Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous On Mostly Street Car...Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitrous hands down. Had fun with my kit!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
I dont spray mine much because it is such a pain to get the bottle filled where I live. Spend the $6k on a turbo

I think its going to cost more than that, and he just got free stuff.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

I spray my car all the time. i cant help it.runs 11.29@125 on the juice with a shitty 60 1.9 60's.

I dont need that much power all the time. but it is nice to have it.i have to rebuild the 4l60e once a year as it is . cant afford to do any more but it is nice to have that spray.

i love it
Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

invest in a good radar detector and pay close attention to the road surface. its too easy to light up the tires on the unprepped street with all that torque hitting in an instant. when i first started using (nitrous), i would get sideways at really inappropriate moments.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

Nitrous is a blast and I don't mind filling the bottle. I don't spray it very often so the cost is worth it. The only part that bothers me is like a situation I had on my way to work today. I was waiting to turn on to a 4 lane and a new challenger passed me. I opened the bottle and turned the heater on hoping he would play a little and of course he wouldn't. So I closed the bottle when I got to work and purged out the line. Not that big of a deal but it was just wasted. Oh well, have to pay a little to have fun!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
How much does it cost to get your own mother bottle? What does it end up costing per 10 lbs. bottle? I am very interested in this
The bottle cost me around $220. That is a 65lb bottle. It really depends on where you are. What I pay per pound by getting my own bottle is what some pay from a dealer. People charge $6 a pound where I live.

I freeze and fill so there is no need for a pump.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Go with the juice. As everyone on here has said, you will love it and will love spraying it.
The safety stuff is good and all, but there are some upsides and downsides to having alot of the stuff you listed. Window switches can be a pain, but recommended, FPSS work but also if there is a burp, then they can also be a pain.
I bought everything to put in the car, but had so much trouble with the FPSS and window switch that I run on a button just like need for speed.. LOL.
Blow down you will for sure want and need.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your the kind of person that can delay gradification for a while, & only use the nitrous when you really need it, It will be good for you. No sense in really needing it, & then realizing that the bottle is empty.
Go with a 15 or 20 lb. bottle so refills wont be that often, & only spray it when you need it, & youll be OK.
When you finally do spray when you need it, Its gonna feel GOOD! Its gonna feel like god is pushung your car with his finger!
Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

20lb bottle?! I didnt even know they had those. If you do like I said earlier you will only need a 10lb bottle.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
For those of you with nitrous on a mostly street car who barely ever go to the track...do you think it is worth it? I have a basic kit + bottle warmer + purge for free, but all the extra safety items will cost a about $550 more and it seems like refilling bottles would add up quite a bit. Not sure if the cost is worth it or how much I would actually use it with refilling bottles costing so much. Opinions please!
Here is what nitrous will do for you on a street car

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-19-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
20lb bottle?! I didnt even know they had those. If you do like I said earlier you will only need a 10lb bottle.
Yes NOS has one. Why not go with a bigger bottle It will last longer...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding your question, yes, I think it's well worth it on a street car (provided that you have easy access to bottle refills). My bottle is mounted in the rear hatch and all of the switches are right under the radio -- I opted for all of the safety features and creature comforts (remote bottle opener, bottle heater, progressive controller, nitrous pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge, wideband O2, etc.), so it truly is an automatic system. Hit a button to turn the switches on, open the bottle and then just hit the gas. It's idiot proof and will be well worth it the next time you pull up to a Ferrari on the highway!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
Yes NOS has one. Why not go with a bigger bottle It will last longer...

I like to have a full bottle all the time. So if I race and end up with 5lbs left I fill it up. I dont want to race with 5lbs in a 20lb bottle. So what I am saying is that if you fill it up all the time, assuming you have your own mother bottle, you really wouldnt need the 20lb bottle and the extra weight. Also depends on where you put it. I have mine on the hump in the back. I dont think a 20lb would fit there. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned

Well, I'm going to go against the world here...
I did spray on my C5 coupe. It is incredible... but only at full throttle. For racing, it's great but for just driving around.. it's just not there.
Now with the s/c on the Z, the power is there EVERYWHERE in the powerband. Just roll it on. That's where the major difference is.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

its worth it..i love it! dont spray it to much or u will get hooked on it.. i live 5 houses down from a speedshop that refills. so i dont mind spraying alot!!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Todd157k
I did spray on my C5 coupe. It is incredible... but only at full throttle. For racing, it's great but for just driving around.. it's just not there.
Now with the s/c on the Z, the power is there EVERYWHERE in the powerband. Just roll it on. That's where the major difference is.
I agree. If FI cost the same as n2o, I wouldent even be thinking about n2o.
THATS where the majot difference is.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

It is definitely worth it!!! I've had my system on a mostly street vehicle for the past two years and I love it
Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Banned

Pay now, or "pay as you go".

but, you are correct.. the initial outlay is a tough one.

What cracks me up is these guys at car shows that have a blower AND N2o bottles in the trunk... only the bottles aren't filled and they admit they've never actually activated the system. HOWEVER, they do put "900 HP" on their show plaque.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Originally Posted by Todd157k
I'm going to have to agree with you as well..

I like having the power there all the time, not just at full throttle while pushing a button. It's definitely the cheap solution and the best bang for the buck, but it gets to be a pain refilling the bottle all the time. Another turn-off is that if you get pulled over with the bottle open it's straight to jail.

Quick Reply: Nitrous On Mostly Street Car...Opinions