Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

projected vs non-projected plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fukin head is spinning after all this. What plug should I use on my daily driven heads/cam, full bolt on and 150 dry shot ls1? Mods in the sig and I currently have the tr6's in there but have not sprayed it yet. I'm filling the bottle tomorrow and NEED TO KNOW!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

based off the information i have gathered in this thread you should use a br6 or maybe even a 7.id imagine that either of those would be much much more safe then the tr6
Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blk99sleekbeak
based off the information i have gathered in this thread you should use a br6 or maybe even a 7.id imagine that either of those would be much much more safe then the tr6
yeah I'll get the br6's. Now wtf do I gap them at? 32?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Ok so Im a little confused here. I will be spraying a 75shot dry to start with, but when I bought my hsw dry plate kit, hsw said the tr6 would be fine. I have not installed the tr6's yet, but Im thinkin I should of bought the bref7's? The car is 95% street driven and will not be sprayed alot, so Im assuming thats why hsw said the tr6's are ok? I don't want to blow S**T up so I am all ears! Oh and sorry op, not trying to hijack!
That is the perfect example of a street driven car with a small shot where a TR6 would be perfectly acceptable. There is no reason for you to run anything more than that. Now stepping up to a 150 shot or increasing overall HP levels with a cam, heads or raising compression may change the story. Trust me, id never suggest anything that could potentially hurt you and saying a TR6 is ok is not bad advice based on your setup.

now dont get me wrong i certainly agree with Wayne, Robert, baked and everyone else, a non-projected tip plug is more ideal for nitrous use. I have always said that and have always backed that up with actual technical posts demonstrating why its ideal. BUT in YOUR circumstance a TR6 is perctly fine, it has been for 10 years now and that isnt going to change.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said that he wanted to spray 75 "to start with".... No why not just put some br6's in it so that when he does decide to up the shot (we both know he will) he won't have to change plugs again?

I'm not trying to start an argument with you Mike, You guys are actually my favorite of the nitrous sponsors on here.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BAKED
He said that he wanted to spray 75 "to start with".... No why not just put some br6's in it so that when he does decide to up the shot (we both know he will) he won't have to change plugs again?

I'm not trying to start an argument with you Mike, You guys are actually my favorite of the nitrous sponsors on here.
well you're my least favorite member lol jk

I was merely defending the advice he was given, which other people make out to be bad advice. He was basically questioning why we would tell him to use the TR6.

You do bring up a good point, but i dont know what he plans to move up too. A move up to a 150 and i would be recommending the BR7EF so he would be changing plugs again anyway. On a stock motor the TR6 has proved thousands of times to be the plug of choice on smaller shots. I dont recommend it but we both know guys go up to 175 -200 with no problems. I limit the TR6 to around 100-125 on a stock motor. Which is the same range i would give you for the BR6EF.

to me it was just a matter of a TR6 being perfectly fine for his current application and there would be no need to run out to by BR6's and sell the TR6's
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM
9 Second Club

We used at least 50 sets of plugs last year, dont be afraid to buy more than 1 set you cheap bastards!

If your going to the track to spray the car you should have some new plugs to put in it to get a good reading.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
well you're my least favorite member lol jk

I was merely defending the advice he was given, which other people make out to be bad advice. He was basically questioning why we would tell him to use the TR6.

You do bring up a good point, but i dont know what he plans to move up too. A move up to a 150 and i would be recommending the BR7EF so he would be changing plugs again anyway. On a stock motor the TR6 has proved thousands of times to be the plug of choice on smaller shots. I dont recommend it but we both know guys go up to 175 -200 with no problems. I limit the TR6 to around 100-125 on a stock motor. Which is the same range i would give you for the BR6EF.

to me it was just a matter of a TR6 being perfectly fine for his current application and there would be no need to run out to by BR6's and sell the TR6's
I dont plan on spraying more than 100-125 shot in the near future. Thats until the funds become available for the fuel system upgrades and stall. So Im perfectly content with the 75-125 shot range for this season and possibly next. Again this is just a sleeper street car... My main concern is getting familiar with the setup, getting the tune right, and not blowing anything up! Thanks for the input guys. Mike, I have been reading the install manuals for the dry plate/interface/microedge like it's a bible. Been doing a little here and there as far as the install goes. I have been nothing but impressed with how well this setup is put together. Hurry up spring lol!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I dont plan on spraying more than 100-125 shot in the near future. Thats until the funds become available for the fuel system upgrades and stall. So Im perfectly content with the 75-125 shot range for this season and possibly next. Again this is just a sleeper street car... My main concern is getting familiar with the setup, getting the tune right, and not blowing anything up! Thanks for the input guys. Mike, I have been reading the install manuals for the dry plate/interface/microedge like it's a bible. Been doing a little here and there as far as the install goes. I have been nothing but impressed with how well this setup is put together. Hurry up spring lol!
The other nice benefit of running a colder plug when you dont need one is that it will give you more leway in that initial tuning phase. As wayne stated somewhere, you are not going to lose any horsepower by switching from a heat range 6 to 7. What it could effect is your drivability on the street unless you tune for the 7's. What i do on my car is run TR6's on the motor for the street and swap out for BR8EF's when i am at the track and spraying. That's always an option for you and im surprised more people dont do that.

Thanks for the compliments and im just as impressed with you as well. Most guys rip the kit open and start throwing parts in the car, then proceed to make fifty posts asking what to do now. It's great to see someone take the time and get a strong understanding of how nitrous works, but how the system as a whole will interact with each other and essentially wire up together. Great job.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks Mike! I will go ahead and use the tr6's for the 75 shot since I already have them. When I up the shot Ill switch to bref7's. been down that road when I was younger with buying parts and throwing them on with out having a clue. I found that out the hard way with my 96z when i bought a p1sc procharger kit back in 02'. I just started boltin **** up with out taking the time to read and understand what the hell im doin lol. 90% of the problem was the kit was junk tho, anyways I really don't want to make that mistake this time around lol. Live and learn ya know...
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
We used at least 50 sets of plugs last year, dont be afraid to buy more than 1 set you cheap bastards!

If your going to the track to spray the car you should have some new plugs to put in it to get a good reading.
we just started with the plug stuff, but yea we have prolly 6-7 sets of 7's in the trailer with 1-2 passes on them and then 3 brand new sets of 8s in the trailer right now as well. Our local store has the 8's for 1.69 a piece and I can get 200 at a time or the next day, compared to the 7s which they charge 2.49. 8's for me all day. haha.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
I dont recommend it but we both know guys go up to 175 -200 with no problems.
We both also know that people have melted some **** while trying to spray 175-200 on TR6's...
Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I tune quite a few of these LSx cars myself and I do like a non projected plug for nitrous apps but the TR6 is not at all a "bad" plug for these things. I know they arent as good as say a BR6 or 7 but they still arent going to blow a head/cam stock bottom LS1 on a 150 shot either if it's tuned right. The run in my sig is a 6.0L LQ4 with stock 5.3 heads with LS1 valves using TR6's on a NX shark nozzle wet 150 shot. The plugs looked awsome so I use them. I'm sure I could gain a little more safety with a colder plug or a non-projected plug but the tune was also taken into consideration with using the TR6 as well. I'm not running it any richer to be safe cause thats not the right way and sometimes richer can be worse than lean. I like to keep my afr leaner than alot of people like in the mid 12's, then control the heat with the timing. From my experiences these LSx motors don't like rich afr mixtures on spray. I did have quite a bit of timing pulled and worked my way up to where I'm at now. I'm running right at 22.5-23* timing on that setup. I started out right around 20. The car picked up some good mph by adding the timing to where it is now. Seems like alot compared to alot of setups but the 5.3 heads arent that efficient and thats why I think it likes a little more timing than a normal LS6 headed engine.

Not really arguing with you all cause there are alot of good tips in this thread but I'm just stating that the TR6's arent nearly as bad as what everyone in this thread are portraying them to be. But for someone that doesn't tune there own car and has a good knowledge of whats going on then by all means a non-projected plug in the correct heat range will add some safety factor to the setup. I'm going to try the BR7's in this car this spring to see how it reacts. I'm hoping I can get a little more aggressive with the tuneup and pull my trap speeds up and ET down some more on the same shot.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

We both also know that people have melted some **** while trying to spray 175-200 on TR6's...
agree with you fully when i was running the tr6's in my truck on a 175 shot the number 7 plug would burn the strap off about every 2 or 3 months.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Whats the difference between the br7's & br7ef's? Or maybe I should ask, what does the "f" stand for?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
I tune quite a few of these LSx cars myself and I do like a non projected plug for nitrous apps but the TR6 is not at all a "bad" plug for these things. I know they arent as good as say a BR6 or 7 but they still arent going to blow a head/cam stock bottom LS1 on a 150 shot either if it's tuned right. The run in my sig is a 6.0L LQ4 with stock 5.3 heads with LS1 valves using TR6's on a NX shark nozzle wet 150 shot. The plugs looked awsome so I use them. I'm sure I could gain a little more safety with a colder plug or a non-projected plug but the tune was also taken into consideration with using the TR6 as well. I'm not running it any richer to be safe cause thats not the right way and sometimes richer can be worse than lean. I like to keep my afr leaner than alot of people like in the mid 12's, then control the heat with the timing. From my experiences these LSx motors don't like rich afr mixtures on spray. I did have quite a bit of timing pulled and worked my way up to where I'm at now. I'm running right at 22.5-23* timing on that setup. I started out right around 20. The car picked up some good mph by adding the timing to where it is now. Seems like alot compared to alot of setups but the 5.3 heads arent that efficient and thats why I think it likes a little more timing than a normal LS6 headed engine.

Not really arguing with you all cause there are alot of good tips in this thread but I'm just stating that the TR6's arent nearly as bad as what everyone in this thread are portraying them to be. But for someone that doesn't tune there own car and has a good knowledge of whats going on then by all means a non-projected plug in the correct heat range will add some safety factor to the setup. I'm going to try the BR7's in this car this spring to see how it reacts. I'm hoping I can get a little more aggressive with the tuneup and pull my trap speeds up and ET down some more on the same shot.
James, I respect your opinion on this but the fact is that a TR6 is not intended to be a nitrous plug. I never said that your **** will instantly blow up if you ran them. Hell, I have ran them in the past but there is no way in hell I would run them in your setup. You are asking for trouble. Especially if you are leaning it out like you say. I'm not talking about what the wideband says, I'm talking about the plugs. If you are reading the plugs properly and really running it lean with 22.5-23* on a 150 shot then your plugs are on borrowed time IMO.

Like I said, I trust your tuning abilities and I know that you know what you are doing, I'd just hate to see you hurt your new setup. If you are just going off what your wideband is telling you then you are leaving ALOT on the table. Just my .02
Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Not really arguing with you all cause there are alot of good tips in this thread but I'm just stating that the TR6's arent nearly as bad as what everyone in this thread are portraying them to be. But for someone that doesn't tune there own car and has a good knowledge of whats going on then by all means a non-projected plug in the correct heat range will add some safety factor to the setup.
We run a direct port and you would not believe the difference from #1 cyl. to #7 or 8 cyl.
I doubt all your plugs look good. Hell all of our plugs dont look good most times.
We pull every plug every pass so I have seen ALOT of plugs in the past 3 years.
I'd like to see pics of these TR6 plugs that "good" or "fine" or "OK"
If your using a TR6 on a 150 shot H/C car I bet you dont know what your looking at to even say that wether or not its "good"

I'm going to try the BR7's in this car this spring to see how it reacts. I'm hoping I can get a little more aggressive with the tuneup and pull my trap speeds up and ET down some more on the same shot.
Right so using the right plug will let you put the right tune up in the car and it will go faster and ET better..... Novel idea.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

OK you all convinced me that I need to add a little safety net, and pull the TR6's out.
How do I determine what gap to use with the BR7EF plug?
Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

.035 will be fine.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

.035 will be fine.
Then that is what it will be.
Thank You