Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is a brain buster for those electronic wizzes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Here is a brain buster for those electronic wizzes

Alright. so i have a 00 ss, bought it about 4 months ago now.

the guy before me that had it was a firefighter he installed cop lights on the head,tail lights with a switch. and added some blinkers in the headlights. so when i flip a switch on the side of the console the lights blink like a cop.

thats fine with me, dont care because i never use it unless i like to **** with people. but im having an issue.

for a few weeks now my tail lights have not been coming on when i throw it in reverse. now the weird thing is that they work only when i have the cop switch on and they blink then. but with it off nothing happens, even in reverse.

not only that but, randomly when im driving my security light will come on, and then go away.

im guessing that these two things are linked to each other somehow.

im going to check fuses, and most likely disengage those blinker lights since i never use them to see if that fixes the issue. anything else i should look for? anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow the "cop light" wires and see how factory wires he jacked up
Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

If by "blink like a cop" you mean that the lights 'strobe' or blink on and off several times a second, then your blinker relay has probably been replaced with one for a police vehicle. You should just put a stock relay back in. BTW, there are laws in most states that regulate how often lights may flash per second and the color and mounting of them. So you may get yourself in trouble if you use those strobes.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trace all the added crap, it is most likely messing something up somewhere.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ghardester
If by "blink like a cop" you mean that the lights 'strobe' or blink on and off several times a second, then your blinker relay has probably been replaced with one for a police vehicle. You should just put a stock relay back in. BTW, there are laws in most states that regulate how often lights may flash per second and the color and mounting of them. So you may get yourself in trouble if you use those strobes.
o i dont use them on the street. just at my house to joke around. he fucked up the headlights and there is cut and shred debree in the headlights from the install. that is the only thing wrong with this car. im most likely just going to rip all that **** out and buy some headlights.

you guys think this has anything to do with the random security light too? they both started at about hte same time.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Launching!

i would just rip all that **** out and solder and heatshrink the harness back to stock..
Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

yeah thats the plan. im going to show you guys some pictures just to show you what im talking about

There are a bunch of BOSCH switches all over the place. its going to take a while to find out what exactly i need to get rid of.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Sounds like there is a rear flasher module hooked to your tail/brake/back up light circuits. They do go bad and will cause the lighting problems. Need to find it and remove it. Don't know how it would effect the security system, unless it was feeding back because of a bad ground.