New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FREE engine rebuild book!!! (strings attached)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
I somewhat agree with that statement, but books are great for collecting all the information in one place, and have it easily accessible.
The internet is kind of like ripping out all the pages out of the book and hiding them around your house. All the information is still there, but not quite as accessible.

But, we're all different. Heck, I've built several internet NICs, and I still read books about networking..
Might I add one other important item: accuracy, technical and otherwise. Don't get me wrong: there is a ton of good info on the 'net, and it was a great resource for me in writing this book. But not all of it is accurate. To make sure every fact I put into the book was as correct as possible, countless hours of research was involved. For example, I was fortunate enough to have access to some excellent GM documentation not normally available to the public, not to mention the knowledge and insight of folks who have been in the industry for decades.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that printed information is necessarily more accurate than that on the internet. I'm just saying that the time and effort I put in making this particular book - like all of my magazine work - as accurate as possible was borderline "over the top." I truly hope readers benefit from it.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Got the book from Amazon two days ago. I've only eyed through it, but it looks great, and it's extremely detailed, and divides it all up to very small steps.

Heck, it makes me want to rebuild my engine just for the fun of it.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

You could get it and any other book you want for FREE by using your in town interlibrary loan system. Hell alot of books are online now using WorldCat. Anyhow using interlibrary loan they simply do a search nationwide to libraries for an available copy. Car Tech (Publisher) donates books like this all the time to libraries (10 available worldwide at this time). Mine is on the way as we speak. This also works for college coarse books...HINT HINT!

FYI: If you have a scanner and a PDF program you can put the damn thing on disk too.

Me=Cheap A$$!

Last edited by SSAUTOCHROME; 09-22-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Just to update everyone, the review is still pending and will be posted soon. My reviewer got a little held up with some personal business but has promised to get to it shortly.

In the meantime, I'm happy to announce that my book has been listed in the 2009 GM Performance Parts catalog and can now be had under GM Part Number 88958674.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Launching!

I just ordered the book on the 4th, still waiting on Amazon to deliver....will post a review on there after reviewing too
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

ive been using this book for my engine build project and i must say it is great! lots of detailed pictures and explanations. there are many other things like parts inspection and extensive info. Great job man!

for my experience, i have never pulled an engine and torn it apart. i did screw around in high school autoshop with an old shitty 3.1 motor and taking it apart but that didnt really help. everything ive been doing on my car is a first timer thing and ive learned alot from this book and on this site.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

i just bought this book not too long ago, i havent read it yet but the pictures are very detailed from what ive seen.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Chris, this book and your GMHTP articles were invaluable to me on my first engine build. I just need a few sensors, front accessories, egr blockoff plates, spark plugs and oil filter, and I'm ready for engine dyno day. Here's how it looks so far:

Thanks for organizing so much information in step-by-step clarity. I hope those GMHTP articles don't ever get taken down either!!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

any chance of doing a book like this for GM transmissions?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonpixel
Chris, this book and your GMHTP articles were invaluable to me on my first engine build. I just need a few sensors, front accessories, egr blockoff plates, spark plugs and oil filter, and I'm ready for engine dyno day. Here's how it looks so far:

Thanks for organizing so much information in step-by-step clarity. I hope those GMHTP articles don't ever get taken down either!!
Lookin' good - is that engine headed into your blue classic Firebird?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
any chance of doing a book like this for GM transmissions?
Unfortunately I know very little about transmissions, although I do wish I knew more... CarTech does have some transmission-related books available, not sure if they'd be what you are looking for.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slayerized6
ill take the book plus a few thousand $$ for the price of a rebuild.
+1, and that's my number, as someone who's never rebuilt an engine but has 12x,xxx on his shortblock.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning on purchasing this book soon. I hope it can help me with a 6.0 Lq4 build.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Your book is on my Christmas list. Should I not get it, it will be ordered. I have the original block to my car sitting in my shed waiting for the time/money/knowledge to rebuild it.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WernerGMHTP
Lookin' good - is that engine headed into your blue classic Firebird?
That would be cool, but actually it's not. I have an LQ4 in mind for that, so I'll be reading through your book yet again.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Looks like the deadline is long past on this one, so I'm locking down.