Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune and Mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune and Mod questions

I have a 99 LS1 Trans am (Ngk Plugs, MSD Wires, K&N filter, Flowmaster Muffler)

Well here's my situacion:

I dont care for racing or getting into the 12's...etc. I love my Trans-Am and i like cruising in it. Its stock performance is awesome for me. Now there are a few things here and there that are bothering me. In idle the car has a bit of a rough idle. Ive done spark Plugs and wires, New fuel filter, cleaned TB,new air filter and flowmaster muffler. There are days where i feel the car can perform better (Not for racing but for a more responsive ride).

Ive yet to check my o2 sensors which i suspect is behind the rough idle and sometimes when it does rough idle the oil Pressure gauge will dip a little almost to 30 only at stop lights or if im stopped with out being in park.

If it does end up being the o2's, instead of getting new ones id like to Tune them out and maybe in the near future go ahead and get a whole new exhaust system with headers. Perhaps even a cold air intake that exceeds the stock one.

i believe if i were to tune the car i could get rid of that annoying rough idle and by doing the exhaust and intake give me a little more "mmmph!" when driving around. Will this affect my Gas mileage in a negative way?

Pretty much im looking for a more responsive ride with a smooth idle.

Thanks for reading and i appreciate any opinions or suggestions!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Have you thought about the handheld predator. Works great for the mods I have. Check out diablosport.com to see all of what you can do with the predator.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by boola1341
Have you thought about the handheld predator. Works great for the mods I have. Check out diablosport.com to see all of what you can do with the predator.

Thanks, ill check their website out.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

You can tune out your rear o2's but I doubt that is what is making your idle rough. If it is your front o2's then you would have to buy new ones. You really can't run without front 02s.
As for your mods, your gas mileage should get a little bit better with exhaust and intake. Also might I suggest just getting a lid instead of a CAI. They cost less and give you approx. the same gain.