Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! 0 oil pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LANDONZ
one more idea, is it turning over? Check your alt. My alt went out while driving one day and I lost everything one at a time until my car just shut down, Just a idea. My warning gauges also starting coming on while i was driving

I had a friends alt go out and I remember these exact same symptoms too. I would check that alt asap.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LANDONZ
one more idea, is it turning over? Check your alt. My alt went out while driving one day and I lost everything one at a time until my car just shut down, Just a idea. My warning gauges also starting coming on while i was driving
the car turns over and sometimes starts but runs like **** and dies, and thn sometimes it will turn over but never start
Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

i can hear my fuel pump prime, chould a clogged, or ruined fuel filter cause it not to start, it almost sounds like its not getting gas...and as far as the temp goes it has alwalys run at tht temp
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Launching!

a while back i left my car in the garage for a couple of weeks and i went to go start it and it would either fire and run for like 2 or 3 seconds and shut off or not even start at all even if i revved it, it would go to 4 thousand rpms and with my foot on the floor it would run maybe 4 or 5 seconds and turn off, what i ended up doing is going through the fuse blocks under the hood and what it was, was some fuses mainly fuel pump and ingnition that had corroded a little and was making a bad connection it took me a while to find it cause sometimes the car would crank and run fine like one night i went to the store to get some cigs and when i came out the damn car wouldn't start and like 20 min later when the tow truck showed up i gave her one more chance to start before i had it towed and the damn thing fired on the first rotation and ran fine all the way home till the next time i tried to drive it. it was really weird sometimes it would start fine other times it would do exactly what your describing. sounds like your having a similar problem i would check and clean all the fuses and relays, after i cleaned mine the car has not done it since and it's been like 5 months. hope this helps i know i wanted to pull my hair out.

Last edited by strokerblackhawk; 07-07-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

lol im goin nuts....ill take a look at all my fuses
Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would change the fuel filter first. Its cheap and may be your problem. The alt may be bad though. My buddies alt, also went bad with similar symptoms. Change out that fuel filter a sap! Then go from there.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Before you go and change your fuel filter, check your fuel pressure. You can get a gauge from any parts store. Fuel pressure regulator maybe.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck on finding the problem. Let us know what solved the problem.

Bill
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you say you lost your power steering and them someone chimed in and said it sounds like it got hot then someone else said it sounds like the alternator. I know it is a long shot but do you still have a belt on that thing? If you lose the belt the alternator will not charge, water pump will not turn, and you will lose the power steering!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

editt
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99M6Z28
So you say you lost your power steering and them someone chimed in and said it sounds like it got hot then someone else said it sounds like the alternator. I know it is a long shot but do you still have a belt on that thing? If you lose the belt the alternator will not charge, water pump will not turn, and you will lose the power steering!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man 220ish seems way hot. I have a 98 Trans am and my temp gauge never goes over 180. It usally around 170 but when I sit in traffic its around 180. I also cant confirm that its working properly lol but id like to think so.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

the belts fine, the car turns over and will sometimes run for like 2 seconds, but its runs like complete **** 4 those 2 seconds, so i doubt its the alternator, the inline fuel pump is newer, and it primes whn u turn the keys to acces.., so i doubt its tht, whn i try starting the car and it cranks i c the oil pressure gauge move up to 40, as if it were trying to work, thn the car dies....so im running out of solutions the only lights tht come up on my dash r the change oil light, and the check gauges light
Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

sounds like your car went into limp mode...basically a self preservation mode that cuts the fuel to the engine and gives it just enough umph to get you to a safe spot without doing perminent damage to your car.

it cant be cooling, if that were the case then your car would start up after you let it sit for awile and the car wont go into limp mode till about 280 deg. i believe.

if the alternater went out you would still have power coming straight off the battery so i doubt you would have had the instant problems you had on the highway. also, check your voltage gauge, if that is fine then obviously the altenator is doing its job.

my opinion is that there is something fishy about the oil...or a fuse. check your fuses....then if you can change your oil and look for debrie (sp) in the oil. if you find metal you're in for a headache. if all looks well then after you change the oil give it a try agian....

also check yoru coolant for oil in it, or vise versa. that would indicate a blown head gasket...although i havnt heard of a car going into limp mode over that.

also what 99m6z28 said...you sure you got a belt on the thing?

also you're waterpump could have gone out...mine went out and ate through belts like no other! you sould be able to hand turn all your pulleys. if you cant on any of them try turning them by pulling the belt...if you cant one of the pullys siezed up and you need to change it.

hope that helps! =]

edit: make sure you're in N when you turn the pulleys and make sure the battery is charged up.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quadd2244
Man 220ish seems way hot. I have a 98 Trans am and my temp gauge never goes over 180. It usally around 170 but when I sit in traffic its around 180. I also cant confirm that its working properly lol but id like to think so.
99+ temp gauges almost alwalys read higher, and its been at tht temp forever so i doubt it chould have overheated, fans have nvr been on to show signs of overheating
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have gas in the car?

Seriously, if it's sputtering, it could be a number of problems related with the fuel system. Hell, it could be a huge vacuum leak.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rushin

Seriously, if it's sputtering, it could be a number of problems related with the fuel system. Hell, it could be a huge vacuum leak.
i was on way way to meet up with some other cars and had just filled up whn it happened so i have plenty of gas
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

lol sounds pretty similar to being out of gas
Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rushin

emphasis on huge
Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 406malibu
emphasis on huge
i have plenty of gas, dont u think tht whould have been the first thing i checked?