Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the best lid and some prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which is the best lid and some prices

I have a 2000 Trans Am... I am going to buy a lid soon, I was woundering what was the best. Like which one flows the best. A friend has a SLP on his 2000 SS and he likes it. I have heard that Direct Flo is good. so is TSP. So which one is the BEST bang for the buck?? LS1 Motorsports Direct Flo, SLP, MTI, Whisper, TSP, etc.
also, when you do the FRA mod on a Trans Am (non WS6) what do you use to close that 1" gap in the from of the air box? and is it best to remove that AIR line from the lid cap that, and install a breather on the hose? These are really my only important questions...
Old 08-26-2003, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best lid and some prices

I have a TSP lid and like it pretty well. However, I haven't tried any others so I can't say if it's better. For the most part, they all flow relatively equally. There was a post recently showing the TSP gained 6HP over the Blackwing lid, so there's some difference in the lids, but nothing huge. I think the MTI & SLP lids are probably the cheapest (that is if you get it in black). Didn't do the FRA mod myself since it makes your filter filthy real quick, so I don't know what guys are doing about the gap. And a breather filter is used on the hose when installing most of the aftermarket lids. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Teching In

The FRA mod really works well and about the filter getting dirty give me a call about the Donaldson Blackwing Panel filter that we sell, it fits like oe no additional gaskets and is is synthetic so it will flow like new no matter how many times it's cleaned.Click on our ad UP Front Technologies to get into our website.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Teching In

a majority of the time people just leave the fra gap there but from what ive heard and diving some of my friends car and helping them install the lids the tsp is the best you can look at the profiles and the contours and tell that for yourself

good luck hope that helped
Old 08-26-2003, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

All lids are pretty much the same. Even if one brand might claim to "flow better", the truth is that doing a lid swap has a horsepower gain limit. Once that limit is acheived, a better flowing airbox lid isn't going to pick up any power. The lid isn't going to be the bottleneck at this point. On average, lids are 12-15 rwhp mods. Every car is different and will react to them differently (slightly).

Pick up one that you like the looks of, and is priced right for you.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally id buy an fipk and a dremel and cut a hole in the shround to allow the filter to suck cool air up from tha bottom. i got 24 RWHP from tha fipk and GMAF sensor just my .02 cents
Old 08-26-2003, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

thanks, LAST ONE... you say that the FRA works really well, did you block the gap at the bottom, if so with what??? also, last question... can I order a lid for a 98-99 w/o the AIR hole in it and just cut the AIR line back and install a breather??? Please help
thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 03:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went with slp blem, for 50 bucks less then the other ones and basically the same build. And nobody i know has been able to see the "blem" figure that 50 bucks could go to something else

lata
Bill
Old 08-26-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, I was looking at the blem lids today... how do I get rid of the AIR line... I think I cap the hole in the lid (if so, with what???) and install a breather filter in the AIR line.. right???
anyone have a Direct Flo or TSP lid for cheap...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nine Ball is right on this one.That's why i decided to go with the SLP Lid,it was on sale and took only minutes to install and the factory hoses and such plugged right in,didn't need a filter breather.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have the clear TSP lid on my WS6... looks great! I bought it when they had $20 off price. LS1 motorsports has their lid for like $89 I believe. Go for the one you like the looks of.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks all... from all the post on many different boards, the Whisper Lid... people do not like it. they prefer Direct Flo, MTI, or TSP
thanks... I may go with the SLP blem lid, unless I can find one of the above for a good price.