New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else am i missing>?? **pic**

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008 | 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Question What else am i missing>?? **pic**

Alright, my long tube headers just came in.... I've scheduled an appointment with my friend to have them installed. Is there something that i need to purchase to finish the install ? I'm pretty concerned... I don't want spark plugs, the car barely has 30k on it..

I have the stock Y-pipe.. is that ok ? I will have a shop fab one up for me a few days after the Headers install. I live in New York, do i need to buy anything for 02? This is what it came with:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-31-2008 | 02:25 PM
Teching In

You'll need O2 extensions as the stock O2 bungs are further upstream than the bungs on the LT's. Your stock Y-pipe will not bolt up to these so you'll have to run open headers until you get the new one made. I'd also recommend new GM gaskets or reusing the stock ones if those supplied with the headers are paper.
Old 08-31-2008 | 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

THANK YOU! Is it safe to run open headers? These gaskets don't seem like they're paper, but they bend REAL easily. 02 extensions huh... does quality matter with these? Or can i just pick up a set on ebay.

Another questions. Will i be ok without 02 extensions for a few days? Being that i'll be buying them off ebay.. but want the headers installed today. Thanks a bunch for the info SleeperD!
Old 08-31-2008 | 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by efeXteam
Will i be ok without 02 extensions for a few days?
No, you need O2 extensions to connect the front O2's.
If you never plan on using the rear O2's again you can cut the female end off the wiring harness for the rears (again, if they're never going to be used), cut the male end off the old rear O2's and splice the two together for free extensions.

Why do you mention you're in NY? are you asking about emissions? You need to find out if you need a catted Y or non catted.
Old 08-31-2008 | 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm... i dont' know what the rear o2's can possibly be used for, but i'll just buy a set for about 50 on ebay. Will not having these extensions or an aftermarket y-pipe stop me from installing the headers?

I mention NY due to emissions. I know i need a catted Y. But again, i'm hoping some shop can just add those on after headers are iin.. or am i wrong?
Old 08-31-2008 | 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

i wouldnt recommend running open headers for longer than the drive to the exhaust shop because they will destroy o2's pretty quick.
Old 08-31-2008 | 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by efeXteam
Hmm... i dont' know what the rear o2's can possibly be used for, but i'll just buy a set for about 50 on ebay. Will not having these extensions or an aftermarket y-pipe stop me from installing the headers?

I mention NY due to emissions. I know i need a catted Y. But again, i'm hoping some shop can just add those on after headers are iin.. or am i wrong?
Well forget everything I said then. You're going to need extensions for the front, and you're going to have to use the rear O2's since you have to keep emissions.
You only need a pair of extensions, only because the front O2's on LT headers are mounted further back and the stock wires are too short.

If anyone suggests the vette O2's 13111, do not get these. They only have a longer wire, they don't run hotter.
Use only OEM O2's for your car, and good extensions.

Will not having these extensions or an aftermarket y-pipe stop me from installing the headers?
No, you just can't run it. The O2 wires are too short. Can't run with no front O2's

i'm hoping some shop can just add those on after headers are iin.. or am i wrong?
You might be wrong, I've been run out of exhaust shops for not having cats on a car. No cats, some shops will not touch the exhaust.
I would just buy a catted Y, bolt it up and be done with it.
Old 08-31-2008 | 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Great... so a shop can only fab me a Y-pipe... but not a catted one? This catt business is a bit confusing for me. My options are either buying a catted Y online here, or having a shop make a Y pipe WITH cats?

So all i need are extensions.... woo, this is annoying! lol
Old 08-31-2008 | 04:44 PM
Banned

Cats are the law, if a shop takes them off or even puts the wrong ones on they can be fined big time. I live in a state that doesn't even have an inspection, and I have 3 vehicles with no cats, I can't even get most shops to weld up a leak within x feet from where the cats were supposed to be.
All you can do is ask around.
Old 08-31-2008 | 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

I see. I know there are certain Y-pipes that are CRAP. What Y-pipes would you guys recommend ? Also, the gaskets that came with these headers feel sort of cheap, are they that much of an important factor when it comes to sealing?
Old 09-01-2008 | 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do believe TSP makes a nice catted y-pipe. Pacesetter off-road y is a good bang for the buck, but it has a tendency to rattle if you don't bend it or put something between it and the floorboard. The only way you're going to be able to run an off-road y though is if you have a hookup for the install and inspections.
Old 09-01-2008 | 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

I have no idea of the differences between a catted Y and an Off-road Y pipe, but i know i'm in NY and need cats. TSP i'll check them out. I know putting a peice of rubber in between to stop the Pacesetter rattling can alter the sound a bit... any others?