New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008 | 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

one thing a lot of people are overlooking, you said in your first post the car is otherwise stock? i would highly recommend at the very minimum a lid, longtube headers, and full exhaust before i would even consider dropping the coin on a cam. and if the car is an auto, you are also going to need a larger stall to make the car driveable, especially with the larger cams. if i were you, after doing all the bolt ons, i would have patrick g or predator z (both sponsors/mods on here) spec you a custom cam to fit your needs, i have seen very impressive results out of their specs
Old 07-27-2008 | 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

a cheaterR cam from thunderracing you can use everything stock, it would have a VERY SMALL lope to it, almost wont hear it depending if the idle is raised alittle. you can use the stock stall stock exhaust stock everything. depending on if his goals are to be sleeperish or not that cam would work... but he already decided on what cam to run. another sleeper cam is the gt2-3 from linginfelter..... just throwing out a few cam's that would be an improvment over stock.
Old 07-27-2008 | 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put in an MS3 with heads and it runs fine. It does surge when I stop, but I'm also a M6 with 4.10s which helps. No hiccupping at low RPMs either, still untuned by the way. My MS3 is on a 114 which really helps the idle out, but no problems so far. Don't be scared to go big, although it all depends what your looking for. If it's going to be going from a dig alot, then get the medium sized cam. If majority from a roll is where the MS3/MS4 is going to prove itself on the street.
Old 07-28-2008 | 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure about the ASA cam but the TSP cams are ground by Comp and have a slightly smaller base circle so you need a slightly longer pushrod since your heads are unmilled. IIRC I am running 7.450 with my unmilled heads.

EDIT: Might be 7.25 but i can't find my receipt. I will post back when I do.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 07-28-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2008 | 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

7.4 pushrod dumdumdum