New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to get before tackling my cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to get before tackling my cam swap?

like the title says.

the vehicle, 04 silverado rcsb 5.3 4wd 44k miles. lt's and full exhaust going on at the same time as the cam.

I am putting the TR230 "Reverse Split" - 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA (as long as they tell me it has no ptv issuses with stock 5.3 heads, if so then i will go with the 227/224) and will buy the kit from them with: Your Choice of Thunder Racing Camshaft, Dual Patriot Gold Valvesprings and Ti Retainers, Thunder Racing Pushrods (7.400), Valve Stem Seals.

What else will I need to make this go smoothly. I dont feel that changing the water pump, oil pump, and belts etc are necessary at the moment due to the low miles on the truck, does that sound resonable?

anything else that I maybe overlooking?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

maybe intake manifold/k&n fipk or something...
Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not what I was talking about, what I meant was any gaskets etc. oh it does have a k&n, but I dont plan on upgrading the manifold or heads, thats why I want the reverse split, from what I've researched it is basically for vehicles that have really good exhaust systems, and minimally upgraded intake tracks, so it seems to fit my needs pretty good.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting ready for my cam/head swap as well and am wondering if I am missing anything. I would reccomend a new balancer bolt because they torque to yield and can only be used once, and while your there maybe put an UD pulley, I got mine from Byunnspeed for under $200 with belts, just something to think about.

You will need head gaskets ofcourse, timing cover, consider a new timing chain(SDPC has an LS2 chain for around $38 or a set for $68), Lifters are also goood to think about (SDPC has they LS7 lifters for just over $100 for the set), thats about all I can think of.

Good luck with the swap....post up some numbers after, thats a cool truck for a cam like that!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info, I get the gasket kit for a head cam swap from TR heres what it includes

111-12-LS LS1 Camshaft & Cylinder Head Swap Gasket Package includes: GM LS1 Cylinder Head Gaskets (left and right side,) GM Cylinder Head Bolts, GM Intake Manifold Gasket Set, GM Exhaust Manifold Gaskets, GM EGR Gaskets, GM Valve Cover Gaskets, GM Vapor Vent Pipe Seals, GM Water Pump Gaskets, GM Front Cover Seal, GM Front Cover Gasket, GM EGR Seals, GM Harmonic Balancer Bolt

So after that, I guess timing chain and lifters complete the list

for timing chains what do you guys recommend, an ls2 set which seems to be real popular or the rollmaster double?

as far as the underdrive pulleys thats gonna be done later, I will be getting a set of ls1 fbody efans so I can get rid of my power robbing windmill, so I wanna wait and do all that at the same time.

Im gonna have patrick g spec me a cam before I pull the trigger so I can see what he comes up with, I know you can go wrong with him, I just been wanting to run that reverse split ever since I saw that thread predator z has about it
Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

If your truck has low miles I wouldn't spend the money on lifters, now if it has 80 or 100K that's a different story. The ls2 chain is plenty for that cam. I would consider a ported/high volume oil pump.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i was kinda thinking that on the lifters, i guess the slp pump is the most common
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You dont need that gasket package. You arent going to use "GM LS1 Cylinder Head Gaskets (left and right side,) GM Cylinder Head Bolts, GM Intake Manifold Gasket Set, GM Exhaust Manifold Gaskets, GM EGR Gaskets, GM Valve Cover Gaskets, GM Vapor Vent Pipe Seals, GM EGR Seals"

You just need a new crank bolt (they can only be used one time), GM Front Cover Seal, GM Front Cover Gasket, ls2 timing chain. I would get a ported pump but that's just me. You might need valve cover gaskets but the intake manifold ones can be reused tons of times.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

75, I'm sure of it.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally posted by: stevied916
You dont need that gasket package. You arent going to use "GM LS1 Cylinder Head Gaskets (left and right side,) GM Cylinder Head Bolts, GM Intake Manifold Gasket Set, GM Exhaust Manifold Gaskets, GM EGR Gaskets, GM Valve Cover Gaskets, GM Vapor Vent Pipe Seals, GM EGR Seals"

You just need a new crank bolt (they can only be used one time), GM Front Cover Seal, GM Front Cover Gasket, ls2 timing chain. I would get a ported pump but that's just me. You might need valve cover gaskets but the intake manifold ones can be reused tons of times.

The graghite head gaskets CAN NOT be reused maybe if they are the MLS. The head bolts are torque to yeild bolts just like the crank bolt they won't thighten down properly if you reuse them because they have already been stretched.

You need everything in that kit except the intake and valve cover gaskets those are reusble.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont plan on taking the heads off, so Im not to worried about that, I was just going to get the gaskets and bolts for when I change the heads later on.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new plugs.... some time
Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

a case of beer dont forget

Quick Reply: What do I need to get before tackling my cam swap?