Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NITROUS ? on Vic Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigboy576103
I dont have a picture but if you watch my video towards the end is my setup. I made mine for a Ls2 90MM. I can get one of those made quick there already designed, I can make one for almost whatever size and style just might take me a bit. As far as i know i am the only one that produces them and i would like to become known for them but just gotta get someone to test this method. I just wanted to be different in the begginning but now i really like it cuz ther is nobody else that i have see that has this, without buying a Carbed style TB

What size is he regulated to?
he is talking about me, our limited 10.5 class out here wont allow any tb bigger than 80mm and no carb style 4150 our allowed, def. not gonna run an elbow either. That would be easier if you could make one instead of us fabbing one up. We are not financially ready to build this set up yet but if you could send me a rough price that would be cool along with some pics. It will be the way to go for me and this class. gonna try and cheat the system.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys sry i havent figured out how to post pictures yet but if you pm me your email i can send you a pic via email...
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here ya go let me know what yall think.. One is a two peice aluminumn and the other is one peice stainless steel. Im currently working on getting more variety of material to make them out of..
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like the two piece aluminum? I think it wil work better for me with the spacer blow off.

robert
Old 08-15-2009, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by danhr
well why would you refer to a boosted motor when the OP obviously doesn't have a boosted motor. He said he wants to run a large shot of nitrous. and by the looks of his sig/car something tells me he isn't running another power adder on top of that. if he is, that's one hell of a sleeper!

and you are correct, the inside of the edelbrock intake elbow is rough, and it is there to cause drag. but that drag is there for a reason. it's called a laminar boundary layer of air. A smooth surface will promote a layer of air that flows right above the surface of the intake. This is great, if your intake is straight (i.e. single plane). but it's actually bad if you have any curved areas (i.e. an intake elbow). the curve in the elbow disrupts this airflow layer and creates turbulance, more than the "rough edges" of the edelbrock intake elbow.

The rough edges on the edelbrock intake, although create a little drag, doesn't promote this layer of airflow, which offsets the drag made by those cursed "rough edges," which all goes back to my original post of "edelbrock has a little bit of r&d in their elbows". Riddle me this. Ever play golf or attempt to play it? Ever look at the actual golf ball? Ever wonder why there are little dimples all over the ball? Ponder that for a moment.

and i don't really think I know anyone that uses an ultra low elbow either. that's geared more towards vette owners imo. most people get the low profile one with a vic. jr and do a little cutting. or just run a gmpp intake w/ a low profile one and don't cut.

and a 90 mm throttle body flows 1100 cfm
a fast 4150 tb flows 1375 cfm

I mean come on... easy math there. I don't want to break it down any further for you.
True story and very well said. This is the reason I only port matched the intake and outlet mounting flanges. Also, I removed the heavy cast at the parting lines and any surface that shifted, other than that it's as rough as a $6 crack *****'s picked at face, lol.
Robert
Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

well your golf ball example is null and void. That concept only really aplies to spheres. Thats why stealt fighters have golf ball like dimples all over it ,it causes less drag .........not. I get what every one is saying. Im stateing that many people have seen big gains by swaping to different elbows.I do agree that a tb is the best way to go and it will flow better. My example of seeing the same gains of 50 hp was switching to a different elbow not from elbow to tb.people swaping from a better elbow to a tb probally want see that much of a gain than swaping from a bad elbow to a tb.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:53 AM
9 Second Club

I had better results with turning air before the tb. Im only sprayin 100-200 so the perimeter plate works for me. It really hits pretty hard. A carb hat and cone filter works with the stock ss hood.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by deathbydisplacement
well your golf ball example is null and void. That concept only really aplies to spheres. Thats why stealt fighters have golf ball like dimples all over it ,it causes less drag .........not. I get what every one is saying. Im stateing that many people have seen big gains by swaping to different elbows.I do agree that a tb is the best way to go and it will flow better. My example of seeing the same gains of 50 hp was switching to a different elbow not from elbow to tb.people swaping from a better elbow to a tb probally want see that much of a gain than swaping from a bad elbow to a tb.
no you are just too dense to realize you are a moron. yes.... building a motor is exactly like building a stealth fighter . that fact you even attempted to make that analogy, and the fact I had to read your post 5 times to comprehend it, shows your intelligence and what your $0.02 is worth.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3fingas
I had better results with turning air before the TB. I'm only spraying 100-200 so the perimeter plate works for me. It really hits pretty hard. A carb hat and cone filter works with the stock ss hood.

Nice plumbing job. I love when guys do there own take on things rather than the copy cat set-ups, and thus mine a little different too.
Robert

Edit: By the way there is a new style perimeter plate that is meant for 300 to 500hp shots, a totally new way to do perimeter. it also works fine for 100/300 shots and a dual stage model coming. I plan on doing an intro thread on this very soon. If I had the $$ i would have one in hand, but will try to get a deal for testing purposes in the street/strip realm (it's more orientated toward the pro racer).

Last edited by Robert56; 08-16-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Nice plumbing job. I love when guys do there own take on things rather than the copy cat set-ups, and thus mine a little different too.
Robert

Edit: By the way there is a new style perimeter plate that is meant for 300 to 500hp shots, a totally new way to do perimeter. it also works fine for 100/300 shots and a dual stage model coming. I plan on doing an intro thread on this very soon. If I had the $$ i would have one in hand, but will try to get a deal for testing purposes in the street/strip realm (it's more orientated toward the pro racer).
Robert, are you talking about that NS plate?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Robert, are you talking about that NS plate?
Yes sir. like I implied, trying to get something going behind the scenes (have vendor status with some companies not normally associated with ls1tech, and no PM me on this as no more info at this time, lol). Looks so very promising and the results have been better than one could imagine. A new nozzle also, and proved gains over the soft plume style. I don't know if you were around when I intro'ed the 90° annular discharge nozzle and all of the hoopla. well it was proved, at least in a a single nozzle application to be within a couple HP of all others. they all were with in like 5hp of each other. This new one will pull ahead in HP guaranteed, but this is for another thread later, lol. OK, too much said already, lol...
Robert
Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cant wait to see what it is.. sounds interesting
Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Robert

Thanks Robert, I would definately pick up a new perimeter plate with that capability. The Zex plate hits pretty hard. PIA to get to the n20 jet so fuel is up front for tunning. I get nice plugs with this plate with a 200 hit @ 11.7 afr. It is my opinion that NA setups running the spider do not need an elbow. Unless your ETC or stuck with a single blade tb. You can mod the cowl and hood with ease. You also keep the wipers. If its a DD then a little more to seal it from weather. In the long run, it was definately worth it for me.

I'll try to get a pic with the carb hat & filter on it.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes for sure, lets see it all together. the more combos we see the better, and maybe will figure out something that will work better for the Vettes.
Robert
Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 AM
12 Second Club

subscribed to see Gary's picture with the carb hat/filter that is the setup I want to go to, Gary you still have your windshield wipers correct?

awesome setups guys, I'm looking at doing a 2 stage fogger setup on a vic jr. w/ a 4150.

Chad
Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
subscribed to see Gary's picture with the carb hat/filter that is the setup I want to go to, Gary you still have your windshield wipers correct?

awesome setups guys, I'm looking at doing a 2 stage fogger setup on a vic jr. w/ a 4150.

Chad
My bad...

Yeah the wipers work. If you DD it you would have to do some more sealing from water, but I dont so I didn't. Also had to mod some of the hood. not too bad. I wanted to add a thicker spacer/plate but it just barely rubs the hood, so anymore than 1/2", then an aftermarket hood or shim the k-member.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

i love my nitro dave spray bars they really work and checking plugs every pass for a year straight it atomizes wonderfully i have no dealings with HSW but they seem to know their stuff also i dont think you will lose either way they are both very good sources for nitrous needs
Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

My bad...

Yeah the wipers work. If you DD it you would have to do some more sealing from water, but I dont so I didn't. Also had to mod some of the hood. not too bad. I wanted to add a thicker spacer/plate but it just barely rubs the hood, so anymore than 1/2", then an aftermarket hood or shim the k-member.
Very nice man, love how you fit it without hacking up the cowl to hell and back, I havn't seen your car in ages...who's elbow is that?

I was thinking you had a carb style air cleaner on top of it, kind of like Loudmouth LS1's setup.

is it a noticeable restriction with the elbow/filter compared to just running the 4150 open? I take it when you go to the track that is what you do?, have you dyno'd with the filter on?

looks great...

that zex plate is .750" thick right?

Chad
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
Very nice man, love how you fit it without hacking up the cowl to hell and back, I havn't seen your car in ages...who's elbow is that?

I was thinking you had a carb style air cleaner on top of it, kind of like Loudmouth LS1's setup.

is it a noticeable restriction with the elbow/filter compared to just running the 4150 open? I take it when you go to the track that is what you do?, have you dyno'd with the filter on?

looks great...

that zex plate is .750" thick right?

Chad
The hat is an extreme velocity and I dont beleive there is any restriction. I'll just yank off the filter when at the track. The ram air on the SS hood hits it dead on. I see intake temps drop when its open. I grab 9 without the filter on a md, which is pretty typical. Devon has an aftermarket hood so he has the clearance for a conventional air cleaner and some plates.

The plate advertised 1/2" but its a little more like 9/16"+. I like the plate, hits pretty hard. But then again, I'm only sprayin 100-200
Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

The hat is an extreme velocity and I dont believe there is any restriction. I'll just yank off the filter when at the track. The ram air on the SS hood hits it dead on. I see intake temps drop when its open. I grab 9 without the filter on a md, which is pretty typical. Devon has an aftermarket hood so he has the clearance for a conventional air cleaner and some plates.

The plate advertised 1/2" but its a little more like 9/16"+. I like the plate, hits pretty hard. But then again, I'm only sprayin 100-200
yeah forgot about Devon's hood, very nice, and not that big of a restriction. have you ran it at the track on the 200 hit yet? loving your whole setup....

Chad

Quick Reply: NITROUS ? on Vic Jr.