New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ls1 owner.. not sure where to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take out your air pump, get a lid, put on some 304 stainless headers with matchign off road y no cats, into whatever catback you want. Def. do a suspension upgrade, electric water pump. That stuff can be changed easily back to stock and you'll have a bunch of money left over. Doing the head/cam shtuff, rear end, that can't be changed easily and is expensive. Most of these guys are just talking about max power out of a little money but origionally you said you want it to go back to stock. That is about the most you can do. Also port your stock tb don't do aftermarket or there will be problems. Also make sure your heads are 241 which I think they should be, if they are you should be @ 380-400ish hp. Also get some msd 8.5 wires and the NGK 55 plugs, and then get a tune. You'll have alot of additional performace and can all be changed back to stock in a day.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

9in or 12bolt - 2200
clutch - 600
lowering springs - 200
lower control arms - 80
pan hard bar - 80
torque arm - 150
relocation brackets - 60

cam package - 600
lid/pp tb- 100
headers catback - 1000

damn. if i had 5k id be one of the happiest people in the world, for about an hr til it was all gone
Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

well the car only has 11k so he doesn't need a clutch
Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

headers and a cutout 100-150 wet/dry shot..pro 5.0 shifter and some sticky tires...this car will be very fast and still be very streetable...you really would enjoy nitrous,and its amazing the kind of times you can pull at the track with spray and tires..
Old 08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Start off with a lid and swap the catback to a better one. Those won't bring down the value of the car. Get used to the way the car behaves.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Before you go off adding more power I would get the car to behave properly first. Im talking about more stability at speeds, more overall feel, control and a better ride. Getting rid of the snap oversteer, twitchy understeer and skipping rear end. All this with only one simple mod, koni SA's. Many agree, single best mod you can do to these cars.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

If you want to be able to go back to stock without having to spend more $$$, don't do heads/cam, rear-end, NO2, or anthing internal (obviously). A lot of people are not reading your original post I guess.

You have the WS6 w/ the ram air. The lid will make the air flow into your engine flow better and less restricted, that's all. No negatives there. Not expense and very, very easy for you to do at home. Also, not sure how headers effect the resale value (if that is what your afraid of), but they are great for airflow as well.

If you are stock, which is what I take it you are. I would start with the lid and a catback. Possibly get a street tune, or splurge on a dyno tune. Manufacturers always put the cars on the market tuned down. A tune will result in more mpg and more horsepower, typically. Always good.

Suspension is also a good mod for what you are talking about. Koni's are very expensive, but are head and heels above the other options. I suggest the Koni/Strano combination with an adjustable pan-hard bar. This will drop the car to a desired height. Not too low and not high like stock. I love mine. Plus car will handle 100x's better.

Plenty of options out there if you don't care about resale, but I would start out like this. This gives you the beginning steps for when/if you want to go with more.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First of all, kiss your parents then look in the mirror and say "I am a lucky teenager, I must never let my family down".

Use the search function and look up "Free Mods". If you decide to do these that would be a good start.

Next, research parts and mods here on the site. I would have wasted a lot of money on senseless mods (aftermarket MAF, etc) if I didn't read and learn.

Then set aside a monthly budget, and make a list of parts that you will purchase and their price when new.

Lurk on Ebay, LS1tech classifieds, and Craigslist for deals on used and new-in-box parts.

Get on the regional Texas forum on this site and make some LS1 savy friends. Offer up your help and manpower in exchange for some of their help.

Stick to your budget and you should have a nice running and sounding car within a year.

Enjoy, and congrats on having a kickass family!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say get headers with a full exhaust, then slap on a lid, and see how much better you feel about the car.

once that was done, i would get the strano/koni suspension package, and some nice wheels, preferably 17x9.5 in the front and 17x11 in the rear, and finish it off with a short throw shifter

you would be amazed at how much more power you would be making with the exhaust/lid, along with the supporting mods to put the power do the ground and keep it straight.

even if you have 400hp, if you dont have the proper supporting mods, you will go nowhere fast.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

11,000 miles on it? Don't touch anything..and park it in the garage. lol
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

11,000 miles on it? Don't touch anything..and park it in the garage. lol
you realize you're telling a 17 yrold that?!?! Will be worth a pretty penny in a few but he just got his license he's probably going to rape it for the next year unless he wrecks..be careful kid
Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is retarded to keep in the garage...why buy a car and not drive...whos gives a **** if it will be worth a little money some day..enjoy the car dont ever store it...its not gonna be worth a great deal anyways...
Old 08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=dankl;9956471]If you want to be able to go back to stock without having to spend more $$$, don't do heads/cam, rear-end, NO2, or anthing internal (obviously). A lot of people are not reading your original post I guess.[QUOTE]

nitous is not internal so i guess you dont know what your talking about..also a rear end can be switched back out too...
Old 08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=johnLs1camaro;9958363][QUOTE=dankl;9956471]If you want to be able to go back to stock without having to spend more $$$, don't do heads/cam, rear-end, NO2, or anthing internal (obviously). A lot of people are not reading your original post I guess.

nitous is not internal so i guess you dont know what your talking about..also a rear end can be switched back out too...
^^^Wow, you really are stupid aren't you?

First off, why post if your not going to offer any advice?

Second, when you master the English language, you'll learn about commas. They are breaks in a sentence and are also used to list. If you read what I wrote correctly, without trying to bash everyone for no apparent reason, you can clearly see that I am simply saying stay away from these things if you want to easily go back to stock.

I guess I also think the rear-end is internal.

And nearly anything done to the car can be reversed, obviously. My point with the rear-end was it is not going to be cheap to go back to 10-bolt. Not sure why anyone ever would, but I am answering the OP's question.

Don't be an internet douchbag and bash behind your computer. Big Man, eh?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the lesson in english ***!!!! i guess college didnt teach me anything damn....
1- look at my post i offered advice about getting nitrous so STFU
2-if you could read you would notice i didnt have the internal and rearend in the same sentence
3- your the one trying to be big and bad,im just prooving you wrong!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Koastie57
Houston, Texas
call G-Force or LMR. Tell them you have 5 grand and you wanna go fast and they will set you right up with a nice little package + tune!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

The first mod should be RESPECT. Respect for the car and respect for others around you. I know how easy it is for somebody your age to get pumped and do something stupid out on the road. All I am saying is dont street race and dont do something stupid or you or somebody else could get killed or seriously hurt. Im not saying you should drive like granny. Grabbing second once in a while is fun.........

Anyway with that out of the way

First mod would be a LID and cags eliminator
Second a better flowing catback
Third some long tube headers and an ORY pipe
Fourth some 4.10 gears
Fifth you need a dyno tune after all of these previous mods are completed

Be careful, stay safe and enjoy your sweet ride!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
thanks for the lesson in english ***!!!! i guess college didnt teach me anything damn....
1- look at my post i offered advice about getting nitrous so STFU
2-if you could read you would notice i didnt have the internal and rearend in the same sentence
3- your the one trying to be big and bad,im just prooving you wrong!!!!
Your just too smart. My bad. Whoa, college. Impressive. And which community college would that be? Instead of bashing, try helping people. Your the one who started with the ****-talking, remember? Either way, I'm done.

Now let's all have a beer and chill...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

you started it with, " If you want to be able to go back to stock without having to spend more $$$, don't do heads/cam, rear-end, NO2, or anthing internal (obviously). A lot of people are not reading your original post I guess".

so i did make my comment,but i wasnt tryin to start a fight, i was jj with the middle fingers. sorry if i pissed you off...i was helping him out, and gave him info that i felt n2o was something he should look at going for. sorry for how this turned out didnt mean for it to be like this, i was just having some fun, also i goto UofL.. i agree lets all chill,and im sorry i messed up the thread a little bit..
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks John. I hate these internet bashings. I was just suprised to see the finger guy. Thought it was cool, but aimed at me made me mad. Damn nicoderm patch ain't cuttin' it for this quitting ****. My bad!

I wasn't trying to say those were all internal. I just didn't want to list out all the different internal things to avoid, so I just wrote "anything internal".

Didn't mean anything by the community college thing. Please accept my apology. Us LS1 guys gotta stick together.

Very nice ride by the way. How you like the nitrous? I've been debating it for a few months now.