Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More problems....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default More problems....

Well as some of you may know, i just replaced the alternator in my z28. Got it all finally worked out this afternoon. Started it up and worked great, right at about 13-14 volts.
Drove it up the road and back, then up to get a bite to eat. I beat on it and the next time i looked down the volts are in the red...It stays right between the middle and zero, does not move. Doesnt seem to have any fluncuation whether or not the lights or a/c is on, or if the revs are up or at idle..It just stays there.
I got the alt from autozone which has been remanufactured. There is a lifetime warrenty on it so not really worried about that. But the reason i am posting is because i want to make sure before i tear it out again that this is the problem.

Is there a break in procedure on alternators???
Could this be an electrical problem???
Could the plug or bolt that connects to it have a problem, or maybe have become disconnected???

Any info, help, ideas would be appreciated. I just dont wanna go through the mess of taking it out again.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the same problem, try wiggling the red wire around and see if your volts dont jump up. I had water in my connector on the alt. therefore it wasnt making a connection, also if that doesnt help you, try replacing the connectoe on the red wire......
Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Well this is what happened.
I beat on my car with the old alt and the volts jumped all the way UP to 18..It would stay there unless at idle but they would still remain high.
So i figured the alt took a ****..
Replaced it today and like i said worked great but now this is happening. After class tomorrow im am going to tear it down and make sure everything is tightend properly. I just dont wanna go through the PITA of taking it off and re tighting everything and then end up with the same problem.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

I hear ya
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

anyone else?
could i have just got a shitty alternator???
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to take the wire plug off the alt, start the car and see if you have 10 or more volts at the plug.
If not, and you have a '99 and up car, pull the harness connector off the VCM and ohm out the wire between C2 15 at the VCM connector and the alt plug to see if theres a break in the wire.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Usually a the source of troubles is the electrical connector at the regulator. The wire breaks internally. All autozone alternators are a piece of **** new or rebuilt so you may have two troubles. Unless you use gm plan on getting good at changing it in a parking lot somewhere wo the correct tools.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
All autozone alternators are a piece of **** new or rebuilt so you may have two troubles. Unless you use gm plan on getting good at changing it in a parking lot somewhere wo the correct tools.
+2 Get a Delco Remy reman. Been there done that
Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

UPDATE
..well i went and got another alternator today.. Put on and its not charging. Drove the car up there and tested the alternator, and they say it IS NOT the alternator. I have power to where it bolts up so im guessing it has to do with the alternator regulator plug in.. Thats pretty much the only thing left it could be. Fuses are fine, have power to the bolt....

So tomorrow im taking it up to a buddys shop and have him find the problem with the regulator plug wiring. I searched a little and couldnt find any noticable splice or disconnection anywhere, so im done with it, im just gonna let him handle it...

The cars been pissing me off lately. Im thinking about selling it and keeping the DD and buyin another bike.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
UPDATE
..well i went and got another alternator today.. Put on and its not charging. Drove the car up there and tested the alternator, and they say it IS NOT the alternator. I have power to where it bolts up so im guessing it has to do with the alternator regulator plug in.. Thats pretty much the only thing left it could be. Fuses are fine, have power to the bolt....

So tomorrow im taking it up to a buddys shop and have him find the problem with the regulator plug wiring. I searched a little and couldnt find any noticable splice or disconnection anywhere, so im done with it, im just gonna let him handle it...

The cars been pissing me off lately. Im thinking about selling it and keeping the DD and buyin another bike.
It's the exciter wire on the plug. Theres a break in it somewhere between the alternator and VCM.
I simple ohm reading like I said above will be all the searching you need to do.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

Are you saying put a volt source up to it and see if its getting power?
If i turn the key to the start position i am not getting power to it (dont know if im supposed to or not). I have looked and i cant find a single damn thing.

Im a 80% noob with wiring. LOL
Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO

Im a 80% noob with wiring. LOL
Yea, get someone to fix it.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club