Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Nitrous to my turbo setup... have some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Nitrous to my turbo setup... have some questions!

Adding nitrous to my turbo setup... 5.3, 317, ls6 cam, FM MPT70, 14psi and 15*.

I won a single nossle nitrous kit from Nitro Dave I was thinking of running a 35 shot with the turbo for the track..

1) how much will the 35shot equate to with the 14psi of boost? like a 70shot????

2) how much timing do i need to pull? I curently run 15* but have ran 21* for a long time with no problems... think itll be ok where its at or should i pull some?

3) How do i keep the nitrous from engaging while im on the trasbrake?

Is there anything else i should know???

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by 1BAD_LS1; 12-30-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Have you thought about spraying the intercooler? It sucks that you wont be able to use the nozzle, but its just a thought.

For every 1* you cool the air charge, you gain 10hp. At least thats what they told us in school, lol. It might add up to more than the 35 shot.

Congrats on winning, by the way.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
Have you thought about spraying the intercooler? It sucks that you wont be able to use the nozzle, but its just a thought.

For every 1* you cool the air charge, you gain 10hp. At least thats what they told us in school, lol. It might add up to more than the 35 shot.

Congrats on winning, by the way.

I did think about spraying the intercooler! but 1*= ~10hp!!! really????? How much nitrous does it use to spray the intercooler for 10 seconds??? lol im a total nitrous noob, lol... do you spray the IC right beofr the run and during the run or just right befor the run???
Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

I dont know how much it would use in that time. But you could wire it up on a wot switch so it sprays just while youre running, or you can just spray it before to save some spray.

If you dont mind me asking, why the 5.3l?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
I dont know how much it would use in that time. But you could wire it up on a wot switch so it sprays just while youre running, or you can just spray it before to save some spray.

If you dont mind me asking, why the 5.3l?
the 5.3:

1) cheap as hell lol
2) the shortbock holds up to one hell of a beating in 100% stock form
3) they seem to last longer at the same power levels as 5.7's
4) did i mention cheap? lmao

Ya they are just a proven motor to take a beating and make cheap FI power.... if it blows ill just buy another $400 motor and run the **** out of it! I have like 8000 miles on mine running 14psi and im not nice at all to my motor!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive always heard 10* = 1% increase in power....
Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

^^Yeah thats it. Sorry about that, that sounds much more reasonable.

It makes me mad when i start forgetting what i learned in school since i cant put it into practice.

Ahh, i see. Thats pretty impressive.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
ive always heard 10* = 1% increase in power....
that makes a little more sense
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unfortuantley to safely run the system its gonna take more then a simple 300 dollar nozzle kit. once you tack on a window switch(rpm spray range), bottle heater, and WOT your paying some money out of pocket. if I were you id sell the nitrous kit for 225 or so and put that towards a methynol kit which will open up a lot more power and safety to the car.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

^ agree with him. There was a big discussion in the forced induction section last week about spraying the intercooler, and turned out that it dont make as much power as everyone thought. If you do plan to keep the nitrous, run the shark nozzle closer to your intake and spray a 50 shot. You shouldnt have to take any timing out but if you do it will only be 1.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

why not just run a meth kit?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

why not just run both?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Restricted User

Well i though about meth/water injection... but i have had my car up to 19psi and 21* timing with no detonation on 91octane pump gas...

So i assumed i wouldn't have much to gain from meth injection...

But from the nitrous I figured i would get instant spool, and cooler AIT, and a few more horses, lol...

If i have to spend the money for the Micro edge im not to worried about it, as i will be doing it later on down the road, just trying to get some info...

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys!!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
Adding nitrous to my turbo setup... 5.3, 317, ls6 cam, FM MPT70, 14psi and 15*.

I won a single nossle nitrous kit from Nitro Dave I was thinking of running a 35 shot with the turbo for the track..

1) how much will the 35shot equate to with the 14psi of boost? like a 70shot????

2) how much timing do i need to pull? I curently run 15* but have ran 21* for a long time with no problems... think itll be ok where its at or should i pull some?

3) How do i keep the nitrous from engaging while im on the trasbrake?

Is there anything else i should know???

Thanks guys!!!
You are on the right track. A methonal kit will never perform as well as the nitrous system will. I have people swap from methonal kits to nitrous all the time. Dont get me wrong a methonal kit does help but the impact is not near as great as the nitrous system.

Keep in mind you have many differnet options. You can simply just use a small shot to cool the intake charge and at the same time have a small power increase or you can back down some of the boost and spray more nitrous. I have boosted guys that want more and have reached a point to where they can not get anymore boost use nitrous and back down on the amount of boost.

Also keep in mind that with a boosted application the affect of the nitrous is greater than it would be VS a N/A motor.

I would suggest using our digital windowswitch with built in TPS activation and gear lock out feature. Or you can use our Progressive controller that has all the added features of the windowswitch as well.

This will keep you from spraying at to low of a rpm, give you a safe shut off point if something were to happen, and a way to controll traction.

I would also use our stage 3 accessory package. With these two intems you will have everything needed to safely spray and keep the system fuctioning to its full pontential.

Here is a progressive.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=4004

Our stage 3 accessory package..
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=3806

Let me know if I can answer any questions...
Dave
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM
FormerVendor

Ohh as far as pulling extra timming.. Either you can do it in the normal tune or if you are using EFI live you can do it with the coss 5. I use the lindenfelter controller on my car and its awesome..
Dave
Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a 100 shot on it, tighten up the stall on your converter a bunch and spray it on the transbrake. You can shut the spray off when you shift second or come off the brake or when you hit a certain amount of boost (if you want to be easy on the motor).
Old 12-30-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, and think about wheelie bars or at least something to save the oil pan if you do a bumper stand.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
You are on the right track. A methonal kit will never perform as well as the nitrous system will. I have people swap from methonal kits to nitrous all the time. Dont get me wrong a methonal kit does help but the impact is not near as great as the nitrous system.

Keep in mind you have many differnet options. You can simply just use a small shot to cool the intake charge and at the same time have a small power increase or you can back down some of the boost and spray more nitrous. I have boosted guys that want more and have reached a point to where they can not get anymore boost use nitrous and back down on the amount of boost.

Also keep in mind that with a boosted application the affect of the nitrous is greater than it would be VS a N/A motor.

I would suggest using our digital windowswitch with built in TPS activation and gear lock out feature. Or you can use our Progressive controller that has all the added features of the windowswitch as well.

This will keep you from spraying at to low of a rpm, give you a safe shut off point if something were to happen, and a way to controll traction.

I would also use our stage 3 accessory package. With these two intems you will have everything needed to safely spray and keep the system fuctioning to its full pontential.

Here is a progressive.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=4004

Our stage 3 accessory package..
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=3806

Let me know if I can answer any questions...
Dave

ya im not familliar with nitrous... but looking at all the safety equipment and accesories i think im gonna wait and save for those items befor i install it...

I think im just gonna us HPtuners and pull like 2* and see where im at...

I will hit you up when i have the funds to buy those accesories... im in the process of buying a house right now so im trying to save all i can.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 05HD
Put a 100 shot on it, tighten up the stall on your converter a bunch and spray it on the transbrake. You can shut the spray off when you shift second or come off the brake or when you hit a certain amount of boost (if you want to be easy on the motor).
My converter is actually a 3000 nitrous stall....

You are saying to use nitrous while on the transbrake??? wouldn't that be hard on it??? lol

I have never had the car to the track yet as i just got it put together not to long ago...

what can i do to save the oil pan ect... incase it launchs and comes down hard?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
Well i though about meth/water injection... but i have had my car up to 19psi and 21* timing with no detonation on 91octane pump gas...

So i assumed i wouldn't have much to gain from meth injection...

But from the nitrous I figured i would get instant spool, and cooler AIT, and a few more horses, lol...

If i have to spend the money for the Micro edge im not to worried about it, as i will be doing it later on down the road, just trying to get some info...

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys!!
your a lucky man at 19psi and no detontation on 91 octane. just remember that it doesnt take much detonation to ruin your day and a bad tank of gas will prove that. lot of variables. My thing is if you claim no detonation on 19, with meth you should be able to easily see 23-24psi, which would bump you up at least 50hp and be extremely safe. If you wanna get nitrous ebcause you wanna say you have a turbo and nitrous then do it, but i think youd be getting the extra power more safely from meth kit.

Quick Reply: Adding Nitrous to my turbo setup... have some questions!