New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be purchasing my first fast car in a couple months..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Might be purchasing my first fast car in a couple months..

And to be quite honest I'm not sure what to think, being its my first 6 speed LS1 F-body. I've been in the whole LS1 thing a long time, but have never actually driven a fast one. So my question is, how hard is it to drive an H/C/I LS1 trans am? And do you guys think I can start out with this as my first fast car? Or should I just pass on the deal... I know the newer 4th gen F-bodies are a bit easier to drive (throttle has a bit more play, not much low end power)

Here are the specs.

It dyno'ed 430/405 at the wheels.

2000 Mystic Teal Trans Am

Mods List

Engine/Drivetrain:
AZPS 01 Cam
AFR 205cc Heads
SLP Air Lid
K&N Filter
SLP Cold Air Intake
SLP Smooth Bellow
FAST LSX 90 Intake w/ Nick Williams 90mm Throttle Body
QTP 1-3/4 Merge Collector Headers
Pro Dyno True Dual X-pipe w/ 16" Borla XR-1's
AZP&S True Duals Out The Back Of The Car
Random Technology Adjustable Torque Arm
LS6 PCV Bypass
Pro 5.0 Shifter w/ Lou's Short Stick
Hawk Performance Brake Pads
Stage III Spec Clutch

Suspension / Wheels / Cosmetic:
Eibach Pro Kit
Hotchkis Boxed LCA's
Baer Eradispeed Front Rotors
Baer Decela Rear Rotors
18" Privat Profile Wheels
Mecham Oval Tips
AVS Taillight Blackouts
95' Formula Black Tail Light Center
Old 09-20-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this your first time driving a manual? just take it easy and get used to the car first before you go jumping on it. It can get away from you fast if your not carefull. also depending on the price I personally wouldn't buy a car that moded. I like to do that my self.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Trans Am was my second car... You need to be really careful with it, with stock power it can get away from you pretty easy. That car makes ~500 at the crank, so...

If you think you can handle it, go for it. Don't be surprised if you wreck it at least once though. I think an LS1 F-body is fine for a first car, just make sure it's stock and go from there.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, first time driving a manual.

The only reason I'm against it is because its already modded, I know the guy and he did it right and whatnot. But its something I would like to do myself also.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Sure, why not? Get it, if you can afford this for your first car, do it.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If its your first manual save up for a clutch. If moding your self is something you would like and can do I would find a nice stock f bod learn the stock power and when you trash the clutch, change it and start modding. You'll have to drop the y pipe to remove the trans so the cat back will have to be partly removed. So that would be a good time for you to do some of your own mods while you havethings apart.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

How long have u been driving.?? ...under a year-?? If so, I say get something else. Slower.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

i think u can handle it as long as u take it easy, avoid temptation, and when u have some experience with drivin it normal, u can start to lay into it more! just be careful because that car will hurt u
Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

it will get away from you a couple times but i say go for it just play safe
Old 09-21-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

yea if the price is right go for it and just take it easy at first
Old 09-21-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you aren't sure if you can handle it, chances are you can't. even under stock power there are people who cant handle them. it all depends on your maturity, and experience. if this is your first fast car, and your first 6 speed, i say pass and get a stock f-body. that way you can learn the car with each mod. My malibu... im glad i didnt get it when it was as fast as it is now, i learned to handle ~500 N/A rwhp slowly, with the car. if i had never driven it and then gotten in it, I would have likely wrecked it, but because it started off slow (267 v8 115 crank hp LOL) and slowly swapped in a 406, then modded, then nitrous. F-bodys seem to be forgiving on the street, but they have a fine line, and if you cross it, you'll end up in a ditch.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That car sounds well built. I say get it, if you know the guy and it is a good deal. Just don't get to power hungry when you are learning with it. Get a feel for the car, then let it be free.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

you will pop the stock rear end with that setup not being familiar with low end power in first gear
Old 09-25-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm.. I personally think if you are asking whether you can handle it or not, you shouldn't get it.

Haha. My first "fast car" was a 3.4L V6 1995 Firebird that I thought was so fast the first month I drove it.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I had a 305 1988 Camaro....and I thought it was the fastest thing on the planet! I say wait, and save some money.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Part of the fun with these cars is modding them. I say wait, buy a stock or near stock f-body, then learn the power as you mod it.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
I had a 305 1988 Camaro....and I thought it was the fastest thing on the planet!
Haha! I had an '85 305. I thought it was fast too

I'd say.. if you're going to buy this car, be very careful with it because that is a ton of power under the hood. Waiting it out and finding a less-modded car might just be a better option.. in the mean time, try to learn how to drive stick so you won't burn out your clutch when you're riding it with 500 hp at the flywheel. lol
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely stay away... get a stock 6-speed LS1 and go from there, for your own safety and everyone else around. A stock LS1 can and will get away from you if its your first powerful car. Ask me how I know
Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

After watching one of my friends wreck a stock LS2 vehicle....I say pass on this. It was his first RWD car with a stick and it got away from him....

start out with a stock V6 5 Spd fbody for a while or something and graduate up from that after you learn how to drive a RWD manual vehicle.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Okay bud, this is what happened to me...

I got a truck as my first car at 16 loved it, but i had this speed fetish, well my buddy got a trans am, he took me for a ride and my whole world changed...

I started talking to my dad and at first it looked like i had no chance, well about 4 months later we started getting serious about it, I had never drove stick before so was a little nervous but we found a cream of the crop 10k miles 6 speed ws6 all stock for sale, well knowing me i had to have it so for my birthday i got it and now im loving every minute of it...

As a tip, don't gun it your first time out your gonna regret it, just take it easy at first, I did fine with mine and i'm still alive at 17 but once you feel you got the hang of stock then start modding,

Don't buy the car pre-modded, half the fun is knowing you did it all, kinda makes a bond with your car if you ask me...

Oh and about everyone on here saying to be careful and don't be stupid since your 16 and all, I thought they were all dumb and didn't know me but its true this car can **** your life if you don't respect it...

But other than that enjoy the **** out of it when you get her..

Good luck bro i know how it feels to be excited about getting your first ls1