What kind of tires do you have on back?