New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making Horsepower, While Maintaining Emmision Legality???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Making Horsepower, While Maintaining Emmision Legality???

I kinda want to plan the future of my car. So far I have the mods that are listed. My car seems to do pretty well on the RWHP front, it made 321 rwhp with just the flows and a K&N filter, strange huh? Anywho, the next mod I need to do are SFC's, which will be ordered in a few days.

While being emmisions legal, what mods should I do to make the most power? I was thinking of something along the lines of getting every bolt-on. I was also thinking heads/cam but the cam would almost for sure fail emmisions, and heads are nearly a waste without a cam. I'm not sure how just heads will do with emmisions either.

Can anyone help me out here, suggest some mods to do, and in what order to do them, while without a doubt maintaining emmision legality. Forget about appearence, it looks decent for now, wheels will come in a few months. Suspension mods will happen, when needed.

Some other things to think about. Nitrous is not an option, neither is a super or turbo charger. I plan to stick with the flows, but just add a cutout later. LT or mid-length header are also not an option. I have the gauge pillar because my friend's dad was going to get me a very good deal on a S/C, like 90% off, but just told me that it would not be possible

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I mind you I do not have a job, yet, but will soon, earning $70-$100 a week.

THANKS!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Making Horsepower, While Maintaining Emmision Legality???

Why don't u want headers?? As long as you keep the cats there is a lot of headers that are CARB approved.
On the other hand there are always Shorties (JBA), (HOOKER). With HIFLO cats and a YPIP, you'll be able to pick up 15rwhps maybe a couple more.
As for your Cam comment "A Cam will not pass emmissions". That is untrue if you stay 220/220 and below with a high LSA (115/116/117).
A H/C combo will run u well into the 2000-2500 $$$ range.Maybe you could get a deal on used heads) Check the parts for sale forum.
As for emissions and heads, it will be better because better flowing heads have a better efficient burn and less emmisions.
For cam suggestion is a 02 LS6 cam (Z06) they pass emmissions.

In all with the amount of money u make I'd go headers first, HIFLO cats, then cam.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

In California, if you move the cats AT ALL, it is illegal. So I can only get shorty headers which aren't really power makers. But BBK makes 1-3/4" shorties which might do well.

What head package would you suggest? I was thinking TEA S2 with a LS6 cam, or maybe a TR cam. Suggestions?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:05 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just ask around for a shop that works with guys with modified cars. thats what i plan to do. i just put my LT's on this weekend. the cam is going in the first week of oct. TR230. with a dyno tune im sure it'll pass the sniffer, just wont pass the visual unless they can over look that.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've asked around and havent found any shops that will do that for me, most are scared of losing their license. Plus they are going to start checking the sound level to make sure it's not over 90 decibels, so LT headers are out again
Old 09-04-2003, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in CA, down the road from you in Sacramento, and Im not too worried about the emissions thing.

I just bought my F-body a couple weeks ago and have decided that I was gonna mod it anyways. Over the last few days Ive found out that a few of my LS1 friends can swap headers and a cam in less then a day. In CA the only way youll get busted for emissions is if you either A) Dont pass when asked to smog for bi-annual registration or B) For some god awfull reason you get snagged at one of those roadside smog checks, which I dont think they do in Auburn anyways. If that happens youll just have to take the stuff off and return to a smog shop within a certain time limit. They tend to pick out older cars that are known gross poluters.. our cars arent. Also.. if you get popped for the +90db exhaust all you have to do is fix the problem and have it signed off at a local court house or police station, and pay $10.

Just get the headers you want and get with me about installation.. I have several friends that will do it for a LOT less then any shop around here will. If you get popped for the sound we'll just swap the stock stuff back on within a day, you usually get a few weeks to get a fix it ticket signed off so dont worry.

As far as the cam.. I just bought a ZO6 cam and I may use that one. Now that I know a cam swap is only less then a days work I may go with a different cam. Ill let you know if I sell this one and I have someone thatll install it for you too.