Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iat resistor trick

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iat resistor trick

k well i know theres lots of people that dont believe this works and im sure it doesnt for most people but it did more mine,i really did feel a big difference abd as soon as i put it in , my car had a different tone somewhat deeper so i knew it did something, i bought one about a year ago from ebay but had work done to my car so i misplaced it, read about it and went to radioshack and bought 4.7k along with some others but none looked like the one i had, the original was smaller, also i read somewhere the slp ones were rated at 8.1k but they dont have any 8k resistors at radioshack, any ideas where i could get some of these? also i read somewhere the certain ohms are for lean and some are for richer cars, dont know how much this is true, thanks in advance

Last edited by rgvouter; 08-18-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 08-18-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

WWW.installuniversity.com
Old 08-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Teching In

A 47k resistor wired in parallel with a 10k will come out to 8.2k. Those two (10 and 47k should definatly be available at RadioShack.

Another option could be a potentiometer (variable resistor).
Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Its all in your head..

Its all in your head man.... This has been beat to death, many cars actually lost power doing this and the few that gained anything it was a few hp which on a car of 300hp you aren't going to feel...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1...takes about 25-30rwhp to actually notice it IMO
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies, maybe you're right.. i cant rem where i read that depending on the rating 1-10 k it either leans or makes it a bit more ritch... not sure how true that is, maybe my car was running real rich and it just evened out abit and thats what i felt not sure
Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to agree with the other guys and say that it was all in your head. There are way to many veriables to this. The IAT sensor doesn't just effect fueling, it also effects timming. Lets say you needed to lean the car out some and you made the computer think the IAT was much higher than it actually is. That should lean the car out some but it could also make the PCM pull timming.

For the most part the guys talking about doing this have no idea if the car was running rich or lean to begin with and they also have no idea if the resistor they added made it richer or leaner. The possibility of hurting performance is much greater than the possibility of increasing it.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rgvouter
k well i know theres lots of people that dont believe this works and im sure it doesnt for most people but it did more mine,i really did feel a big difference abd as soon as i put it in , my car had a different tone somewhat deeper so i knew it did something, i bought one about a year ago from ebay but had work done to my car so i misplaced it, read about it and went to radioshack and bought 4.7k along with some others but none looked like the one i had, the original was smaller, also i read somewhere the slp ones were rated at 8.1k but they dont have any 8k resistors at radioshack, any ideas where i could get some of these? also i read somewhere the certain ohms are for lean and some are for richer cars, dont know how much this is true, thanks in advance
All in your head bro.....all this mod does is make the pcm think that its taking in cold air and dump more fuel. Any gain is minimal and with the way gas prices are im not sure this would be a worth while mod ever. JMO
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick to real mods. You'll be better off.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Stick to real mods. You'll be better off.

like he said, do not believe in miracle free/cheap mods like this one. When you start messing with the pcm by "fooling" it, you can really hurt the car in MANY cases. Dyno tune the car by a reputable tuner and you will get the results you can really use, see, and feel.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like a pain in the **** sir

Quick Reply: Iat resistor trick