Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ls1 owner.. not sure where to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ls1 owner.. not sure where to start

Ok so I recently got a 01' Pontiac Trans Am WS6 this may for my birthday.

As of now its stock besides some flowmaster exhaust... but its only got 11,000 miles on it.

So anyways, I was looking to get some more Horsepower in this bad boy, and I want to start with some mod's that can be reversed. Why? Because i heard your car value goes down if you do a whole lot of permanent mods to TA's now days.. im only 17 so i'm by no means a know it all.. but any suggestions? My buddy owns a firebird and he told me headers is what i should go for first.

Just looking for some pointers and suggestions thanks ahead
Old 08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would ditch the flowmaster and get a better flowing catback. The flowmaster does sound good but is one of the worst flowing cat backs for the f body. Header's and a y pipe is well worth the money. You could also do a air lid and some kind of ram air. Also check out the sticky's in the gen 3 external engine section.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

My first suggestion would be to sell that cherry to me and buy a Zo6. Best mods would be headers, intake, and tune. Gosh, do you know how lucky you are to be given that kind of car...take care of it and be careful they will bite in a hurry
Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Your '01 comes with the LS6 intake manifold, as opposed to the LS1 on the earlier models, so that is good. Headers and either a high performance catted Y-pipe, or an off-road Y-pipe (no catalytic converters) are a good start. This will really open it up and it'll sound nasty compared to the stock exhaust manifolds. I would start there. Don't forget to get a good dyno tune afterwards or you'll be running rich I believe.

You could also port and polish your throttle body to get more air through. Oh, and some sort of lid/air intake is a necessary "first step" in the right direction.

How much $$$ are you looking to invest?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Ya everybody tells me its a jewel, it was garaged kept and i had it shipped from florida. But Zo6's are out of my pricerange i believe.. plus at 17 insurance would eat my *** alive...

When you say air lid or w/e isn't that what my Ram Air hood is? I thought that part was covered by the WS6 package or we talking something different?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dankl
Your '01 comes with the LS6 intake manifold, as opposed to the LS1 on the earlier models, so that is good. Headers and either a high performance catted Y-pipe, or an off-road Y-pipe (no catalytic converters) are a good start. This will really open it up and it'll sound nasty compared to the stock exhaust manifolds. I would start there. Don't forget to get a good dyno tune afterwards or you'll be running rich I believe.

You could also port and polish your throttle body to get more air through. Oh, and some sort of lid/air intake is a necessary "first step" in the right direction.

How much $$$ are you looking to invest?
I have about $5,000 right now to use but not ready to make a move until i know exactly where I'm going.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Supercharger and be done with it!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For 5k I would do a full exhaust headers to cat back. Heads and a cam, with a good dyno tune. You'll be making 425rwhp(+-) and still have some $$ left over.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might help if we knew what trans is in it
Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Launching!

its a 6 speed manual transmission
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Please take my advise and don't touch or port your throttle body.

Here is what you should do in order:

1. Remove/Turn off your ICAGS (computer assisted gear selection). This is what blocks your 2nd or 3rd gear when you are just cruising slowly through an intersection or straight.
2. Get a LID! This will make a difference in sound and performance.
3. Exhaust...You have many options here depending on your budget. Go listen to http://ls1sounds.com/ to get an idea of what you want. Since I was broke when I had my LS1, I opted for the Electric cutout! This was great b/c it allows you to be quite and loud when you want. Now, it doesn't sound as good as a GMMG or Borla but hey..
4. Now here is where people tend to go in different directions. Suspension, Appearance, Engine, Audio, etc. I would lower her 1.5" and slap some nice tires/rims on there, toss on a short stick and be done!

Just a word of caution... I know what its like to be 17 and want to have a good time getting wild behind the wheel. There is so much I could say here but I will just leave it at this...

Don't do anything you will end up regretting. It's very easy to go from fun to dumb in a split second with 350hp. There really is no reason to show off. I can't tell you how many people I know who thought they were being cool by showing off ...only to have wrecked their car or broke something which makes them look like a total moron. You've got the car ..you're already cool no need to push it. End rant.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Please take my advise and don't touch or port your throttle body.

Here is what you should do in order:

1. Remove/Turn off your ICAGS (computer assisted gear selection). This is what blocks your 2nd or 3rd gear when you are just cruising slowly through an intersection or straight.
2. Get a LID! This will make a difference in sound and performance.
3. Exhaust...You have many options here depending on your budget. Go listen to http://ls1sounds.com/ to get an idea of what you want. Since I was broke when I had my LS1, I opted for the Electric cutout! This was great b/c it allows you to be quite and loud when you want. Now, it doesn't sound as good as a GMMG or Borla but hey..
4. Now here is where people tend to go in different directions. Suspension, Appearance, Engine, Audio, etc. I would lower her 1.5" and slap some nice tires/rims on there, toss on a short stick and be done!

Just a word of caution... I know what its like to be 17 and want to have a good time getting wild behind the wheel. There is so much I could say here but I will just leave it at this...

Don't do anything you will end up regretting. It's very easy to go from fun to dumb in a split second with 350hp. There really is no reason to show off. I can't tell you how many people I know who thought they were being cool by showing off ...only to have wrecked their car or broke something which makes them look like a total moron. You've got the car ..you're already cool no need to push it. End rant.
Couldnt agree more!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Launching!

so how exactly do i turn that ICAGS thing off? its been bugging the hell out of me?

By the way just curious but what exactly is the point of it? obviously to pick gears for you but what is the benefit of it?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

If I had 5 grand I would be the happiest person alive. lol

Alright here is what I would do:
Lid
K&N filter
Headers and off road y-pipe
Magnaflow cat back exhaust
Texas speed camshaft package
LS2 timing chain
Ported LS6 oil pump
TUNE!!!!!!
WS6store short stick
Stronger Clutch, whatever brand you want
Sticky *** tires
That puts you right at about $3200.

You'll have a car that puts out right around 400whp and still be reliable.
Whatever you have left put it aside and start saving for a ford 9".
Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with what most are saying can't go wrong with headers and a lid. Some gears would help. nos kit you can always take up easy
Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Okay so an SLP lid, just gives more air flow over the stock lid, correct?

Also is there anything that the SLP lid causes negatively in the long run?

Also how much do they run for so i know what i'm looking at?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html
Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

get a 12 or 9 with 3.90 gears
Old 08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Where are you located?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Houston, Texas