New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faster with traction controll on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Faster with traction controll on or off?

Just wonderin' whether better times are posted with traction control on or off in the Ls1 A4s? Also, why do I hear sometimes that the "A4s are quicker" and then sometimes that the "A4s are SLOWER". Which one is it? Because they are not really equal if you have to add a stall to make one compete with the other.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

a4's are quicker on the track and light to light depending on driver, because when you add a higher stall tc they launch so much quicker. the inconsistency of a 6spd especially with a new or inexperienced driver can be a real et killer. get on the hwy and m6 will usually pull an a4 mod for mod.

and traction control on these cars is for rain, not for racing. turing it off will net you better times for sure.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
a4's are quicker on the track and light to light depending on driver, because when you add a higher stall tc they launch so much quicker. the inconsistency of a 6spd especially with a new or inexperienced driver can be a real et killer. get on the hwy and m6 will usually pull an a4 mod for mod.

and traction control on these cars is for rain, not for racing. turing it off will net you better times for sure.
dont race with u tc on lol
Old 08-26-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS184
Lol! Yeah, I guess it sounds kinda dumb now. I hear stuff that surpises me everyday and I've never had an auto v-8 before. Last was an M6 i'm a little uninformed when it comes to the autos lol. Thanks though
Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it depends....

If you turn it off and just sit there spinning the tires, then yeah, you'll be "faster" with it on.

But, if you can keep the wheelspin to a minimum, it'll be "faster" with it off.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 PM

I personally think it is slower. when i dont ahve it on my tires will spin a bit when i change gears but when its on and they spin it kicks my foot back which will deffinatly make you slower..
Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

If you hook, it doesn't matter. Traction control will only interefere if the rear tires are turning at a different (higher) speed then the fronts. With great track prep I can stall my car and floor it, yet TC will do nothing if left on.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS184
I made a huge mistake with this once... I was puttine down around 12.5s and one pass I came out with 13.9... I realized that I forgot to turn the ASR off after starting my car up (I was shutting off the engine while waitingin line for the next race).

So +1 to shutting it off!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jscotty
I made a huge mistake with this once... I was puttine down around 12.5s and one pass I came out with 13.9... I realized that I forgot to turn the ASR off after starting my car up (I was shutting off the engine while waitingin line for the next race).

Wow! That's a huge difference. So it's not much good unless in the rain I guess!?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 12secSS
If you hook, it doesn't matter. Traction control will only interefere if the rear tires are turning at a different (higher) speed then the fronts. With great track prep I can stall my car and floor it, yet TC will do nothing if left on.
The voice of reason here....
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Just wonderin' whether better times are posted with traction control on or off in the Ls1 A4s? Also, why do I hear sometimes that the "A4s are quicker" and then sometimes that the "A4s are SLOWER". Which one is it? Because they are not really equal if you have to add a stall to make one compete with the other.
An A4 can be quicker and slower at the same time because of a better e/t and worse MPH than an M6.

I always turn TCS off. By the time it kicks you off the gas pedal and you reengage, you've thrown away the run
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

The term 'Traction Control ' is misleading. It removes control from poor dirvers. The only purpose for TCS is to keep an inexperienced driver from wrecking the car in poor traction conditions like rain, ice, etc.

It is not an aid to helping drive faster or launch faster. It's just like a seat belt or air bag, or maybe driving school.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

lol well i bet u havent let that happen a second time
Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ghardester
The term 'Traction Control ' is misleading. It removes control from poor dirvers. The only purpose for TCS is to keep an inexperienced driver from wrecking the car in poor traction conditions like rain, ice, etc.

It is not an aid to helping drive faster or launch faster. It's just like a seat belt or air bag, or maybe driving school.
This is very true! I was once on an off-camber onramp and the streets were wet with light rain. I took off normally, and when I took the left turn into the onramp I noticed I needed to turn the steering wheel to the right. I knew I was sliding like a drifter into the onramp and wondered why traction control didn't interefere. My front tires were going the same speed as my rears, so it saw no issue. It didn't matter as I controlled the slide and straightened the car out (like I meant to do that ) and went on my way.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

so now i have a ?, how do you turn your traction control off?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1NyteMare
so now i have a ?, how do you turn your traction control off?
The button above your radio... 'ASR'... push it.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

The button above your radio... 'ASR'... push it.
Or the button below the radio that says TCS.

Or I guess if you don't have a button anywhere that says ASR or TCS then you probably don't have traction control to turn off.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

it was a factory option so not all cars have it.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

last time i watched a ls car launch with tc on it was a manual leaving at 4k it bucked so bad it actually chunked a piston and cracked the block maybe not the root cause but probably scary enough for me to not want to do it
Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

A good driver is always faster with the traction control off. But if it keeps you from slamming into a wall (like on a hard 1'st to 2'nd shift), then maybe leaving it on is a good idea. Generally when if activates it doesn't give you control back quick enough. Bad for racing, good for driving on the street.

Quick Reply: Faster with traction controll on or off?