Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock bottom wear and tear on the rings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Engines
If you have that much crankcase pressor that your pushing the dip stick out YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. It is cheeper to fix it now than it is to burn a piston or break one and have to buy a new block. Yes the damage is already done but it can always get worse. I have seen it and repaired it. BE SMART save your self some money and fix it before it's too late.
i'll never argue with an engine builder, and i apprciate your input, thanks!. i know the only way i can truly know what is causing the exessive blow-by is to dismantle the motor. i'm in the beginning stages for an ls3, plan on using my current heads, i have a cam already picked out. i'm not sure if i will do anything this winter. the car can just sit in the garage, until i'm ready. i would love to do total seal gapless and maybe the srp professinal pistons, but i don't know if it's compatible with the rings and n20.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Launching!

I my self haven't seen much gain using total seals with nos, I would use arkley & childes with an HTD top and break them in with 10w 30 conventional oil. We use a lot of nos on our pro mod and this is our ring of choice. If i can help just let me know
Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Launching!

I my self haven't seen much gain using total seals with nos, I would use arkley & childes with an HTD top and break them in with 10w 30 conventional oil. We use a lot of nos on our pro mod and this is our ring of choice. If i can help just let me know
thanks! i'm just planning on keeping my street car somewhat robust that's all. i have read in engine master mag that the total seal rings hold their compression much longer than the conventional latest thinner rings. i like the idea that the motor can hold 180-190 psi for a long time. i have enough time to pick what i need.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Launching!

if it helps the A&C rings only cost around $165 compared to $270 total seal and we run 4 stages on our promod .
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Launching!

how is the friction coefficient on those rings compared to a conventional ductile iron or stainless steel ring, can they be used for say 80kmi without premature wear?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tune for as close to 12.0 as I can get. My cam only motor has lived through 2 seasons of 150 shots, and a season of 200+ shots and is still going with 132,xxx miles. I've had my hiccups and burned a valve once and a few sets of plugs.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jetblast
how is the friction coefficient on those rings compared to a conventional ductile iron or stainless steel ring, can they be used for say 80kmi without premature wear?
the friction is close to the same as a stainless ring and will last well over 100k with a good tune.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
I tune for as close to 12.0 as I can get. My cam only motor has lived through 2 seasons of 150 shots, and a season of 200+ shots and is still going with 132,xxx miles. I've had my hiccups and burned a valve once and a few sets of plugs.
the friction is close to the same as a stainless ring and will last well over 100k with a good tune.
thanks to both of you for the input. as stated many times throughout this forum,i'm aware the TUNE is key.
so the stainless are top choice?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

well my tuner put the AFR 11.8 and the timing at 24* i am only putting a wet nx single nozzle 100 shot and my mods are in my signature. i dont know much about nitrous is that good or bad and i just dont want the white cloud to shot out of the exhaust when i spray. he knows what he is doing when it comes to tunning but i just want your guys info
Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikemunoz
well my tuner put the AFR 11.8 and the timing at 24* i am only putting a wet nx single nozzle 100 shot and my mods are in my signature. i dont know much about nitrous is that good or bad and i just dont want the white cloud to shot out of the exhaust when i spray. he knows what he is doing when it comes to tunning but i just want your guys info
i rather see 12.2 and 20 on 100.
just finished the compression test .
2,4,6,8,1,3 all gave an initial 150 and climbed to 210 on the 5th crank.
5,7 seemed just a hair lower and climbed to 195.
i used gloves, the engine was hot soaked, it got cooler by the time i got to the odd cylinders.
so, is max press. build up as good as initial { the first stroke}?
i also ckd. vaccum and it pulled a steady 15hg from the neck of the intake.
could it be that the dip stick "o" ring is a bit soft and the rings are worn out with bigger gaps?.
also the blow by was a bit more than blowing through a straw, with the pvc removed and intake ports capped. i have always used 5qts. instead of the 6. so maybe that's why i never see oil spewed out.