Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LSx Tunnel Ram Intake Hits the Market-Check this bad boy out

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
I whould love to test this on are cam only car and see if it actualy gains over the fast 90/90 setup. Im kinda dounting a 25hp gain but i whould love to do some back to back dyno testing
The FAST 90 is 10 15hp over a LS6 out of the box, IIRC. Did you watch the video, that's their claim, and Edelbrock is normally right on with their claims.
Robert
Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by novass72
That intake is going to suck, its not even composite! Haven't any of you guys ever heard of heat soak!

Theres a thread about this in the external engine forum and supposedly it will fit without any cutting. Thats just what i read in the other section though.
That's not necessarily the case. The problem with the old school Weiand is the fact that the manifold had no separation between the engine, creating a big oven. Like the Edelbrock Victor Jr., these are a true single plane and the only contact is at the cyliner head port inlets. Heat soak will not be an issue on this manifold.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Truck Sponsor

I know some truck guys are interested in this set up. So when will they be ready to purchase.?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jasonsny
That's not necessarily the case. The problem with the old school Weiand is the fact that the manifold had no separation between the engine, creating a big oven. Like the Edelbrock Victor Jr., these are a true single plane and the only contact is at the cyliner head port inlets. Heat soak will not be an issue on this manifold.
I think he was just joking around in response to another guys posts. You are right though, heat soak isnt as much of an issue since this intake and the vic jr/super vic allow for air to circulate under the manifold and between the runners. There will obviously be some heat soak given the material versus a composite intake. Given proper cool down time betwen runs it really isnt an issue though.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elcaballoloco
I'm just waiting for some douche to jump in this thread and start a heat-soak argument because it's not composite.
Nah.
Meth injection > Heat Soak

Originally Posted by jasonsny
The Pro-Flo XT intake will not clear the hood. We are currently spec'ing all of our new Xt intakes and will have the height measurments on edelbrock.com and in the 2009 catalog.
So what is the intended market if it won't fit an F-body?
And will it fit a C5? Without cutting the cowl? If cutting needed, how much? Stock hood?
Thanks.

Last edited by N4cer; 12-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I can get this extra hood I've had my eye on I wouldn't mind hacking up a stock hood to make it fit.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think the hood is the issue on an F-body. It'll be the huge cowl and windshield that are hanging over the engine. I sure wish that rep could come back and respond.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

edelbrock has a pro-port canted valve they had at the show and another std style head thats new as well i think.

No way that intake fits under a fbody cowl, it is quite tall. I probably have a few pictures from the show.

200 CID plenum volume, runner length within half inch of ls7 manifold I think it was. that or the sbc one id have to check
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by N4cer
Nah.

And will it fit a C5? Without cutting the cowl? If cutting needed, how much? Stock hood?
Thanks.
From what i can tell from the picture and matching it up tomy Vic jr runners, it will be real close. We may have to trim a small amount of the cowl, but it looks like it would be beofre gettinginto the hood seal. Height wise, not sure?

I think an intake like that is directed towards anyone whom could use it. Most of us would gladly butcher our cars up a tad bit. There is also a big street rod market opening up...
Robert
Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
I went and looked and we have a nice 1 1/2" before we wood need to cut into the cowl past the rubber seal. So it looks as though it will fit and def cut less than the F-Bodies. I hope I can get one soon?
Robert
so do think much chopping will be needed for your c5? to make fit?
how much cutting do u think will be needed in a c6?
if your car were equipeed with super victor instead of a jr., do u think the height would equal this new intake manifold? or close too?
i have a super vic. that i would like to install along with 90* elbow, in a c6.
eventually
Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NemeSS
so do think much chopping will be needed for your c5? to make fit?
how much cutting do u think will be needed in a c6?
if your car were equipeed with super victor instead of a jr., do u think the height would equal this new intake manifold? or close too?
i have a super vic. that i would like to install along with 90* elbow, in a c6.
eventually
Well even the jr and an elbow the hood won't close without rubbing/hitting and that's with the low sheet metal elbow. edelbrock has a nice cast elbow that I heard rumors will allow the hood to shut? At least it will flow better than the one I have. If you look at mine I have a 1 1/4 spacer under the Elbow with burst panels and it looks about the same hieght as the tunnel ram.
Robert
Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by N4cer
Nah.

Thanks.
The intended market for this intake is designed around the Pro-Flo XT EFI system; a stand alone complete EFI package that will allow the user to install full sequential EFI on virtually any LS (catherdral port) based motor. These systems are popular for engine swaps in muscle car, street rods and off-road.

As with all Edelbrock EFI intakes we also offer the XT Ls1 as a separate item. This one in particular gained a lot of attention at the trade shows from the LS crowd.

This intake will not clear the hood of a F-body or Y-body. I posted dimensions on a thread last week detailing heights.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks. But that's only the hood. Say we have a cowl hood. What about clearance at the windshield cowl/wipers?

I'm shocked they'd make an intake that is made only for engine swapped cars. Sure there's some interest, but that just seems odd when you could make one for a much greater number of people. I guess it'll fit on trucks.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Nobody ever mentions the possibility of shimming the K-member for clearance on here...you can shim it slightly without hurting the drivetrain gemoetry

-Will
Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TARZAN
Nobody ever mentions the possibility of shimming the K-member for clearance on here...you can shim it slightly without hurting the drivetrain gemoetry

-Will
whats slightly? 1/2, 3/4, 1in?
still dont think that would be enuff to clear
Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

id REALLY be interested in back to back dyno gains over a fast 90/90 on a stock cube LS1 with head/cam
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Robert56
Well even the jr and an elbow the hood won't close without rubbing/hitting and that's with the low sheet metal elbow. edelbrock has a nice cast elbow that I heard rumors will allow the hood to shut? At least it will flow better than the one I have. If you look at mine I have a 1 1/4 spacer under the Elbow with burst panels and it looks about the same hieght as the tunnel ram.
Robert
got your pm,
its still kind of hard to judge the height, but i am getting more of a idea of it.
this is the intake i meant, see sig below
vvv
Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

subscribing. can't wait to see some fast comparisons. glad my hood isnt stock, i'll make that bastard fit
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

We move kmember down 1/8, to clear vic jr and elbow without cutting, but youd need probbaly an inch for that

Cowl hood wont help a bunch, its the front lip of the throttle body that will be the worst clearence. Youn need something like tall sunoco hood, or somethign like Ritchia Stein run to fit a 630 inch engine and carb under his Camaro hood.

You would need clearence 5-8 inches taller than where your TB is now Id guess from seeing in person
Old 12-24-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

You can't lower the K-member with spacers. You are raising the body.

Quick Reply: New LSx Tunnel Ram Intake Hits the Market-Check this bad boy out