Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Nitrous to my turbo setup... have some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
your a lucky man at 19psi and no detontation on 91 octane. just remember that it doesnt take much detonation to ruin your day and a bad tank of gas will prove that. lot of variables. My thing is if you claim no detonation on 19, with meth you should be able to easily see 23-24psi, which would bump you up at least 50hp and be extremely safe. If you wanna get nitrous ebcause you wanna say you have a turbo and nitrous then do it, but i think youd be getting the extra power more safely from meth kit.
well you have to remember i am running 317 heads with thick headgaskets on a 5.3.... so my compression is only 8.4-8.5:1, lol...

I figure i already have the nitrous kit (It was a christmas present from nitrous dave) and im only gonna run a ~35 shot to help the spool time and cool the charge, plus the extra horses....

ive never messed with nitrous that much... if the motor goes im only out $400... so its not like i have big $$$$$ in the motor, im am just curoius to see what nitrous on an lsx motor is like!!! lol

I do appreciate your opinion though.... i am open to all opinions!!!

Keep them coming guys!

thanks,

Blaine
Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it is a new setup, have you checked to see if it will build boost on the transbrake yet, without the spray?

The idea of spraying it on the transbrake is that you can run a much tighter stall and still leave as hard as you want. You still get out of the hole good but you win all the way down the track, putting more power to the wheels with the tighter, more efficient stall. Spraying it on the brake can be hard on things of you do it wrong but, that goes for just about anything.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
Since it is a new setup, have you checked to see if it will build boost on the transbrake yet, without the spray?

The idea of spraying it on the transbrake is that you can run a much tighter stall and still leave as hard as you want. You still get out of the hole good but you win all the way down the track, putting more power to the wheels with the tighter, more efficient stall. Spraying it on the brake can be hard on things of you do it wrong but, that goes for just about anything.
well i can get full boost on the brake but it takes like ~6-8 seconds lol, thats to long...

can i put in a pushbutton for the nitrous and get the motor up to 3000rpm on the brake and bump the nitrous button to get the boost up faster? then hold the button after the transbrake is released???? or will this not work???
Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
well i can get full boost on the brake but it takes like ~6-8 seconds lol, thats to long...

can i put in a pushbutton for the nitrous and get the motor up to 3000rpm on the brake and bump the nitrous button to get the boost up faster? then hold the button after the transbrake is released???? or will this not work???
Well, you don't really want to be "bumping" nitrous on and off. The hardest part is the hit, when it first comes on. It sounds like your stall is a bit looser than ideal for my idea.

The last car I set up this way was a little 6 cylinder that could only muster 2500 rpm on the brake. A 75 shot now flashes it to 3800 and builds ~10 psi in about a second, perfect for a sportsman tree. The spray shuts off at 12 psi where the turbo can hold it up on the stall if still waiting for the tree. Once the spray shuts off, it has to drop back below 3,000 rpm (and still be WOT) for it to turn back on. There is also a 2 step at 4500 while the brake is on, so it can't get too wild (wastegate spring is at 25 psi). These settings were ideal for that particular car/tire/powerband but YMMV significantly so play with it, start on the safe side and keep stepping it up.

Quick Reply: Adding Nitrous to my turbo setup... have some questions!