Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous On Mostly Street Car...Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008 | 10:43 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
Accessories that I am looking at are Mallory 685 (window switch and timing retard), blow-down tube, FPSS, nitrous pressure gauge, nitrous filter, new jets for 100 shot, nozzle retaining nut for the rubber elbow, and an ashtray switch panel. Added up to just over $500 and I rounded up cuz things always seem to cost a little more for misc. odds and ends.
Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
I have a MadZ28 tune for my car right now, and he said that my timing is currently advanced 1 degree with the tune. Based on that, do you guys think that I will not need to pull any timing with a 100 shot? That would be a nice $ savings.
The parts list you have above looks good. Retarding the timing is done not only to reduce detonation risk but to make more power. The LT1 ignition system can also benefit from the stronger spark and the ignition based rev limiter. To ease the install of the 685 get the adaptor harness, it will make wiring it in very easy. MSD has them for your car and Mallory might make one.

Let me know if you have any other questions, will be glad to help.
Old 10-23-2008 | 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

here is my two cents...
I have a stock '01 Z28 with a Cold Fusion Nitrous system. I bought the system new for $400 and had the 10lbs bottle filled. $435. in the system.
I pilled it to a 125hp (wet) shot. The car has been to the track two times in one year.
I ran a best of 11.70@ 118mph on these set up.
On the street I'm 11-0 beating everything from '03 Corba's to C5 Z06's and sevral others.
A year later I'm on the 2nd bottle ($470 in the kit, as of now) , I have NO safty stuff on the car YET, a WOT switch is all that triggers the system once it's turned on. The next item will be a window switch, then a good tune to run 150 shot. The bottle pressure stays around 925-950psi when cold and 1100psi after sitting in the hot summer sun all day (thats when its fun to spray). I love the nitrous system, it kills every thing I have ever come across thus-far. Bang for the Buck it would take me 175 bottle fills at $35. per fill to reach the price of a turbo kit or supercharger and at the rate I go through bottles it would be about 60 years to equal the cost. now I do know some people who go through a bottle a week. Thats a different story there. At a bottle a week at $35 it would take 3.5 years to equal the cost of a $6500 any thing.

Go with the nitrous!
Old 11-01-2008 | 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

I've been running nitrous for over 20 years, back when WE had to figure out what worked and what didn't. Today I have an 02 SS and I can't believe how smooth and simple this thing works. I have the NX Gemini 2 EFI kit with the tps activation. I later added the NANO system. Purge to 1050lbs and it stays there all the way down the track. Absolutely INSTANT-ON!! And no waste or drop off at 850'-900'. I will say if you haven't used nitrous, definately get it. I already spent enough for 5 tubo kits, (2-5 bottles a week). But, I'm jumping ship and going turbo. Can't wait to see #'s on the new LSX DR heads!!

Quick Reply: Nitrous On Mostly Street Car...Opinions