Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when u spray on.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
a colder plug will not hinder driveability if tuned with that plug. a very cold plug will tend to fowl up/load up and hurt drivability. when i refer to a cold plug, i am talking a plug intended for a nitrous shot/system of 250+

why dont you ask what part you should run for a given need/goal? asking hypothetical and you will get silly answers to silly questions

if you are not ready to change out plugs on a regular basis - then you arent ready to run nitrous. we are here to help. i wouldnt run anything hotter than a TR7 plug for a nitrous application
I agree, I have used TR-6's for years for my N/A motor, if rwhp was near 400. Also just incase with the timing, or crappy fuel there would give you room to avoid premature detonation.

On a stock motor, with a stock tune, running a 100 shot on a TR-55 plug, wet shot should not have an issue, actually it would be better to use the TR-55 vs a Factory plug due to the meterial used.

Still remember when you run the bottle that you are prepared. I plan on always using a stand alone fuelcell in the front that is filled with C-16. So the fuel requirement will never be an issue and the plugs can stay in the TR-6 range and car would need a specific "Nitrous" tune.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i understand running Nitrous on a TR-55 like a 100 shot, you would END UP detonating in the long run. The TR-55 wont be able to disapate heat like a colder plug will. Therefore if you make a pass at the dragstrip, the plug may get to a point somewhere in ~3rd gear lets say, where it cant disapate the heat you keep adding and adding...and you will end up detonating.

But like i said before, get video of your adventures and report back please
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A hotter plug wont be able to pull the heat away as fast from the combustion chamber and will become a glow plug (tip will glow red from heat) this will ignite the mixture before the ignition system would ( pre-ignition). This in turn will bent rods, crack pistons, melt alum. pistons and combustion chambers.

Like mentioned before a colder plug will tend to foul up with low engine speeds, a stronger ignition system will help clean the tips and stop build up but with a really cold plug for the big hits changing plugs is inevitable. A colder plug will take just a bit of off-bottle performnce but u wont be able to "feel" it, the timing that needs to be takin out wil make more of an impact, unless you have a race engine where every 1/8 of a hp counts dont worry about it but if you had a race engine it wouldnt be running a TR55 or 6 anyway. Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

I ask questions like this sometimes because I’ts nice to know why you shouldn’t do something like this... the more you know the better...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the last couple responses. gives me the answer i was looking for. So there would not be any noticeable performance difference. Just a stability problem with the plug in question. thanks. Just trying to clear up a question.