Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NITROUS ? on Vic Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by bigboy576103
Damn dont sound bad at all.. now does that come with a bottle to?
I knew i forgot to put something in there....It does come with a 10lb bottle or 15lb bottle. Which ever you'd like. The 15lb bottle will add $45 to the price.

Doing it that way is it more affective since its closer to the cylinders?
Not really the main reason. The best reason is that it's made to the intake and flowed to the intake as well so that away the mixture hits every cyl. THe best possible option would be to go with a direct port because of the ability to tune each cyl individually.

-Chris
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya but i've look at some of those kits and dam there high. i was looking at one kit along time ago and it looked like the noids were mounted on new fuel rails just for ls1's and all the plumming was ran with the fuel rails and had like a spacer that went under the injector,so all i wuld have had to do is run the lines for fuel and nitrous to the noids . but idk if i was seeing something wrong r not
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
My test for that setup sucked. Popped the driver side head gasket and had a backfire x2. I'll just stick with my 4150 now. More power to ya if you do try it though.
Yes, but you didn't try the edelbrock elbow, right? The problem for me and many other corvette and/or late model guys is the fact that their are currently no fly by wire style 4150 throttle bodies, otherwise i would be doing what your doing. So Iam just trying combos and seeeing if I can make them work. N/A guys report lean issues with certain 90 degree sheet metal style elbows also, so I contend or speculate that it's an air dynamics issue, which Edelbrock reportably has addressed. time will tell. I wish i had an 8-hole EGT set-up to add to my tuning arsenal, lol.
Robert
Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

ya but i've look at some of those kits and dam there high. i was looking at one kit along time ago and it looked like the noids were mounted on new fuel rails just for ls1's and all the plumming was ran with the fuel rails and had like a spacer that went under the injector,so all i wuld have had to do is run the lines for fuel and nitrous to the noids . but idk if i was seeing something wrong r not
You weren't seeing anything wrong it's called the NXL system
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=1395

You can do what you are wanting to with the spray bars without a problem. People have been using plates to spray 300+ hp for years now without a problem.

-Chris
Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yes, but you didn't try the edelbrock elbow, right? The problem for me and many other corvette and/or late model guys is the fact that their are currently no fly by wire style 4150 throttle bodies, otherwise i would be doing what your doing. So Iam just trying combos and seeeing if I can make them work. N/A guys report lean issues with certain 90 degree sheet metal style elbows also, so I contend or speculate that it's an air dynamics issue, which Edelbrock reportably has addressed. time will tell. I wish i had an 8-hole EGT set-up to add to my tuning arsenal, lol.
Robert
Sounds to me like we need to come up with a cable conversion for vettes and trucks. And you're right, it doesn't matter which salesman on here says different, the sheetmetal elbows do not flow on nitrous and N/A motors. They have distribution problems. With overall air, not just with nitrous. Why do you think guys are picking up 30-50hp just by ditching the elbow and going with the 4150. The Edelbrock looks like its alot smoother of a transition and angle.

I mean look at your old elbow Robert. That thing is rediculous. Were they trying for a venturi effect when they designed that thing? LOL Doesn't work like that guys.

OP-- Get that pro flow kit that the guy is selling on PT. Then piece together a bottle and feed line. You will come in way cheaper, and have a proven setup without having to send your intake in, pay shipping both ways, and permenantly modify your intake.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

edelbrock elbows suck. Have you used or seen a intake from INTAKEELBOWS.com people are seeing the same gains as a 4150 tb by swaping to one of therse elbows over all others
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by deathbydisplacement
edelbrock elbows suck. Have you used or seen a intake from INTAKEELBOWS.com people are seeing the same gains as a 4150 tb by swaping to one of therse elbows over all others
Ohhhh. You mean the elbow like this one?

That's the one we're talking about. They are awesome for boost. But that is the elbow people are removing to go with the 4150 and make all of the power gains. There are different edelbrock designs. The really low profile one does suck, but look at Roberts. That has a little better flow pattern into the plenum.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya the elbows look cool but theroredically they dont look like they would work well for NA. I like the way i did mine and it runs great and it dont seem like it every hessitates because of air flow, when im at the track ppl have told me that it sounds like i have a damn turbo lol.. i just fabricated a adapter plate that lets the TB sit directly on top of intake.

I have done a lil research and that pro flow kit seems like a good starter setup. i have a buddy that has a bottle and lines i can grab from him..
Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Ya the elbows look cool but theroredically they dont look like they would work well for NA. I like the way i did mine and it runs great and it dont seem like it every hessitates because of air flow, when im at the track ppl have told me that it sounds like i have a damn turbo lol.. i just fabricated a adapter plate that lets the TB sit directly on top of intake.

I have done a lil research and that pro flow kit seems like a good starter setup. i have a buddy that has a bottle and lines i can grab from him..
Do you have any pics of that by chance? I was looking for a pic of that setup for Cam because he's running in an EFI hater class that limits his TB size.

You will love that plate.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have a picture but if you watch my video towards the end is my setup. I made mine for a Ls2 90MM. I can get one of those made quick there already designed, I can make one for almost whatever size and style just might take me a bit. As far as i know i am the only one that produces them and i would like to become known for them but just gotta get someone to test this method. I just wanted to be different in the begginning but now i really like it cuz ther is nobody else that i have see that has this, without buying a Carbed style TB

What size is he regulated to?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Something like 80mm

Edit--Just watched the vid. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sux lol.. Thats bout like our 10.5 Class ur limitted to 1 76mm turbo
Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Get some pics up of that setup. There might be a few bucks to be made off of it for ya.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do man ill send you a PM when i get uploaded prolly be tomorrow sometime
Old 08-13-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Are you serious? Please tell me your not!!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

??? am i in trouble? NOT AGAIN
Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

The only elbow that Edelbrock makes that doesn't work real well is the super short long one for hood clearance, but they know this and state that it is good to about 400rwhp. Then I see guys running it and wonder why they can't get their motors past 450hp n/a no matter what they try, lol. You need to do some reading before making statements like this. I will bet a thousand dollars that YOU have not tested these elbows out, lol. some of us have actual experiance with quite a few of the designs out there. wilson makes another cast elbow that works very well and it's a 90. Now boosted cars are another story... By the way, my short in height sheet metal elbow I am not sure whom actually made it, or who makes them, but it is less than desirable for making big HP.

Here's what the real break through is, and was done on the computer and then flogged for many thousands of hours to find something that worked on the LSx specifically. I also added the spacer in part to get a better more even flow (pulse) and more top end.

By the way, the reason you see sheet metal intakes like you do, is because they were the only game in town for some time. when i got started with the single plain the sheet metal was the only chance of running a hood. But now there are other players coming in to the lsx game with big deeeeep pockets IE: Edelbrock. look at the last picture, you really think that would out perform the Edelbrock on a high HP set-up?

Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 08-13-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

yeah explain this... a lot

you are saying that edelbrock elbows suck and that an intake elbow from intakeelbows.com with a *insert the mm throttle body of your choice here* is on par with a straight 4150 throttle body?

I want whatever this guy is smoking!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

well im talking about a boosted motor. Im also refering to the ultra low elbow also. The reason the edelbrock elbow are not that good it because of the casting.They are very ruff on the inside causing drag. if you could port and polish it mabey you could recieve better results.O and for the one that are talking $#!+ lets see some flow bench number comparisons to show how bad the intake elbow im refering to over edelbrock low pro?????? Also i would be interested in the adapter plate for the 90mm stock tb that sit directly onto the intake. Can i get some pics also i may be interseted in getting one:
Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

well why would you refer to a boosted motor when the OP obviously doesn't have a boosted motor. He said he wants to run a large shot of nitrous. and by the looks of his sig/car something tells me he isn't running another power adder on top of that. if he is, that's one hell of a sleeper!

and you are correct, the inside of the edelbrock intake elbow is rough, and it is there to cause drag. but that drag is there for a reason. it's called a laminar boundary layer of air. A smooth surface will promote a layer of air that flows right above the surface of the intake. This is great, if your intake is straight (i.e. single plane). but it's actually bad if you have any curved areas (i.e. an intake elbow). the curve in the elbow disrupts this airflow layer and creates turbulance, more than the "rough edges" of the edelbrock intake elbow.

The rough edges on the edelbrock intake, although create a little drag, doesn't promote this layer of airflow, which offsets the drag made by those cursed "rough edges," which all goes back to my original post of "edelbrock has a little bit of r&d in their elbows". Riddle me this. Ever play golf or attempt to play it? Ever look at the actual golf ball? Ever wonder why there are little dimples all over the ball? Ponder that for a moment.

and i don't really think I know anyone that uses an ultra low elbow either. that's geared more towards vette owners imo. most people get the low profile one with a vic. jr and do a little cutting. or just run a gmpp intake w/ a low profile one and don't cut.

and a 90 mm throttle body flows 1100 cfm
a fast 4150 tb flows 1375 cfm

I mean come on... easy math there. I don't want to break it down any further for you.

Quick Reply: NITROUS ? on Vic Jr.