New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be purchasing my first fast car in a couple months..

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say skip it... driving a cammed manual.... is gonna be very difficult and you will end up spending close to 500 for a new clutch pretty soon... maybe even 2... go snag a stocker
Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it but take your time to learn the capabilities and limitations of the car and always remember these two basic rules:

1) NEVER EVER go WOT in the rain no matter how fast you are going. It WILL break loose and you will find yourself going *** backwards.

2) NEVER EVER go WOT unless you are pointed dead straight or once again you will find yourself going *** backwards. Learn to roll into the throttle in curves and you will learn to feel the "edge " where you are about ready to lose traction.

Also keep in mind these cars suck to drive in the rain even when you are not cutting up so always be cautious in wet weather. Follow these basics and you will be OK I think

BTW. I am giving my daughter my car for her 16th and it will a 500rwhp stroker by then but I will make DAMN SURE she knows how to drive and she will be OK I' sure cause she has a good head on her shoulders
Old 10-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
BTW. I am giving my daughter my car for her 16th and it will a 500rwhp stroker by then but I will make DAMN SURE she knows how to drive and she will be OK I' sure cause she has a good head on her shoulders
lol like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEGfA0cZojU
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XmetallicaXguitarstX

Funny as ****.......and I hope not

That girl needed a little more training
Old 10-13-2008, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

Here are a few things I learned from my... eh... two LS1s.

1.) Not the best idea to teach yourself how to drive a manual in a F-body... it is embarrassing to stall it, it is expensive to replace the clutch, and honestly... starting from a dead stop isn't as forgiving compared to other cars.

2.) Make sure that you keep PLENTY of oil in the engine... or else you will throw a rod real quick, as opposed to POS saturns which can run with ZERO oil for days on end.

3.) Have an urge to hit a deer? At 75mph the deer simply roll right over the car, with nothing more than a small dent in the hood, maybe a ripped off headlight, and some fender damage... otherwise? GOOD TO GO! ... more or less, the shape of the car is very useful when hitting anything that isn't firmly connected to the ground.

4.) If you ever find yourself driving in the snow, and I mean... ANY snow, even less than a half inch of it on the ground... DO NOT HIT THE BRAKES! ... you WILL spin... a lot. Instead, learn to downshift to slowdown in "extenuating" circumstances.

5.) In the inevitable event of you spinning out (yes... you will... be it on purpose, or accidentally), you should learn to drift prior to that unfortunate event, at least learn to countersteer by going to an abandoned parking lot and doing some donuts.

6.) Don't beat on your rear end by doing breakstands, or high rpm launches on a daily basis... the rear differential is expensive... very... expensive ($2000 for just the internal parts).

7.) Don't let retards back into you at walmart... those nice fiberglass doors are EASILY cracked, and run about $2000 each to replace as well (including paint matching).

8.) Finally... listen to your car... any unusual noise usually means something bad, however... they can be stopped before things get REALLY bad if you take care of it right away. LS1s are EXPENSIVE toys... you can easily double what you originally payed for it through repair costs if you arn't careful.